Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Dave B »

LetsGoMets wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:19 pm Craft Pilsners for me lately. Melvin Brewing up in Jackson has an amazing one aptly named the Pilsgnar.
I feel this. Zwei makes an incredible pilsner. Pivo by Firestone Walker is really good too, glad to see Tap & Handle here in FC has brought that back to their regular rotation.
Make wilderness less accessible.
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

JChitwood wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:57 pm All the real beer drinkers seem to prefer IPAs but they’re just too much brew for me. I have a hard time with the spicy taste and high ABV.

I do enjoy lighter ales and my current favorites are Big Wave Golden Ale, Fire Rock Pale Ale, and Blonde Ale from Kona Brewing.

As to cans, I avoid them at all cost. It’s bottles or no beer for me. Not sure why maybe because I grew up in the south surrounded by rednecks drinking Budweiser in cans and tossing the empties out the windows of their trucks. I’ve had brewers tell me beer tastes better from cans but I suspect they want to move production to cans because it’s cheaper. Always follow the money. Ska True Blonde was my favorite beer for many years but all production is now in cans which I won’t buy.
I also used to avoid beer in cans. Back in the day, few good beers were canned, and I always assumed that the metal would affect the taste. Nowadays, I rarely buy beer in bottles. Here's why:
1) The "good beer comes in bottles/bad beer comes in cans" is almost the exact opposite of that. Most craft beers come in cans only.
2) Cans are so much lighter and take up so much less space, both in my beer fridge and in my cooler. Plus, they are a lot cheaper to transport for the breweries and distributors, meaning they should cost the consumer less, and are better for the environment (significantly less fuel cost).
3) Aluminum does not effect the taste of the beer. The cans have special lining to prevent that. You can always pour into a glass if you feel better about it.
4) Perhaps the best reason for switching from bottles to cans is the fact that UV rays ruin beer. Clear and green bottles are the worst. Ever wonder why imports like Heineken and St. Pauli Girl often taste "skunked?" That's why. Brown bottles do a much better job of filtering out UVs, but a can filters out ALL light, and therefore your beer will stay fresh and unskunked for a long, long time.

I'm a home brewer, and I bottle rather than keg my brews. And I age and store my homebrew in a dark crawl space to avoid skunking. Other than that, I probably drink canned beer 95% of the time. Give it a try! You're missing out on a lot of good beers by avoiding cans.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^replies removed^

Please see the forum rules, above where it states I get to remove posts obviously made to push political views. :)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs