Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by Johnson »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 am It's back on the shelves! And not in as short supply as in the past. Good news for us. 8)

Thank you, Mattman, for letting me know of the arrival!

.hopslam.jpg

I'm on it too!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Johnson wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:59 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 am It's back on the shelves! And not in as short supply as in the past. Good news for us. 8)

Thank you, Mattman, for letting me know of the arrival!

.hopslam.jpg

I'm on it too!
I don't drink beer but I do like a little cowbell....
Look who's posting on the site! Hope you're well Mo
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

Hiking in a somewhat remote part of the Grand Canyon 4 days ago, I detoured out onto a cluster of rocks protruding out to the river. After taking a few pictures I looked down to find an unopened can of beer wedged between the rocks, having no doubt been dislodged by one of the river runners negotiating the rapids along the way.
I didn’t go back and look at all 116 pages of this thread to see if this particular brand of beer has been covered, but it was quite tasty (and cold from the water) and was a rewarding treat after having hiked down many miles from the rim!
Attachments
20C136F2-365A-467E-8728-B70A33D334D3.jpeg
20C136F2-365A-467E-8728-B70A33D334D3.jpeg (441.65 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

kman wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:01 pm Hiking in a somewhat remote part of the Grand Canyon 4 days ago, I detoured out onto a cluster of rocks protruding out to the river. After taking a few pictures I looked down to find an unopened can of beer wedged between the rocks, having no doubt been dislodged by one of the river runners negotiating the rapids along the way.
I didn’t go back and look at all 116 pages of this thread to see if this particular brand of beer has been covered, but it was quite tasty (and cold from the water) and was a rewarding treat after having hiked down many miles from the rim!
Ah 805.
I lived in Paso Robles for a time where Firestone Walker is located. You can get their beer in CO quite easily.

By the way "805" is the area code for California's Central Coast where Paso Robles is located.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I posit that 99 percent of the favorite beers here would be indistinguishable from similar styles in a blind taste test.

Or rather, that people could identify that A and B are different, but not actually identify which one is which.
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

Carl_Healy wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:29 pm
kman wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:01 pm Hiking in a somewhat remote part of the Grand Canyon 4 days ago, I detoured out onto a cluster of rocks protruding out to the river. After taking a few pictures I looked down to find an unopened can of beer wedged between the rocks, having no doubt been dislodged by one of the river runners negotiating the rapids along the way.
Ah 805.
I lived in Paso Robles for a time where Firestone Walker is located. You can get their beer in CO quite easily.

By the way "805" is the area code for California's Central Coast where Paso Robles is located.
Hey I appreciate the insight on this brand of beer! I haven’t been a big beer drinker for many years now - hence my lack of knowledge about this brand and its availability - but this beer was tasty enough that I’ll definitely look for some when I get back to Colorado in a few days. Thanks again.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:38 am False
Ok, Corona notwithstanding.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

I'm not normally one who gravitates to frootbeers, but this is a good one. No surprise though, Ommegang is a great brewery. This one is a Saisson, with some hibiscus flowers and chardonnay grape juice. Tasty, clean and not too leaded. 7.7 abv.

frootbeer.jpg
frootbeer.jpg (167.97 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

I'm too young to drink beer; although, that doesn't mean I haven't tried quite a few different types. I don't really have a favorite because everytime I try, it tastes terrible. Does the taste get better as you get older? Is there even an appeal to start drinking when I do reach the age of 21?
Be the best you that you can be.
pcsongei
14ers: 15 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pcsongei »

Salient wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:41 am I'm too young to drink beer; although, that doesn't mean I haven't tried quite a few different types. I don't really have a favorite because everytime I try, it tastes terrible. Does the taste get better as you get older? Is there even an appeal to start drinking when I do reach the age of 21?
Haha... not really. Beer is definitely an acquired taste that some just never acquire. I will say that binge drinking in college helped me "like" beer and over time I have gravitated towards tastier and richer beers. IPAs and similar Pale Ales can be dry and bitter, which isn't really an appealing taste to a newer drinker, so that's kind of a tough hurdle to get past.

I live in Colorado so obviously I'm an IPA and Pale Ale drinker, but I do enjoy the occasional stout or darker beer. I'm a big fan of my friend's beers - he's the head brewer at Over Yonder Brewing in Golden, right up the street from Red Rocks. Check them out if you are hiking or biking or just in the area to ski! They are located in the little plaza right next to all the park n' ride lots.
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

I've really been enjoying this Powder Run but it's hard to find in liquor stores. I need to visit the brewery itself.
Attachments
camphoto_1804928587-2.JPG
camphoto_1804928587-2.JPG (38.07 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

Kinda curious. How many others here do trades with folks around the country? I have four others I do trades with (North Dakota, Michigan, New York & North Carolina). Works pretty good too! :)