Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by highpilgrim »

Johnson wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:26 amHow was it?
I thought it pretty good. I'm not a huge Stone fan, although I like Enjoy By quite a bit. But this was clean and not syrupy like a lot of the high-lead IPAs can be. Like O'dell's Myrcenary for example which I like but can't drink more than one.

Good. Clean. With a little tang from the tea I suppose. Very subtle. They did a Japanese Green Tea based IPA a while back and I haven't seen that for a time so this new one was welcome.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Is mentioning White Claw in this thread considered trolling? Asking for a friend.
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:48 pm
gb wrote:Just got back from Europe, what a rude awakening to once again be subjected to the unbalanced overly hopped swill that passes as beer in the States. I wish good Dunkels were easier to find here.
Germans are clueless when it comes to beer.

Dunkel is the pumpernickel of beers. Gross.
Dunkel is a somewhat generic term. Some would include Alt bier, which is just the most lovely style of brew (especially when conditioned+served Duesseldorf style).
CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:00 pm Couldn't agree with @gb more. Drinking these smoked beers (yes they force smoke them during their brewing process) from Bamberg, Germany where I lived for 4 years is like drinking cream....so smooth. You can't compare it to the horse urine they call beer here in the States.
Guess that would be Bamberger Rauchbier.

Some good examples of unusual german specialty beers are available in the Denver area:
-A Schwarzbier at Wynkoop that is pretty nice; not as smoky but with the nice toasty flavors typical of that style.
-A Fredersdorfer at Seedstock; a rarely brewed historical style; their Altbier is pretty good too.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

mtnkub wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:11 pm
CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:00 pm Couldn't agree with @gb more. Drinking these smoked beers (yes they force smoke them during their brewing process) from Bamberg, Germany where I lived for 4 years is like drinking cream....so smooth. You can't compare it to the horse urine they call beer here in the States.
Guess that would be Bamberger Rauchbier.

Some good examples of unusual german specialty beers are available in the Denver area:
-A Schwarzbier at Wynkoop that is pretty nice; not as smoky but with the nice toasty flavors typical of that style.
-A Fredersdorfer at Seedstock; a rarely brewed historical style; their Altbier is pretty good too.
Haha Yes! Rauchbier! Such amazing memories. The people, their hospitality, their metzgerei's, brats and brotchen, and my favorite Klosterbräu, the oldest brewery in Bamberg. If I still lived there I'd be a fat alcoholic. Now I'm just fat and out of shape!
Thanks for the tips!
I should be on a mountain
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

if your are ever in Colombia, you have to try Bogota Brewing Company. They have an excellent Porter and Coffee Stout. Seasonally they run a chocolate porter that is tremendous. Casica is a honey ale probably their most popular.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

If you ever find yourself in Macedonia Skopsco beer is very popular. Wouldn't call it a favorite but it is beer.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Voshkm wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm if your are ever in Colombia, you have to try Bogota Brewing Company. They have an excellent Porter and Coffee Stout. Seasonally they run a chocolate porter that is tremendous. Casica is a honey ale probably their most popular.
Interesting! Me, found a pretty awesome brewery in Peru. Sacred Valley Brewery (Cerveceria del Valle Sagrado). There was something familiar about their experimental style. They are 100% locally owned, but one of the brewers speaks 'merican like a native. Turns out he went to school at CU Boulder.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Another new offering from my weekly beer run. I've always liked Ommegang so I'm looking forward to trying this later today.

sour small.jpg
sour small.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

How was the cherry sour, Pilgrim?
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

greenonion wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 am How was the cherry sour, Pilgrim?
It was VERY good! I worked outside in the yard, a 90 degree day almost, moving 15 yards of mulch. It was HOT!

That sour, prepped in the freezer, was manna. Very high clarity, relatively low ABV (5.5) It went down in two long pulls. Immediately, another went into the freezer. I'll definitely be drinking more over the coming summer. :mrgreen:
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

highpilgrim wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 am
greenonion wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 am How was the cherry sour, Pilgrim?
It was VERY good! I worked outside in the yard, a 90 degree day almost, moving 15 yards of mulch. It was HOT!

That sour, prepped in the freezer, was manna. Very high clarity, relatively low ABV (5.5) It went down in two long pulls. Immediately, another went into the freezer. I'll definitely be drinking more over the coming summer. :mrgreen:
Great to hear! I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the tip!
mikjik86
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (9)

Post by mikjik86 »

I am lucky enough to work for the best Beer Distributor in Colorado!

CSA (Crooked Stave Artisan)
http://www.csartisans.com/

We have over 70 brands in our portfolio with the vast majority being from outside of Colorado. We focus on artisanal craft beer with some of the most sought after product around.

Some of our breweries include,

Crooked Stave - Denver, Colorado
Fremont - Seattle, Washington
La Cumbre - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ecliptic - Portland, Oregon
Toppling Goliath - Decorah, Iowa
Old Nation - Williamston, Michigan
Two Roads - Stratford, Connecticut
Untitled Art - Waunakee, Wisconsin

Among that line-up we have Hard Kombucha, Hard Ciders, Gluten Free Beer from Ghostfish Brewing, and others!

Check us out!