Steripen vs. Classic Water Filter

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Steripen vs. Classic Water Filter

Post by ezabielski »

I've use Aquamira for 3000 miles of long distance hiking, and pretty much all shorter trips too. If I am doing really big miles sometimes I walk while mixing the two parts while I am approaching a water source. Then I just fill my bottle, dump the mix in, and keep walking.

I would definitely never use a traditional pump filter. Maybe a Sawyer regular if I ever had a reason to switch. I'd recommend not getting the Sawyer Mini over the regular one though. A lot of people start the PCT with the Mini because it's lighter, and ditch it almost immediately in favor of the regular one because of how laborious it becomes to actually get water through it.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

justiner wrote: The shear annoyance of the Steripen telling you that it couldn't do it's job correctly can lead one to madness. Madness, I say.
Ha, madness indeed! Not sure how much they've changed in the last ~5-6 years, but how 'bout when you see the UV light turn on briefly, and then the maddening red light...then you wipe it off, maybe blow on the batteries or warm them up or shake them...try again, same thing. Then 8 minutes have gone by, and you wonder if the small intermittent UV flashes, cumulatively, have helped purify anything...You're now doing fuzzy math in your head, when you accidentally dump your bottle -- sh1t! -- now you think you weren't that thirsty in the first place, and if you had just kept running, you'd be 12 minutes closer to the TH (minus some time for extra dehydration -- say, what is a good factor for that? More thinking....)

MADNESS!

That said, I've never gotten sick from it when it did work, and only used it on running trips with clear-ish creek water. Also have brought it traveling internationally to treat tap water. Guess a couple years (and really only a couple dozen uses) is what I had gotten out of it. I didn't know about the Sawyer mini and similar until the last couple years so will look into that, also agree with something more predictable/maintainable/reusable/sustainable.
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

With cold temps, there are some things to consider regarding your choice. I have a Sawyer Mini, Micropur tablets and a Katadyn Hiker Pro (pump). Have never used a Steripen. From what I see, each has a downside in winter. I am going from memory from the packaging (which is long since thrown out) and from sales people at the store ... so please correct me if I am wrong.

Sawyer can get damaged if it freezes, possibly rendering it useless.
Micropur stresses to wait the full four hours with really cold water.
Katadyn pump filters can freeze. It will not get damaged, but you need to thaw it out.
Steripen has batteries which die in cold.

I suppose I could just carry one of the above devices inside my jacket to keep it warm but I already carry many temperature sensitive items inside my jacket on really cold days. Cell phone, camera, headlamp, extra batteries (for all) and now I am looking at getting a Delorme Explorer. It is starting to get ridiculously bulky and awkward.

Just curious what other people are doing for water purification in cold winter conditions. Has anyone had success wrapping temp sensitive items in hand warmer type heat packs and keeping in your pack? Has anyone had success thawing out a pump filter by dropping it in water heated on your camp stove?
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Started with Pur filter (hand pump) - graduated to Steripen in 2006. On my second one. Broke it in at Chicago Basin, used it out of country more than once. Never a problem. Battery life never an issue (I take them out after each trip) - Lithium batteries work fine. I always carry tablets and the cap filter that comes with the Steripen - depending on the model purchased. Biggest issue is that it does not work in water with high turbidity. Have to do a few hoops when you encounter that. In the winter I am usually melting snow, but if there is a water source, I have not had cold issues with it so far.
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

I had an MSR Sweetwater and I loved it, all except for that it clogged and broke on the first day of a backpacking trip in Granite Canyon in the Tetons. From then on I have used Aqua Mira for how cheap it is and that it doesn't break. However, the taste tends to annoy some people if your used to the pure taste of a pump filter.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

dpage wrote:I have a Steripen which has worked on most trips but had it fail at Capitol lake and it wasn't because of the batteries. During that trip I used tablets which I carry as a backup but was annoyed that over the course of 2 years the pen stopped working consistently. Since then I switched to the Sawyer mini and use a liter platypus bottle and like it. It's lighter. Less parts to mess up or break. Significantly cheaper.
Been using Steripen for 6 years now and love it ! Have used it for travel in central america but 80% in the high peaks and lakes of the Elks. As echoed here already, it does not address a turbidity issue but filters particulates and kills viruses.

As for the problem "dpage" had at Capitol Lake, you will have with almost all alpine water sources the are "too pure". Yes, I said "Too Pure". The two electrodes of the Steripen units need just enough mineral content in the water to bridge the current connection. Steripen advises that you use a small pinch of salt in your bottle to eliminate this issue. I have had this happen, researched it and it works !! No your water does NOT taste salty. Just a pinch to a liter has no effect on the taste.

So to be clear, I recommend you keep a sandwich bag with salt (2 tablespoons? or 2-3 salt packs from fast-food )with the unit. So when you are using the Steripen in a High Alpine water source and the "Sad Face" come on the screen by itself (No low battery symbol), take a "pinch" of salt an drop it into your Nalgene shack it around for a minute and your Pen will work fine. As stated in this post lithium batterie don't like severe cold so I just keep them in a pocket close to my body when the conditions suggest it might be too cold.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

I have a steripen and haven't used it in a few years but it works pretty well. It's fast, reasonably light, and doesn't affect water taste. My 2 favorites these days are the sawyer squeeze and aqua mira. Typically I'll use the sawyer for over night trips and aqua mira for day excursions. (Aqua mira also works as a back up on longer trips)

I think the steri pen actually excels in cold conditions (with Lithium Ion batteries) when there's still liquid water available. It's not susceptible to damage from cold and it's treatment time isn't affected by cold water. I used it for 16 days of late spring backpacking; sometimes we had to punch holes in the ice to get water but the steripen was trouble free.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I just picked up a steripen a few weeks ago for a camping trip. Mine came with a pre-filter that screws onto your Nalgene, which helps with the larger debris in the water. I didn't need to use the pre-filter, just used the steripen. It's deceptively quick, to the point where you think 'that's it?' and wonder if it actually did anything. But it worked great, and keeps the water tasting cold and fresh (as opposed to boiling it or using tablets).
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

I have used both. My MSR Sweetwater works fine; just a bit slow to set up and use properly. I was on an outing once where a fellow climber had a Steripen, and after observing the speed and simplicity in purifying a liter of water, I bought one. I only take the MSR or Steripen on multi-day excursions. For a day outing (typically 10+ miles) a 1.6 liter hydration reservoir is sufficient for me. I always carry iodine tablets (very old school) in my emergency kit, just in case I need to purify a liter or 2. I've never suffered from Giardia.

I like the Steripen; it is relatively light, fast, and simple to use. I do carry spare lithium batteries if I plan to rely on the Steripen during a multi-day outing.
Phil
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

pmeadco wrote:Well, since people are talking about "no problems", I can say that I often drink untreated water with no problems. If I'm up high and the water is coming off a slope that has no beavers, no standing water, and no significant human activity then I take my chances and draw water right out of the stream. Never had a problem.
Solid advice here.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

50% of people are immune to giardia. I wouldn't trust anecdotal evidence about effectiveness, or about drinking untreated water.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Jim Davies wrote:50% of people are immune to giardia. I wouldn't trust anecdotal evidence about effectiveness, or about drinking untreated water.
Well hell, Jim, if you can't trust anecdotal stories from a random nicknamed stranger on the Internet, what in this world CAN you trust?

As a counterpoint to that story, I could relate my experience helping retrieve a dead body (yes, human) out of a mountain stream a few hundred yards upstream from a trail crossing... How's that pure, cool mountain water sounding now?

Filtering your water is like wearing a seatbelt... Many people could probably get away with it and claim they've never had a problem... but other people's experiences don't mean anything as to predicting your own fortunes and you REALLY don't want to be the one guy who does have a problem.