Alternative to the Flat Overhand knot (aka EDK)

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Alternative to the Flat Overhand knot (aka EDK)

Post by polar »

I know this is more of a discussion for MP (and it has been posted over there), but I figure I should post it here for the rock climbers and even canyoneers who don't frequent MP.

For the people who use the Flat Overhand knot to join two ropes for rappelling, you're probably fully aware of the risk of the Flat Overhand "rolling" or "capsizing".

I've used the EDK for over a decade with no problems, but I always made sure I left a foot long tail on it in case it rolled. Just the fact I have to do that makes me somewhat uncomfortable with the EDK. Well, I thought I came up with a better knot: it's pretty easy to tie, has a flat side for ease of pulling, and doesn't seem like it will roll. But apparently, this knot has already been tested and published as early as 2003. It's probably a variation of a double overhand knot.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Alternative to the Flat Overhand knot (aka EDK)

Post by GregMiller »

Links to published articles? (Yeah I'm feeling lazy). It does look like something worth playing around with. I like the EDK and have no qualms myself, but that's in single-body-weight situations.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

My understanding is limited, but to me the main point of using simple knots is that it makes it easy for both you and your partner to double check that the knot is tied correctly. Bowline accidents are pretty common even though it is a safe knot, simply because it is harder to tie correctly and less people know it so double checking is harder. Your knot looks cool but it seems like it would fall into that camp. If you showed it to me to double check I would have to trust you that it's tied correctly because I don't know it. EDK is so easy to tie, check and everybody knows it. Long tails are a must and tying two EDKs back to back will also help.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

What Brian C said...+1. Although it is interesting.
cschmidt1023
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cschmidt1023 »

As bulky as tracing a figure 8 with the 2nd rope is - I have never had that get stuck when pulled.

When I know there is more risk of the ropes getting stuck I use double fishermans.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

If a knot has a weakness, it's important to be aware of that.

My comment on this revolves around.....simple is better. What's wrong with a Figure 8 on a bight to tie ropes together? What about a double grapevine/double fishermans? I have used both often and find them safe, easy to tie, (the 8 is also easy to untie after it's been weighted) and easy to check that they are tied correctly

In some cases a "smaller" knot is wanted due to pulling your ropes after a rappel.....I get that. In some cases the smaller size/profile of an overhand may help. Rope management plays into ropes getting stuck more often than the knot used....IMO

Over my 40+ years climbing Yosemite and Tahoe and all over I have kept it simple you might say. Sure, bew techniques come about, new knots, better gear. If something can be shown to actually be " better" that's great. If it's simply "different" I'm gonna ask myself some questions before doing it or using it.
Last edited by oldschool on Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Brian C wrote:My understanding is limited, but to me the main point of using simple knots is that it makes it easy for both you and your partner to double check that the knot is tied correctly. Bowline accidents are pretty common even though it is a safe knot, simply because it is harder to tie correctly and less people know it so double checking is harder. Your knot looks cool but it seems like it would fall into that camp. If you showed it to me to double check I would have to trust you that it's tied correctly because I don't know it. EDK is so easy to tie, check and everybody knows it. Long tails are a must and tying two EDKs back to back will also help.
Before the EDK became popular, double fisherman’s knot was the tried and trusted knot for joining two ropes, the Flemish bend was a distant second. The EDK is certainly simpler to tie, but I think the raise in its popularity was mainly due to the fact that it has a “flat” side. When pulling the rope, the knot tend to roll away from the rock, leaving the flat side to glide over any edges or lips, so it’s easier to pull. That was the main reason I switched from the double fisherman to the EDK anyway.

You certainly have a valid point that a simpler knot is easier to check, but I’m not sure if that’s a good enough reason to use a knot that has the inherent ability to roll. EDK is the only knot we climbers use that has its own disclaimer: the EDK is great! As long as you leave a foot long tail, and always pull all four strands to dress it, and only use it for bodyweight applications, and be careful with wet rope, or new rope, or really slick rope… You’re also right that by tying a second overhand in the tail you can eliminate the risk of rolling, maybe we should all do this if we use the EDK, but I have never seen anyone do it in real life. I’ve used the EDK for years, but I was never comfortable with the fact that I’m placing all my faith in a knot that I don’t even trust to hold my shoe laces (coincidentally I use the double overhand to tie my shoe laces, which is much less likely to come undone than a simple overhand).

The knot I posted above is a double overhand, basically an overhand with an extra wrap. It is the knot many climbers use to “backup” the re-threaded figure eight, so it’s not really a new knot, but one that most of us already know and use. It is not that much more complicated to tie and check than a simple overhand. There may be a few different ways to tie the double overhand, but they all end up the same knot. Comparing to a bowline, I know four different variations of it for tying in, and that’s not counting the various finishes and with the tail on the inside or on the outside of the loop. So bowline is a much more complicated knot to tie and inspect. Even with all its downfalls, I still use the bowline when I project something I’m expected to fall many times (I use a particular bowline that I think is much safer than the other variations). But to say the bowline is more accident prone, I’d like to see some numbers and sources.

In the end though, I agree that some people don’t like (or have a hard time) learning a bunch of different knots, so maybe the EDK is the best knot for them to keep it simple. I personally like to delve into the minute technical aspect of things, and I have a bunch knots filed away in my head, that’s why I like to think about those.
GregMiller wrote:Links to published articles? (Yeah I'm feeling lazy).
The person who said it has been tested, hasn't posted the article yet.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I guess I'm less lazy in the morning after some coffee:
http://www.rockandice.com/climbing-gear ... better-edk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't seem to have any advantages.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

oldschool wrote:
My comment on this revolves around.....simple is better. What's wrong with a Figure 8 on a bight to tie ropes together? What about a double grapevine/double fishermans? I have used both often and find them safe, easy to tie, (the 8 is also easy to untie after it's been weighted) and easy to check that they are tied correctly
When you say “figure 8 on a bight”, do you mean the Flemish bend?

Anyway, you’re right that there’s nothing inherently wrong with the Flemish bend or the double fisherman’s, they are both very strong for joining two ropes. But both knot has an edge all the way around, which can get caught on a lip. I’ve never gotten a double fisherman’s knot truly stuck, but I have had uncomfortable moments when the double fisherman’s knot got caught on an edge momentarily. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has experience that “uh oh” moment when you feel that sudden stop on the rope as you’re pulling it down. A combination of flipping and tugging in different directions always dislodged it, but it happens much less with the EDK. The EDK didn’t become popular because it’s fashionable, but because its flat side makes it glide over edges and easier to pull.
GregMiller wrote:I guess I'm less lazy in the morning after some coffee:
http://www.rockandice.com/climbing-gear ... better-edk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doesn't seem to have any advantages.
That R&I article has been posted over in MP too, but it’s not the same article someone referred to earlier in that thread (supposedly published in 2003). So this knot isn’t new or ground breaking. Interestingly, the R&I article mentioned this knot can roll, but the person mentioned the 2003 article said it can’t. There is a very subtle difference between the knot showed in the R&I article, and the knot I showed in my original post. If anyone care enough to play around with a piece of rope, you will see the difference. The knot showed in the R&I article is tied by forming a single loop first, then wrap the tail twice around the strand inside the loop. It’s the same knot many use to backup the re-threaded figure eight tie-in: with the tail of the rope pointing upwards, form two loops DOWNWARDS (wrapping around the working strand once), then bring the tail up through the two loops. The knot I showed in my original post is tied by forming two loops UPWARDS (again assume the tail of the rope is pointing upwards), then bring the tail down, then up through the two loops. It’s a little hard to describe with words, but if you play around with a piece of rope, you may see the difference. Both are essentially the same knot, but when the knot is tied using the first two methods, there is a loop of rope around the working strand of the rope, and if you pull the working strands apart 180 degrees like in a rappel, that loop of rope is being pulled open. You can flip this loop of rope to the top of the knot (toward the tail), and now you end up with the knot I posted in my original post. In this form, I couldn’t get the knot to roll any further, because now the working strands are pulling apart that loop of rope that is essentially around the whole knot (not just around the working strands). I know, I know, only a knot geek will find this interesting. I suspect the R&I article claimed this knot can roll because it flipped once from the first form to the second, but I’m willing to bet that once the knot is in the second form, it will not roll again. That's probably when the rope broke at the knot in the R&I pull test. I’d love to see the pull test, or a pull test of the knot in its second form. The EDK can roll unlimited times until it rolls off the tail, like the video I posted shows.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

but I figure I should post it here for the rock climbers and even canyoneers who don't frequent MP.
One reason why climbers and canyoneers like the EKD on rappels is because when it is pulled over a sharp corner, the knot automatically turns to face away from the rock and thus there is much less abrasion on the rope than on knots such as the double fisherman or the one you have pictured.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Scott P wrote:One reason why climbers and canyoneers like the EKD on rappels is because when it is pulled over a sharp corner, the knot automatically turns to face away from the rock and thus there is much less abrasion on the rope than on knots such as the double fisherman or the one you have pictured.
I can understand why you say that about the double fisherman’s knot, but what makes you say the EDK can automatically turn away from the rock, and this knot can’t?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I can understand why you say that about the double fisherman’s knot, but what makes you say the EDK can automatically turn away from the rock, and this knot can’t?
Looking at it closer, maybe it can. It sounds worth a try.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.