Knee issues

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Knee issues

Post by Wentzl »

Jay521 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 am Subject: Knee issues
kaiman wrote:My dad (aged 77) has had meniscus issues in one of his knees on and off for the last 10 years, probably caused by the 25 years he spent ski patrolling and skiing bumps at Vail. He has also been an avid mountain biker for the last 15 years and unlike everyone else in his peer group is the only one who has not had surgery on his knees.

Kai
Your Dad has just become my hero...
I don't understand this "hero worship". When I was 56 years old I had a meniscus tear removed by surgery. Repair or remove were the two options, mine was too far gone so they snipped it, in a procedure described by a spinal surgeon I was consulting with as, "like clipping a hangnail".

My experience was that it was like flipping a switch. From agony to ecstasy. I had been limping along with the damaged knee for many years until it just finally got to be too much.

Anyone reading this thread wondering about a meniscus tear who has the means, but not the conviction to go under the knife; get it done!

So where is the virtue in the old dude who has resisted knee surgery longer than any of his peers?
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

litote312 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:38 pm Anyone have experience with or advice for patellar tendinitis? Sports doctor said rest and time, been 6 weeks now and I'm definitely getting antsy.
Ugh. I got this from overuse early August 2017. To make a long story very short, here are the things that have helped me the most:

1) Dosing NSAIDs. I don't like it, but preventing inflammation has been the single most effective measure to avoid flare-ups. I use the Aleve small caps (250? mg) so it's really peanuts compared to what some people guzzle on a daily basis. 1 to start, 1 at the halfway point, both with food and water. I don't do it on shorter hikes, or if the downhill is particularly brutal I'll just take 1 before starting down. Since starting this last October I've had no issues.

2) Keep your knees bent. When your legs are fatigued on steep downhills it can be hard to do, but this is when you need to be most vigilant. Watch videos of runners downhilling on the Hardrock, and do that--center of gravity low, knees always bent even when leading. Takes a bit of getting used to.

3) Cho-Pat strap from Medi-Dyne (the original, cheapest one). This is what the ortho recommended and was clutch for a while, but I think I got used to it. Still, I wear one on both knees on most hikes. By applying pressure to the lower part of the patellar tendon, it helps force the patella to stay in its groove and off your femur.

4) Ice climbing November to May. Basically, icing your knees all day, all winter.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

There are so many variables to why we get pain in various parts of our legs and feet. However, strength and flexibility are the two factors that for me have made the most difference when I have had issues, including Patellar Tendinitis.

1] A balanced strength training routine that ensures you equally develop Quads and Hamstrings and other smaller muscle groups of your lower body (Hip Flexors, Calfs, Groin etc..) seems to cure a lot of ills for me.

2] Flexibility might be even more important. Tight muscles leads to imbalances that exert force in ways that contribute to inflammation and pain. I find Yoga is a tremendous way to help maintain flexibility, however, you need to make sure when you do stretching that you hold stretches for a longer duration (I use 2 minutes). Over time the longer duration stretches will help elongate your muscle fibers in a more permanent way than just short duration stretches.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

TravelingMatt wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:44 am squat/deadlift
+1. Can't go wrong with squats. Plus they help with those big step-ups on class 1-2 trails.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
JDG7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JDG7 »

as others said, many factors, and each person is unique. used to have knee issues. dropped 23% of body weight was key. then set running program that is moderated, low volume, low intensity. and then transition most of your focus to cycling. much better for those with knee issues. and devote 8-12 hours week on cycling strengthening the lower body. finally, focus on posterior chain strengthening and stretching routines, and do some yoga. your mountaineering will transform over time.
bfaulkne
14ers: 24  3 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bfaulkne »

I heard about this guy on the Joe Rogan podcast. He has the "Zero" program that is supposed to help with knee issues. Can't say I've tried it, so I can't personally vouch for it, but here it is.

https://www.atgonlinecoaching.com/