Any pack rafters out there?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Any pack rafters out there?

Post by TomPierce »

Hey all,

Any Colorado-based pack rafters out there? I've been doing some this year to explore various remote sections of NW Colorado and the more I do it, the more I'm intrigued by the process. I am absolutely no expert, not remotely close, and to be honest any sort of whitewater freaks me out in a tiny pack raft (mine weighs 38 oz., fwiw). No real interest for hard core stuff. But anyone out there want to connect, or alternatively want to share some favorite routes? Thanks!

-Tom
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Any pack rafters out there?

Post by Scott P »

Are you speaking of Dinosaur National Monument? I can't think of anywhere else in NW Colorado where a packraft would be advantageous.

PS, what kind of packraft do you have?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Yeah, Scott, DNM is the obvious pick. I've done bits of the Yampa and Green, and it looks like an ambitious pack raft trip that I and 2 buddies had planned out that way will fall through for lack of decent flow on the Yampa. Our planned dates are a couple of weeks out, but the rainfall forecast is pretty parched. Pun intended.

But I've heard of the Escalante route (in Utah, of course), which looks feasible to me, but apparently the timing is pretty crucial. Wondering if there are other river routes that look fun and reasonably safe, e.g. the Colorado at or past Grand Junction. There are a couple of interesting peaks just off that river, that'd be a cool trip.

I have a Klymit Light Water Dinghy. Cheap-o, for sure (my new carbon fiber paddle costs more than the boat :lol: ). Mixed emotions about it. Very stable..maybe too stable, it tracks like a pig. But pretty sturdy (same denier fabric as the Alpaca boats) and at 38 oz. the weight is really good. I did a one day trip this year, down the Green just a bit (1.5 miles?) to the low saddle on the north end of Steamboat Rock (I was doing a recon for routes there...) and then carried all the way over and back down to above the confluence of the Green and Yampa. I used the current to avoid any tough paddling. A 93 degree day in July, pretty hot in the basalt notch I ascended, and I appreciated the boat's light weight that day. Then I dropped back down to the river, basically my route was connecting the gap formed by the "horseshoe" of the river around Steamboat. A short trip but a ton of fun.

-Tom
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Yeah, Scott, DNM is the obvious pick. I've done bits of the Yampa and Green, and it looks like an ambitious pack raft trip that I and 2 buddies had planned out that way will fall through for lack of decent flow on the Yampa. Our planned dates are a couple of weeks out, but the rainfall forecast is pretty parched. Pun intended.
Yes, the Yampa is pretty low in the fall, even for a packraft, especially since it isn't dam controlled. From August through October (late August and early September is when the river is lowest), it's actually hikable for the entire section of Dinosaur National Monument with no more than waste deep water.
But I've heard of the Escalante route (in Utah, of course), which looks feasible to me, but apparently the timing is pretty crucial.
Timing is critical because there are only narrow time windows where enough water is available. In dry years, those windows don't happen at all.
Wondering if there are other river routes that look fun and reasonably safe, e.g. the Colorado at or past Grand Junction. There are a couple of interesting peaks just off that river, that'd be a cool trip.

I'd suggest a canoe over a packraft for that section of river, unless you are coming in overland.

Some rivers that are good for packrafting are the Dirty Devil, Price, or San Rafael Rivers. Sometimes Muddy Creek (the Utah one). I think parts of the Delores would be good as well and there is lots to explore (though there are some good rapids in high water).

If you want to combine packrafting with climbing, canyoneering, or hiking, the Colorado River below and above Moab is good.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

We aren't local to Colorado any longer, but there is some fun to be had pack rafting here in West Texas and New Mexico! I'm still brand new to this as well, but I had a blast taking a trip through Mariscal Canyon on the Rio Grande in Big Bend NP early this winter (one Alpacka raft and one Kokopelli Dart I think).

The Rio Grande in BIBE is crazy high right now, but it seems like the winter months are a great time for pack rafting because the water level drops to an acceptable level and it isn't two million degrees in the canyons. Something to consider if you haven't visited Big Bend before. Nothing quite like seeing those limestone walls from the center of the river!
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Saw this just now, but I have a route that drops in thru Needles- Colorado River- Spanish Bottom- Dollhouse (Maze)- Water Canyon- Green River backpack out of Needles in mind. I will let you know how it goes. But I read a report online where someone did this recently over Thanksgiving and they had a great time.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Canyonlands is an obvious & excellent place for Class 1 packrafting. Here’s a route we did covering all 4 Districts of CNP:
http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/the-quad-trek/
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

TomPierce wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am I have a Klymit Light Water Dinghy. Cheap-o, for sure (my new carbon fiber paddle costs more than the boat :lol: ). Mixed emotions about it. Very stable..maybe too stable, it tracks like a pig. But pretty sturdy (same denier fabric as the Alpaca boats) and at 38 oz. the weight is really good.

-Tom
How has your Klymit held up over the years? I am just beginning to look into a packraft. I don't have grand ambition for whitewater. I'd really just like to float down rivers for overnight trips. A lightweight raft seems like it would work for me, but I'm interested in any feedback people have on this idea.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hey Dubsho!

The Klymit boat has held up very well over the years, I store it out of the sun in my garage. My initial comments below remain unchanged, but I really think it's a true backpacker's tool, e.g. it's good for crossing rivers/lakes but it's not really meant for any sort of distance travel. Maybe a couple of miles, but it'd be a challenge to effectively carry a heavy pack, etc. It's a good limited use tool. I last used it to cross the Green River on an attempt to climb Steamboat Rock, so we were carrying a day pack but a pretty heavy one with tech gear.

If you want to get into overnight river travel I'd look into a used packraft on eBay, etc. Fwiw I bought a packraft brand new off eBay, it was designed in Germany but manufatured in China. IMO it has some design features superior to the domestic boats (Alpacka) and was far cheaper. It's held up really well and is designed for overnight use, e.g. it has a rear zipper to allow internal (inside the pontoons) storage of packs. I've used it on overnighters and it's done super well. Fwiw, I now mostly use an IK, Aire Lynx I. Both are good little boats! Feel free to PM me with any more questions, I love the river stuff.

-Tom
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

FYI, there is a fair amount of discussion about packrafting over on backpackinglight dot com. As you would imagine it fits well with the lightweight backpacking enthusiasts.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Thank you both!