What are some good "adventure cars"?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are some good "adventure cars"?

Post by two lunches »

Jharrell wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:51 pm Will a Z71 sub with a set of KO-2’s get me to all 14er trailheads?
driver skill matters as much as what you're driving. if you know what you're doing, it will probably get you to just about every upper TH except for Lake Como
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
cheechaco
14ers: 23 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cheechaco »

I recently rented a Chevy Blazer on a trip to NY. Drove up to the Adirondacks, slept in the back to climb to state HP. I am used to sleeping in my full size truck bed, but was really impressed with the Blazer. The seats fold completely flat with enough room for me to sleep comfortably (6'2"). I liked the interior lighting in the back as well. Upon opening the tailgate there is a lever on each side that lays the back seats down, I thought that was cool. Not sure on clearance and other specs and what not, but it got decent gas mileage (24-30). Just thought I'd share.
"Until at last he smote his enemies ruin across the mountainside"
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

mostlty echoing some of what’s been said already about the outback but, 2 cents about mine (2003)…
- sleeps 2 relatively comfortably
- gets 18-20 city and 25-28 highway
- handles very well on snow/ice/dirt/mud
- can slowly get up most roads rated “4” on here with zero scrapes (with a solid driver)
- reliable and long lifespan with good maintenance