What are some good "adventure cars"?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: What are some good "adventure cars"?

Post by GregMiller »

Lardtazium wrote: Is sleeping directly on the bed possible? I think I prefer head-room to extra storage room.

I'm assuming you built the platform for storage space, not because the bed is horribly uncomfortable or lumpy.
There are 1/4”-3/8” ridges the length of the bed, but any reasonable amount of foam for sleeping in will take care of that. You do lose a bit of width sleeping between the wheel wells like I do, vs above them on a platform like jenren81 does. My gf and I are fine sleeping cozy, but it could be awkward with a non-significant-other. Another option is to get a higher shell for more headroom, which could make sitting up with a platform possible.

As far as bed length, with the access cab long bed (‘ACLB’), I’m comfortable sleeping in the bed (I’m 5’8”). If you’re more than about 5’10” I could see it feeling a little short. Supposedly one person can sleep diagonal in the 5’ bed on the double cab short bed (‘DCSB’). There are double cab long bed (‘DCLB’) models available if you want it all, but they’re harder to find and it gets long for a Tacoma.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:I will kindly like to disagree with many of the points here. I have a 2015 2.0i and had never had any problems going on any 4wd roads that can be done with an AWD car. This includes multiple trips up Lake Como to atleast 2 miles in and multiple times in McNasser Gulch. You just need a patient driver, this was also in stock tires BTW. I am 6' and have slept in the back of my Crosstrek for a couple of summers now. You can easily fit a twin sized blow up mattress in the backside if you push the front seats all the way to the front. Is it the most comfortable set up? Hell no. But I never had any complaints sleeping in the back.

I think comparing the off roading capabilities of a 4runner with a crosstrek is comparing apples and oranges. Both are very different vehicles.
I agree with the points you have made as well and I was mostly trying to support other post in that Subaru and Toyota seem like the way to go but wanted to throw out my experiences with the limited time I've spent some of these vehicles. I wanted to share what I thought were negative aspects with the Crosstrek -> I still think it's terribly under powered and geared as a commuter. If I had the patience, I prob could have made it to the Lake Como Rd 4WD TH as well but at that point I'm hiking as fast as the car would be moving and I didn't want to risk tearing up the car more than I already have. That was also my first time on that road and had no idea what kind of obstacles were ahead. I was there to hike some 14ers, what's a few more miles at that point? I threw in the comparison about the 4-runner because I blazed up that road with no trouble compared to the lower clearance AWD Subaru so my point was that if OP wants to get lost off the beaten path, that's pretty achievable (obviously) with the larger SUVs.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup
jfolwell1
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jfolwell1 »

Toyota hands down. I've owned 11. 4 4runners, 3 Cruisers, 4 FJ 40's
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

Definitely not going to be a popular opinion on here, but I love my Honda CRV. That being said, I do have a 2nd generation so it has slightly higher clearance than the newer ones, but its great to get good gas mileage on the long drives into the mountains and still take the car onto some 4wd roads if that is required.

I am 6'3" and can sleep in the back after I added an inflatable 8" platform (actually an upside-down baby pool), but I think the newer models have flat folding seats.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

there are 3 makes, and only 3 makes of vehicle to own in Colorado:
- Subaru
- Jeep
- Toyota (specifically 4Runner and Tacoma, hon. mention to the Tundra, but they are not as common)

do not waste your money on anything else. also, if you enjoy driving or riding in vehicles, don't spend a dime on a Jeep Wrangler. they are workhorses that sacrifice almost every option of comfort for functionality. (that said, i'm a proud Wrangler owner. and have gotten car sick on the way to DIA before.)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

For winter driving amd sometimes off pavement, Volvos can offer traction control, AWD (XC), turbo for the passes (GLT low, T5/6 high pressure), fold down rear seats and trunk access, freeze warning, headlight wipers, heated seats, and sedan (S) wagon (V) and suv platforms. Their inline 5-cyl (also 4 and 6 variants) is a Juggernaut. Given snow or ledgy access roads, a factor for some may be its crash worthiness. They can be luxury new, or a dirtbag tank used.

For fuel economy $, mileage can be undercut if it needs mid or high grade gas which a Volvo can.

One other factor I haven't seen mentioned is support or following. Forums, number made, years in production, nearby dealers, parts, service, DIY, mods, options, can make the difference between the start of a long affair vs being marooned.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

stephakett wrote: - Toyota (specifically 4Runner and Tacoma, hon. mention to the Tundra, but they are not as common)
Yeah, the new Tundras just really don't do it for people. People who are gonna be buying a Toyota for mountainy things are trying to buy a not too big not too small nimble 4-wheeler that acts like a truck, and 4 runners are just tacomas modified to be an SUV.

Tundras are big clunky weird looking snub nosed trucks - they used to be worthy though. If i'm going full sized I'm not going with Toyota.

But a Tacoma is probably the best 4-wheeler you can buy off the lot... besides jeeps of course.
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

FACT: The best car is an AWD Honda Element with a pop top https://www.instagram.com/p/BX-eHnSlgoa ... ygilbert23.

Unless you're trying to get laid... then you should maybe get a jeep or something.
jenren81
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jenren81 »

Lardtazium wrote:
Is sleeping directly on the bed possible? I think I prefer head-room to extra storage room.

I'm assuming you built the platform for storage space, not because the bed is horribly uncomfortable or lumpy.
Oh totally doable. Just lose a little bit of width since you would be between the wheel wells. Get yourself a good sleeping pad or closed cell foam - don’t use an inflatable air mattress, it will suck the warmth right out of you. Possibly not doable in a short bed if you are of average height tho... you would need to be above the wheel wells so you could sleep diagonally to fit, IMO. I’m sure others have made it work in a short bed though!

I built the platform for storage space under, and mainly to have room for the dogs too. Skis and snowboards fit nicely under there, keeps the cargo dry too
jscully205
14ers: 58  12  39 
13ers: 116 13 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully205 »

Ive owned 2 FJ cruisers and a Tacoma and its hard to beat a Tacoma with a camper shell around here. If you plan to sleep in your vehicle while bringing a lot of gear for any multi-day adventure, I would seriously a Tacoma a look. The camper shell is a must have by the way, not even up for discussion :-D . They fetch a lot of dough but for good reason. Once you make up your mind, the hardest part is deciding whether or not you want the access cab with the 6ft bed or double cab with the 5 ft bed. For a guy like me that is single and doesn't carry many passengers I went with the Access Cab and 6ft bed. Im 6'1 and sleep in the back very comfortably with the tailgate closed. They make DCLB's (double cab long beds) but they are too long in my opinion and look funny. Also the turn radius is terrible.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

stephakett wrote:there are 3 makes, and only 3 makes of vehicle to own in Colorado:

- Toyota (specifically 4Runner and Tacoma, hon. mention to the Tundra, but they are not as common)
And of course the Land Cruiser
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Like a 60 Series from the '80s?

I have it on *hic* good authority as of last night that they can *hic* haul a bike and kayak. :iluvbeer:
Image https://soulcraftbeer.com/beer-type/wor ... pale-bock/