What are some good "adventure cars"?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are some good "adventure cars"?

Post by Lardtazium »

LakesNPasses wrote:Back right-side seat (that's the wider one) laid (virtually) flat. I leave the other one up to store stuff on the seat and floor.

The 4Runner is not a "large" vehicle, it is quite narrow (nice for 4-wheeling) and it isn't terribly long either.

Huh. Again, I've ridden in my friends 4runner a few times many years ago, but I don't have a great memory of the interior.

Current gen 4runners look massive. Seems like a roomy, long and wide type of car. I will have to check one out in person, along with the tacos and subaru.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

ezabielski wrote:
Lardtazium wrote:What about a jeep wrangler? Or a cherokee?
Both are vastly more capable than a Subaru. But sleeping in the back of a 4 door Wrangler isn't going to work if you're taller than 5'6" or so. Sleeping in the back of a Cherokee just isn't going to happen.
A grand Cherokee with the back seats down will sleep a 6'2" person, and easily fit a twin mattress
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

ezabielski wrote:
Lardtazium wrote:What about a jeep wrangler? Or a cherokee?
Sleeping in the back of a Cherokee just isn't going to happen.
I have a 2015 Cherokee and am 5' 9" and able to sleep in the back fine. Just sleep with my legs curled slightly and at an angle.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

randalmartin wrote: I have a 2015 Cherokee and am 5' 9" and able to sleep in the back fine. Just sleep with my legs curled slightly and at an angle.
I guess I am thinking about my friend's Cherokee which is several years older. Are you folding down one of the front seats as well?

For some reason, even though I usually sleep with my legs bent, I would never be able to fall asleep without being able to fully extend them.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

An 80 series.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

WVMountaineer wrote:Definitely interested in this thread as i'm selling my 2011 Toyota Camry for a mountain vehicle (prob an older Tacoma or 4-Runner).

My Wife has a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek - 2.0 liter 5 speed manual - and it just doesn't have the power to get very far on any 4wd road. Great car as a daily driver and road tripping but lacks power. The 7 inch suspension is pretty decent and clears *most* unavoidable obstacles but you usually need to carry a decent amount of momentum with the 2 liter. I'd imagine the 2.5 liter CVT versions do better but I've never been in one. The Crosstrek sleeps ok in the passenger seat but certainly won't fit a mattress in the back and the back seats don't lay completely flat.

If you are familiar with Lake Como Road going to hike LB, Blanca, Ellingwood, the Crosstrek didn't make it 100 feet up the 4wd road and I parked at 8100' and hoofed it 6 miles to the lake. I borrowed my father-In-Laws 4Runner my next time up Como road and made it to 2.25 miles from the lake and I was pretty impressed with how it performed.

Just my 2 cents
I will kindly like to disagree with many of the points here. I have a 2015 2.0i and had never had any problems going on any 4wd roads that can be done with an AWD car. This includes multiple trips up Lake Como to atleast 2 miles in and multiple times in McNasser Gulch. You just need a patient driver, this was also in stock tires BTW. I am 6' and have slept in the back of my Crosstrek for a couple of summers now. You can easily fit a twin sized blow up mattress in the backside if you push the front seats all the way to the front. Is it the most comfortable set up? Hell no. But I never had any complaints sleeping in the back.

I think comparing the off roading capabilities of a 4runner with a crosstrek is comparing apples and oranges. Both are very different vehicles.

But the important question here might be what kind of comfort you are looking for as far as sleeping is concerned? I will vote for an outback if if you want a kickass daily car with off roading on the weekend. As Eli pointed out, it will take you most roads to 14ers TH. If one of you is short and can sacrifice some sleeping comfort, Crosstrek will work for you (Add a roof rack and you have great storage space), again this will not be my first choice if you really value wide spaces to sleep in. But if gas mileage for everyday commute is not a concern, 4runner hands down.
jenren81
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jenren81 »

I have a 2016 tacoma, access cab with the long bed, and set it up for sleeping under the topper... I built a platform that rests on two 2x8 boards that fit in the notches on the sides of the bed, and carpeted two pieces of 3/4 inch ply for the top. I bought a futon mattress from ikea for cheap that folds up and happens to fit the dimensions of the truck bed perfectly. I really want to get the truck bed sized paco pad but the futon is pretty comfortable. The platform obviously doesn't maximize headroom, but it's awesome to have your stuff stored underneath and not have to move it when you want to sleep. I use the underbed storage totes with the little wheels on them, they fit great.

I wouldn't likely enjoy this set up as much in the short bed tacoma - the extra length makes all the difference to me, and I'm only 5'8"

As for long trips - I think the new generation of tacomas are very comfy for long trips - but my old car was 13 years old so anything seems nice compared to that :-D It gets OK mileage for a truck, nothing amazing but fully loaded down with two bikes and a rack on top driving from Colorado to Sedona AZ I probably managed 19-20mpg or so.

If you go this route I definitely recommend the windoors that flip up - I'm kicking myself for getting the sliders, it would be so much easier to load/unload with those windows.

Here are a few pics...

TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Though NLM, a Honda Element has AWD, short wheelbase, rear seats that fold up sideway or you can remove and put in a platform. It has a tailgate and hinged rear window ala a PU with a shell, but you can use the climate control "in bed." You can add more gear to roof racks and the hitch while still having a tight turn radius.

An MDX is comfy with fold down seats, but drinks premium gas.

Later Rav4s have fold down seats and can do Engineer Pass.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

+1 on the Element, mostly. I've had both a 4Runner and an Element, and prefer the Element's high roof to sit up in "bed," and its better mileage. However, if you plan to stay mostly in Colorado, the 4Runner's clearance really comes in handy. I was able to drive mine to about 9600' on the Lake Como Road, to the South Colony TH, etc., and an Element can't do that.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I had to retire my 1996 Ford Ranger from peak bagging, she's consigned to house/yard chores now. That left me with our 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. With the passenger seat pushed forward and some pillows on top of a cooler in the rear floor board, I have plenty of room. I am 6'3". I throw in a memory foam mattress topper and it is super comfortable. And they finally came out with AT tires in my size, so it has more capable shoes now. Much improved traction and durability. Downhill still sucks because the gearing is too high. Clearance is good, but still avoid the tough stuff because there is no protection underneath. If I had my choice, I would get a new truck. They cannot be beat as an adventure platform.
santa_fe_inn.jpeg
santa_fe_inn.jpeg (110.92 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lardtazium »

jenren81 wrote:I have a 2016 tacoma, access cab with the long bed, and set it up for sleeping under the topper... I built a platform that rests on two 2x8 boards that fit in the notches on the sides of the bed, and carpeted two pieces of 3/4 inch ply for the top. I bought a futon mattress from ikea for cheap that folds up and happens to fit the dimensions of the truck bed perfectly. I really want to get the truck bed sized paco pad but the futon is pretty comfortable. The platform obviously doesn't maximize headroom, but it's awesome to have your stuff stored underneath and not have to move it when you want to sleep. I use the underbed storage totes with the little wheels on them, they fit great.

I wouldn't likely enjoy this set up as much in the short bed tacoma - the extra length makes all the difference to me, and I'm only 5'8"

As for long trips - I think the new generation of tacomas are very comfy for long trips - but my old car was 13 years old so anything seems nice compared to that :-D It gets OK mileage for a truck, nothing amazing but fully loaded down with two bikes and a rack on top driving from Colorado to Sedona AZ I probably managed 19-20mpg or so.

If you go this route I definitely recommend the windoors that flip up - I'm kicking myself for getting the sliders, it would be so much easier to load/unload with those windows.

Here are a few pics...

Is sleeping directly on the bed possible? I think I prefer head-room to extra storage room.

I'm assuming you built the platform for storage space, not because the bed is horribly uncomfortable or lumpy.
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lardtazium »

jenren81 wrote:I have a 2016 tacoma, access cab with the long bed, and set it up for sleeping under the topper... I built a platform that rests on two 2x8 boards that fit in the notches on the sides of the bed, and carpeted two pieces of 3/4 inch ply for the top. I bought a futon mattress from ikea for cheap that folds up and happens to fit the dimensions of the truck bed perfectly. I really want to get the truck bed sized paco pad but the futon is pretty comfortable. The platform obviously doesn't maximize headroom, but it's awesome to have your stuff stored underneath and not have to move it when you want to sleep. I use the underbed storage totes with the little wheels on them, they fit great.

Here are a few pics...

Is sleeping directly on the bed possible? I think I prefer head-room to extra storage room.

I'm assuming you built the platform for storage space, not because the bed is horribly uncomfortable or lumpy.