What are some good "adventure cars"?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: What are some good "adventure cars"?

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

As an owner of a 2007 outback and a 2004 4 runner I would say if you don't commute too much or care about gas mileage get the 4 runner. I love having the 4x4 4 LO for steep downhills where I don't have to ride the brakes and the 4 HI drive settingis just as versatile as the AWD.

However if you are commuting a lot, man the gas mileage sucks.

I don't sleep in the back of either, if I sleep at a trail head it's just throw the seat back and crash if it's one night, otherwise I'm setting up a tent.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I have a 2003 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner that I have built a platform for sleeping on. It has been great, I have over 45 nights sleeping on it and it is just long enough for me at 6'2" tall. If anyone would like pictures of my setup send me an IM with you email and I will send you pictures.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

So it seems like 4Runners and Tacomas are the most popular. What are the pros and cons of one over the other and which generation/years would people recommend. I've been thinking about a Tacoma for a while but I'm starting to be swayed and would like suggestions on narrowing my decision down.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lardtazium »

climbingcue wrote:I have a 2003 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner that I have built a platform for sleeping on. It has been great, I have over 45 nights sleeping on it and it is just long enough for me at 6'2" tall. If anyone would like pictures of my setup send me an IM with you email and I will send you pictures.

Bill
I'd like to see some pics. I've always heard 4runners don't sleep tall people well
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Lardtazium wrote:
climbingcue wrote:I have a 2003 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner that I have built a platform for sleeping on. It has been great, I have over 45 nights sleeping on it and it is just long enough for me at 6'2" tall. If anyone would like pictures of my setup send me an IM with you email and I will send you pictures.

Bill
I'd like to see some pics. I've always heard 4runners don't sleep tall people well
Send me an IM with an email and I will send you pictures

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

montanahiker wrote:So it seems like 4Runners and Tacomas are the most popular. What are the pros and cons of one over the other and which generation/years would people recommend. I've been thinking about a Tacoma for a while but I'm starting to be swayed and would like suggestions on narrowing my decision down.
Personally, I'm a fan of the 4Runners over the Tacomas purely from a comfort standpoint and ease of access for sleeping in the back. Having said that, I've never owned a Tacoma but came quite close to purchasing one recently but went with another 4Runner instead.

Whichever way you go, I would suggest a 3rd gen 4Runner or a 1st gen Taco. Same engine. Same incredible reliability. The 4Runner had a wheelbase slightly less than 106" and the regular cab Tacos had a wheelbase about an inch or two shorter. If you go to an access cab in that generation you add a little over a foot to the wheelbase. That's not necessarily a huge deal but it does negatively affect your approach angles when driving off-road.

For me, living in the midwest and having to drive quite a ways to even enjoy the rig in the mountains, which I do ever summer, the 4Runner is the way to go. With a full rear suspension compared to leafsprings on the Tacos it is much nicer when driving 20 hours straight. When I'm tired I can pull over anywhere and just crawl in the back easily for some ZZZZZZs without having to get out and get in a cold truck bed, even if it has a cap. I can also haul four people fairly comfortable on longer treks whereas only the double cabs will service you in the same way with the Tacos and then your either sacrificing wheelbase or bed length.

I think the decision comes down to what you really want it and need it for. Like I said, I'm partial to the 3rd gen 4runner/1st gen Taco because of the rock solid reliability of the engine. I bought my first 4Runner 5 1/2 years ago with 190,000 miles and I now have 294,000 miles without a single engine problem. The 4th gen Tacos seem to have good engines as well but the manual transmissions, especially in the earlier years ('05 - '08) seemed to be crap. The 5th gen Tacos seem awesome...but I try to stay as debt free as possible.

I'm not expert by any means, but if you have any 4Runner questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

For informational sake:

3rd gen 4Runner: 1996-2002
1st gen Taco: 1995-2004

V6 engine (in both): 5VZ-FE
Lardtazium
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lardtazium »

JTOlson26 wrote:
montanahiker wrote:So it seems like 4Runners and Tacomas are the most popular. What are the pros and cons of one over the other and which generation/years would people recommend. I've been thinking about a Tacoma for a while but I'm starting to be swayed and would like suggestions on narrowing my decision down.
Personally, I'm a fan of the 4Runners over the Tacomas purely from a comfort standpoint and ease of access for sleeping in the back. Having said that, I've never owned a Tacoma but came quite close to purchasing one recently but went with another 4Runner instead.

Whichever way you go, I would suggest a 3rd gen 4Runner or a 1st gen Taco. Same engine. Same incredible reliability. The 4Runner had a wheelbase slightly less than 106" and the regular cab Tacos had a wheelbase about an inch or two shorter. If you go to an access cab in that generation you add a little over a foot to the wheelbase. That's not necessarily a huge deal but it does negatively affect your approach angles when driving off-road.

For me, living in the midwest and having to drive quite a ways to even enjoy the rig in the mountains, which I do ever summer, the 4Runner is the way to go. With a full rear suspension compared to leafsprings on the Tacos it is much nicer when driving 20 hours straight. When I'm tired I can pull over anywhere and just crawl in the back easily for some ZZZZZZs without having to get out and get in a cold truck bed, even if it has a cap. I can also haul four people fairly comfortable on longer treks whereas only the double cabs will service you in the same way with the Tacos and then your either sacrificing wheelbase or bed length.

I think the decision comes down to what you really want it and need it for. Like I said, I'm partial to the 3rd gen 4runner/1st gen Taco because of the rock solid reliability of the engine. I bought my first 4Runner 5 1/2 years ago with 190,000 miles and I now have 294,000 miles without a single engine problem. The 4th gen Tacos seem to have good engines as well but the manual transmissions, especially in the earlier years ('05 - '08) seemed to be crap. The 5th gen Tacos seem awesome...but I try to stay as debt free as possible.

I'm not expert by any means, but if you have any 4Runner questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

For informational sake:

3rd gen 4Runner: 1996-2002
1st gen Taco: 1995-2004

V6 engine (in both): 5VZ-FE
Geeze toyotas keep their value well. In louisville 3rd gen 4Rs are still going for just under 10k
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Regular gas in Aspen, CO: $3.93/gal

Toyota 4Runner: 14-18mpg
Jeep Grand Cherokee: 13-21mpg
Toyota Tacoma: 17-20mpg
Ford Escape: 17-23mpg
Subaru Outback: 21-25mpg
Toyota Rav4: 21-28mpg
Honda CR-V: 21-28mpg
Source: http://www.fuelly.com/car
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

If you really want an adventure vehicle, get a van. Night and day difference (pun intended) sleeping in a van vs sleeping in a 4runner or Subaru. Unfortunately the only van you can buy in the US that comes with real 4x4 stock is a Mercedes Sprinter. GMC Safari and Toyota Previa can be found used, both have AWD. I have a RWD Chevy van with larger knobby tires, I can get to the trailheads on all but the gnarliest ones and the icy ones. If you're the kind of person that would be into this (not everyone is), you can find used vans that have been converted to 4x4, some factory like Pathfinder or Sportsmobile. They are $$ compared to non-converted vans and the MPG sucks, but if you want comfort in the vehicle for sleeping and to be able to go anywhere, it's the best option, functionally speaking.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

TallGrass wrote:Regular gas in Aspen, CO: $3.93/gal

Toyota 4Runner: 14-18mpg
No need to buy gas in Aspen unless you live there.

My gas mileage experience with 4Runners:

‘02 3.4 l V6: 17.7 mpg (overall average)
‘04 4.0 l V6: 19.5 mph (“”)
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Mtnman200 wrote:No need to buy gas in Aspen unless you live there.
or don't have enough to drive to another station in another town. Range (MPG x tank size) influences how often and where one might have to get gas such as at Aspen ($$$) or Carbondale ($$) versus Glenwood Springs or Buena Vista ($). If it's your only vehicle and you drive 12,000mi/yr, a 15mpg vehicle will cost $2,000 annually at the pump, double a 30mpg one @ $2.50/gal.

Does anyone else make it a point to top off in the metro before hitting the backcountry, or on extended backcountry trips trying to fill up at larger towns closer to main lines of transport?
https://www.gasbuddy.com/TripCostCalculator
I'll often top off on the Missouri side before heading to Colorado, and off I-70 or I-25 before turning off onto smaller highways.
National maps: https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4, http://fuelinsights.gasbuddy.com/

Edit: Tidier numbers
Last edited by TallGrass on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Your calcs are off TallGrass. 12000 miles at 14 mpg is 857 gal. At $2.50/gal the cost is $2142. The cost of fuel for a vehicle that gets 28 mpg would be half that. Still a good savings though.