What are some good "adventure cars"?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: What are some good "adventure cars"?

Post by kaiman »

nomad_games wrote:If you really want an adventure vehicle, get a van. Night and day difference (pun intended) sleeping in a van vs sleeping in a 4runner or Subaru. Unfortunately the only van you can buy in the US that comes with real 4x4 stock is a Mercedes Sprinter. GMC Safari and Toyota Previa can be found used, both have AWD. I have a RWD Chevy van with larger knobby tires, I can get to the trailheads on all but the gnarliest ones and the icy ones. If you're the kind of person that would be into this (not everyone is), you can find used vans that have been converted to 4x4, some factory like Pathfinder or Sportsmobile. They are $$ compared to non-converted vans and the MPG sucks, but if you want comfort in the vehicle for sleeping and to be able to go anywhere, it's the best option, functionally speaking.
As others have pointed out, it really depends on what all you plan on doing with the vehicle you are purchasing. If you are just looking for good all season commuting/driving and the clearance to get you to trailheads then a Subaru, 4Runner, or van may be the best way to go. If you use your vehicles for other purposes then you may want to consider a Tacoma or other pickup truck.

Personally, I like the options that a full size pickup truck offers me (I need to periodically go to the dump, take my clients used/dead computers and electronics equipment the e-waste place for recycling, haul dirt and gravel, landscaping materials, lumber and building supplies for work around my house, etc.) so I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, which may be bigger than you want/need, but it has a 6.5 foot bed and I can fit a standard double mattress in the back without issue. It also seats 4-5 people comfortably. I have a truck cap and built my own platform for it so I can sleep on it and store gear under it which is super comfortable and convenient. It has been super reliable, and I can attest to the safety of the Toyota Tundras in collisions (I had a 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab and was in a head on collision with another driver who fell asleep at the wheel and hit me at 60 MPH, the truck was totaled in the front but other than a few broken bones I almost walked away from the accident). Yes, it burns a lot of gas and that is the biggest trade-off (I only get between 15-18 MPG, but I make up for it by commuting to work by bike and carpooling with my wife in her 50 MPG Prius).

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you to get a full size pickup or vehicle that you don't need, but I would seriously consider what else you might use this vehicle for (besides driving to trailheads) before making a final decision on which way to go.

Also, the Toyota Previa has been replaced by the Toyota Sienna minivan which as of the 2018 models still comes with all-wheel-drive. Of course the clearance is still pretty minimal in order to increase gas mileage: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018- ... -info-news

Just my two cents,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

Vehicles are like boots, million opinions and none are really wrong.

I currently have a 2010 E350 lifted van. I can make it to 80% of the trailheads. The bed I built is more comfortable than the bed at my house. Have house batteries for the fridge, electric blanket and charging. Tons of storage and comfortable. If you build it yourself, its insanely affordable! I bought my van with 70k miles, all service records, in mint condition for $14k. Sold the bucket seats out of it for a total of $1500, then spent that on the lift, tires, bed and house electrical system. Plan on converting it to 4x4 myself within the next year which will run me about $3000.

In the past I've had 3/4 4x4 Chevy PU, Jeep Cherokee, lifted Subaru Foresters. All very capable. My top 3 would be Land Cruiser, 4Runner, or van. IMO
Attachments
17358688_10208747997400695_5356769974296199395_o.jpg
17358688_10208747997400695_5356769974296199395_o.jpg (543.65 KiB) Viewed 3575 times
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

winmag4582001 wrote:Vehicles are like boots, million opinions and none are really wrong.

I currently have a 2010 E350 lifted van. I can make it to 80% of the trailheads. The bed I built is more comfortable than the bed at my house. Have house batteries for the fridge, electric blanket and charging. Tons of storage and comfortable. If you build it yourself, its insanely affordable! I bought my van with 70k miles, all service records, in mint condition for $14k. Sold the bucket seats out of it for a total of $1500, then spent that on the lift, tires, bed and house electrical system. Plan on converting it to 4x4 myself within the next year which will run me about $3000.

In the past I've had 3/4 4x4 Chevy PU, Jeep Cherokee, lifted Subaru Foresters. All very capable. My top 3 would be Land Cruiser, 4Runner, or van. IMO

counterpoint: I bought a 79 Chevy van for $2k and the buildout will cost me about $4-5k, but i'm a former mechanic and fabricator. but it runs as well as a new car. bad part is the mpg...around 14/15 hwy.

If I was loaded it would be a lifted 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter, no question.
Last edited by nomad_games on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andymcp1
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andymcp1 »

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee- lifted 3inches with 31inch tires. I put on big ass duche bag bumpers for fun because I like them. All in is about 4,000. It runs like a champ and goes everywhere. It gets about 14mpg. I took out part of the rear seat, built a box to stuff in the spot between the remaining seat and foot area for the rear passenger and then cut a 4in memory foam topper around the wheel wells. I can sleep diagonal in it fully stretched out with plenty of room for a dog and gear.

You can make any vehicle work for what you want based on budget and functionality. For myself I found it was much better to have my mountain/camping vehicle and a daily driver. Around town I drive a Honda Civivc that gets 40mpg and is much nicer on the city streets. All in on both cars it was still half the price of getting a new TACO!

If money were no issues I would have a lifted sprinter van for long trips and a Land rover Defender for short trips.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

TallGrass wrote:Like a 60 Series from the '80s?

I have it on *hic* good authority as of last night that they can *hic* haul a bike and kayak. :iluvbeer:
Image https://soulcraftbeer.com/beer-type/wor ... pale-bock/
Naw, like an 80 series or 100 series.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

nsaladin wrote:Naw, like an 80 series or 100 series.
Pics?

As for vans/buses, what about those VW off-road models? And even 2WD will do well with a Torsen diff.
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

TallGrass wrote:
Pics?

As for vans/buses, what about those VW off-road models? And even 2WD will do well with a Torsen diff.

the 4wd VW buses, aka Syncros, are very, very expensive for what you get. crazy expensive. emphasis on the "crazy," especially when spending that money gets you a very cool but very unreliable vehicle.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

nomad_games wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:Vehicles are like boots, million opinions and none are really wrong.

counterpoint: I bought a 79 Chevy van for $2k and the buildout will cost me about $2-3k, but i'm a former mechanic and fabricator. but it runs as well as a new car. bad part is the mpg...around 14/15 hwy.

If I was loaded it would be a lifted 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter, no question.
Sprinters are bad ass.
My daily is a 95 Bronco. It's been to many trails. The 5.8 is horrible on gas in the mountains, but I bought it a few years ago for $3500 and only 100k. Some basic maintenance and it still runs like a top, even now with 170k. Plus, it's a tank in the snow.
Attachments
1557482_10203114231880078_1390388180095693849_n.jpg
1557482_10203114231880078_1390388180095693849_n.jpg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 3449 times
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
nomad_games
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

nice
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Personally, my experience with my 3rd gen 4Runner after driving it 100,000 miles:

Interstate/consistent highway driving between 65 and 70 MPH with not much head/cross wind = 21-22 MPG

Interstate/consistent highway driving over 75 MPH with not much head/cross wind = 18 MPG

Mixed city and highway driving, both in a conservative fashion = 17 MPG

All city driving, still fairly conservative with throttle and braking = 15-16 MPG
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

TallGrass wrote:
Pics?

IMG_7323.JPG
IMG_7323.JPG (848.19 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
Jharrell
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jharrell »

Will a Z71 sub with a set of KO-2’s get me to all 14er trailheads?