Microspikes Alternatives

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Microspikes Alternatives

Post by justiner »

Jeff Valliere wrote: As to dulling spikes, I bought a cheap bench grinder specifically to keep my Microspikes sharp, easily doubling or tripling their life.
I think the Yak Summits will still dull faster. Comparing the two, the Kahtoola spikes are almost twice as thick as the Yak ones, which I really think contribute to how fast they wear down. I'm almost positive the metal is perhaps different too - perhaps plated? The scratches on the bottom are showing a slightly copper-looking color, which I don't believe is rust, while everything on the Kahtoola spikes are nice and shiny.

I may have used my Yak Summits once before I shelved them. Too bad, as I think the Boa system applied to this problem had promise, and that licensing cannot have been cheap to procure.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

brichardsson wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:I just had a repair through Kahtoola myself. They don't do anything to check their two-year warranty, it's kind of an honor system. I'd fill out a request on their site and see what happens.
why would you tell someone to try to get a free repair when they broke it by not using it as directed? this is exactly why rei has changed their longstanding return any item ever policy, because of abuse like this.
I’ll admit to skimming the OP, didn’t realize the full circumstances behind the failure. I’ve had two different pairs of Microspikes crap out on me during normal on-trail use (broken chains), and I was just trying to convey that I’ve been impressed with their customer service. They fixed both for only the price of shipping — and, yes, I was within their two-year warranty period both times. Kahtoola stands by their gear.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Sometimes Kahtoola will also send you a discount code as a thank you for being a customer, after completing the process in their service dept.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

My 1yr old sz medium microspikes broke this spring - the first day I wore them on some new insulated winter boots (vasque snowburbans). I chalked it up to overstetching the rubber. Just out of curiosity I bought the hillsound version (not the Pro) as a replacement. Personally, I prefer the kahtoola's for hiking shoes. They're less bulky and lighter. But I do really like the hillsounds (in sz large) for my winter boots. The spikes are more aggressive than kahtoola's and the mid-foot strap seems to make them more secure (although my kahtoola's never popped off either).
Roll No Rocks
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

justiner wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote: As to dulling spikes, I bought a cheap bench grinder specifically to keep my Microspikes sharp, easily doubling or tripling their life.
I think the Yak Summits will still dull faster. Comparing the two, the Kahtoola spikes are almost twice as thick as the Yak ones, which I really think contribute to how fast they wear down. I'm almost positive the metal is perhaps different too - perhaps plated? The scratches on the bottom are showing a slightly copper-looking color, which I don't believe is rust, while everything on the Kahtoola spikes are nice and shiny.

I may have used my Yak Summits once before I shelved them. Too bad, as I think the Boa system applied to this problem had promise, and that licensing cannot have been cheap to procure.
I never used my Summits long enough either to truly test wear rate and passed them along after a few outings. I too think the Boa system is promising, but so far prefer the Microspikes for their light weight, effectiveness, simplicity and durability. They are also an amazing company and have gotten to know some of the people there through the trade shows, I really believe in them and their products.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

LL Bean also makes a traction device with BOA closure. I have no experience with it though.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/90699?p ... ction-mens
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

I go down to the consignment store pick up a cheap pair of old crampons every 2-3 years. Yeah, yeah the weight snobs will scoff, but I like the peace of mind. I also get myself into some mixed situations here and there. Best of luck.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Korean clone on Sierra Trading Post, maybe more reliable than Chinese clone on Amazon? I just picked up a pair, will see for myself.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/produ ... 320MP-02-L

Edited to add: apparently REI also carry them, and CAMP is one of their global partners. Seems pretty legit.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... insen-claw
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

illusion7il wrote:Just had my 2nd pair of Microspikes crap out on me. I put my boots on the register vent to dry with the microspikes still on them, pulled them off about 24 hours later only to find that the rubber had snapped on both of them. They are just past there 2 year warranty. Looks like there are a bunch of other companies that make these nowadays. I've always been a big fan of Microspikes but at $70 a pop, I'm now looking for alternatives. At that price I could try out 2-4 other brands.

Has anyone found a generic set of Microspikes that actually hold up?
Then there is the cheapest option.
http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Some website by some know-it-all dude that thinks he knows all about trail running. Matt Carpenter? Never heard of him. Probably a troll.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

illusion7il wrote:Just had my 2nd pair of Microspikes crap out on me. I put my boots on the register vent to dry with the microspikes still on them, pulled them off about 24 hours later only to find that the rubber had snapped on both of them. They are just past there 2 year warranty. Looks like there are a bunch of other companies that make these nowadays. I've always been a big fan of Microspikes but at $70 a pop, I'm now looking for alternatives. At that price I could try out 2-4 other brands.

Has anyone found a generic set of Microspikes that actually hold up?
Straight up user error. Don't blame the microspikes, you won't find a better alternative anyway.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

MUni Rider wrote:Some website by some know-it-all dude that thinks he knows all about trail running. Matt Carpenter? Never heard of him. Probably a troll.
Relax, you're not the first to discover the magical screw shoes. I have a pair of home made screw shoes too, but they're not a replacement for microspikes. I throw a pair of microspikes in my pack as late as July for the just-in-case snow crossing, but I wouldn't just carry my screw shoes or wear them that late in the season. Besides, while the scews are only a few bucks, you need to essentially dedicate a pair of shoes just for it. Even a cheap pair of quality shoes is more expensive than a pair of cheap microspikes.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

polar wrote:
MUni Rider wrote:Some website by some know-it-all dude that thinks he knows all about trail running. Matt Carpenter? Never heard of him. Probably a troll.
Relax, you're not the first to discover the magical screw shoes. I have a pair of home made screw shoes too, but they're not a replacement for microspikes. I throw a pair of microspikes in my pack as late as July for the just-in-case snow crossing, but I wouldn't just carry my screw shoes or wear them that late in the season. Besides, while the scews are only a few bucks, you need to essentially dedicate a pair of shoes just for it. Even a cheap pair of quality shoes is more expensive than a pair of cheap microspikes.
Relax? RELAX? OMG! How can I relax at a time like this? With so much at stake. Geeezuuuuhs. How dare I or anyone respond to the OP when we should all wait for your guidance. Guess I caught one with the sarcastic line. But you are right. I re-read the original post and he said "boots" so running is most likely not past or intended future use. Screwshoes are far less appropriate for steep snow as they are for icy trails. Best course of action at this point is to contact the manufacturer and get the free new pair.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)