Mountaineering Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
a forest
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mountaineering Boots

Post by a forest »

So.. are Nepal Cubes going to pack out a little bit?

Length-wise they feel fine, my toes aren't hitting the front at all when kicking. Just width-wise in the toe box my larger foot feels a little snug. I've put a lot of miles in Salewa Mt. Trainers, same size, fit great. I tried on half a size up of the cubes and felt like I was swimming in them a bit with some heel movement. I also am wearing a mid-weight sock, I could definitely go thinner (actually I think I'll buy a pair and try this this morning).

It's an expensive boot! I don't want to get 2 miles before realizing it's not the right boot for me. Thanks for any thoughts. I've been googling and reading everything I can find on fitting these.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Mountaineering Boots

Post by Monster5 »

^No, not really. I'd recommend trying to swap out or sell before they get too used. I go half size up on most LS, especially if hiking and altitude.
If you can swing it, go for the G5s instead of the Nepals.

Edit - Scarpa is standard for those wanting a wider toe box.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich