Gear Pass or Fail

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Gear Pass or Fail

Post by Conor »

It should be pointed out that wool can mean different things to different people. For example, merino is just a sheep from an area, usually oz or nz. Pashmina can mean taken anywhere from the pashmina goat or the finest is taken only from the chin area. Then, how it is spun into thread can also dictate softness.

Wool has awesome insulating properties, same with fleece. I've sat at the front of a whitewater raft in Canada, taken a splash full on. Only to feel the warmth take over. Same with wool socks and the bogs in greenland. You will get wet, but you stay warm. Great for people who prespire like i do.

I'm not sure this "trick" is as readily available anymore, but I used to buy cashmere sweaters for recreation at thrift stores for a couple bucks each. We always wash in the machine, air dry. I've personally never experienced the degradation of its peoperties as it is often touted to do. One is going on 10 years of decent use since I purchased as the thrift store.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Conor wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:17 am It should be pointed out that wool can mean different things to different people. For example, merino is just a sheep from an area, usually oz or nz. Pashmina can mean taken anywhere from the pashmina goat or the finest is taken only from the chin area. Then, how it is spun into thread can also dictate softness.
Technically, wool is fiber from sheep. But it's a convenient term for talking about any natural animal fibers. Having spun wool, I disagree with you that spinning dictates softness, since softness is strictly determined by the type of fiber. :) How it is spun might determine its texture but not its softness.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

I have eczema, so super sensitive skin. There is no wool, wool blend, "merino", or anything else that works for me. Synthetic base layers...
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

BD aluminum Z poles - Fail between bending one planting it coming off Terra Tomah and the wear on the clip when folding them for storage not keeping them locked

Fancy Feast cat food can stove - Pass light weight, inexpensive, never had an issue boiling water on any backpacking trip

Patagonia silk weight Capilene -Pass I haven't had any issues with chaffing, still have shirts that are 15 years old and are in great shape.

Defeet Aireator socks - Not sure if I give them a Pass or Fail. I keep buying them because I like how thin they are for summer conditions but I wear them out in a season.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

shelly+ wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:04 am
nyker wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:42 am Shelly, seems I need to go shopping with you next time!

I found the alpaca sweaters in a little market in Ecuador years ago. One was very lightweight, one heavier weight.
Damn... I knew "locally somewhere in South America" would be your answer!! Are they handknit?
I think they are, from recollection, they all seemed a little different when I was looking at them.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

So I picked up a pair of these in the fall, more to do yardwork outside, and needed something waterproof to deal with carrying wet lumber and snowy/wet logs all afternoon without having my hands freeze as it got colder.

https://www.carhartt.com/products/Pipel ... Glove-A726

But as I used them for chores, I found them increasingly comfortable, they kept their waterproofness and are very lightweight and can take a liner. They started making their way into my pack and I like them more than most of my other gloves. I've used them in -15*F temps in frequent contact with snow and they were good. If I were standing still for an extended period, I'd be warmer with a liner, but moving they were good "as is" at those temps. They even come with a liner. They don't have as much palm protection as a leather reinforced thicker glove for palming a bare headed axe for any extended period, but they are good enough and a liner helps there.

They are also 1/3-1/2 of the cost of comparable ski/mountaineering gloves...

*PASS*
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Leki collapsible poles: PASS

Have to reiterate how good Leki collapsible poles are: Did another pair of peaks this week locally, both of which had numerous scrambling sections where I needed to take them down and reassemble and strap to my pack to free up my hands on both ascent and descent.
I also note another climber I ran into had Black Diamond Z poles and one of his broke also and was tied to his pack. I know some folks love the BDs but I never found them that durable.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

nyker wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:49 pm I also note another climber I ran into had Black Diamond Z poles and one of his broke also and was tied to his pack. I know some folks love the BDs but I never found them that durable.
Z poles are slick and lightweight but I broke one too descending steep grass. Had a little slip, my weight shifted onto the uphill pole and it just immediately buckled under my weight. They're ideal for tame terrain but don't test their limits.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 325 2 71
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Leki's are as expensive as BD. Agree on the Z pole consensus here. If you collapse and pack them for scrambling etc., the speed cone mechanism gets stuck especially in winter rendering them inoperable. Lame.

Poles were my biggest casualty over winter and I chose this brand [url]https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain ... 17&sr=8-13[/url]

Ironically my first pair were carbon and on their second outing they snapped while getting stuck between talus/rocks/snow. The second pair were aluminum and on a similar occurrence never snapped like the carbon poles. I thought carbon was tougher?

One good thing about BD is even without a receipt if you voice your concern/disappointment they will send a 20% off coupon for future purchases.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Big PASS: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires: I was up in Wyoming over the weekend climbing a peak (Washakie Needles) and we had to go 20+ miles in on an access road. If dry the road would be nothing, trivial. But when wet it's a bear (pun intended, the area is known for grizzlies as well, we saw grizzly tracks at 12K'). Silty clay soil early on, then rocky/deeply rutted/silty higher up. Just an absolute slip sliding mess going in. And when we came out after another rain soaking it was even worse. I used every trick in the book to get out, a pretty challenging exit. I was SUPER impressed with these new tires, I'm beyond confident we would not have made it out with my prior picks, Cooper Discovery AT/3's. Worth a look if you're on the market for new SUV tires.

PASS: Poles: Thought I'd weigh in on the great pole debate, above. I've used both aluminum and carbon, I've had phenomenal luck with BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles. Not as light or cheap as others, but man...durable as hell. There are different levels of quality for carbon fiber, these poles must use a pretty good grade. Mine are of course all scratched up but I think (?) I may have had these close to 10 years. Lots of "I can't believe these didn't snap" situations. Worth a look.

-Tom
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

PASS: Black Diamond Alpenglow Pro Hoody. I love this hoody. It performs well across a wide temperature range, great sun protection and the breathable material under the arms is a nice touch.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

TomPierce wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:41 am Big PASS: BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires: I was up in Wyoming over the weekend climbing a peak (Washakie Needles) and we had to go 20+ miles in on an access road. If dry the road would be nothing, trivial. But when wet it's a bear (pun intended, the area is known for grizzlies as well, we saw grizzly tracks at 12K'). Silty clay soil early on, then rocky/deeply rutted/silty higher up. Just an absolute slip sliding mess going in. And when we came out after another rain soaking it was even worse. I used every trick in the book to get out, a pretty challenging exit. I was SUPER impressed with these new tires, I'm beyond confident we would not have made it out with my prior picks, Cooper Discovery AT/3's. Worth a look if you're on the market for new SUV tires.

PASS: Poles: Thought I'd weigh in on the great pole debate, above. I've used both aluminum and carbon, I've had phenomenal luck with BD Alpine Carbon Cork poles. Not as light or cheap as others, but man...durable as hell. There are different levels of quality for carbon fiber, these poles must use a pretty good grade. Mine are of course all scratched up but I think (?) I may have had these close to 10 years. Lots of "I can't believe these didn't snap" situations. Worth a look.

-Tom
Good to know Tom, I might be in the market for a set soon