Gear Pass or Fail

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Gear Pass or Fail

Post by nyker »

Not technically climbing/hiking boots, but thumbs up to Keen Pittsburgh steel toe boots (again not for hiking per se with steel tips though you certainly can use them as they feel lighter and more comfortable than a few other hiking shoes/boots I have used), but for other work related duties they are a good boot, fit well, good soles and seem durable, run a half size larger than true I feel.

PASS
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Will add here the Deuter Kid Comfort Active Child Carrier.
We've used it on four hikes so far and its worked pretty well for our young one.
No complaints yet, fingers crossed.
*PASS*
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 262 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Adidas Terrex ColdRdy insulated boots - pass!

I needed a new pair of winter boots this past year, and I was uninspired by the options out there. I found out that adidas had launched a line of boots, and I use them for all of my basketball shoes, so I figured I'd give them a try. These are the best winter boots I've ever owned. Incredibly comfortable right out of the box, no blisters or hot spots. Very lightweight, yet warm. Never had cold feet despite some very cold and windy days. Plus, they're the best looking boots I've owned, winter or summer. At the end of the cold weather hiking season, I have at least ,250 miles on them and the have almost no signs of wear. A+ boot
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

Salewa vulture vertical gtx: Pass
For the too wide for La sportiva but not wide enough for scarpa. These mountaineering boots do the job they need to do on steep terrain and ice

Salewa wildfire gtx: Pass. Worse climbing ability than the tx line (what I currently use) but these fit well, are waterproof and hike well as well. good pair of shoes and an option for those who can't find something in the tx line they like.

BD Distance 15 vest/pack: Pass with flying colors. Perfect daypack backpacking or mountaineering, has enough room for everything you;d want and also performs well as a running vest and fastpack.
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Liquid IV. Costco has/had 30-pouch packs on sale. I've never used electrolyte products before, but on my first two outings of this year I noticed a big improvement in my post-hike recovery. This climbing peaks business gets tougher each year. At 52, I'm starting to look for any advantage I can get, haha.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:06 pm Liquid IV. Costco has/had 30-pouch packs on sale. I've never used electrolyte products before, but on my first two outings of this year I noticed a big improvement in my post-hike recovery. This climbing peaks business gets tougher each year. At 52, I'm starting to look for any advantage I can get, haha.
This is a little bit tangential to the OP but it's likely that the majority of us are consuming nowhere near enough carbs per hour to sustain performance for long efforts in the mountains.

It should be around 400 calories, 100 grams of carbs. Now, some of you might read this article and say, "Hey! This applies to 24 hour ultra runners." Let's be honest here: 24 hours ultra runners are working about as hard or less hard than most of us are when putting in a half day+ summiting mountains.

https://www.trailrunnermag.com/training ... rformance/
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
HikerGuy
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Yeah, electrolytes are nutrition, not gear. To get back on track, here are my two newest pieces of clothing:

PASS: Montbell Chameece Gloves - lightweight fleece gloves, perfect for cool mornings or chilly summits. Stitching in index and thumb for touchscreens.
FAIL: Montbell Lightweight Trail Cap - the brim does not absorb sweat, so not good for high exertion or warmer temps, I will have to stick with my HeadSweats cap.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Anyone have any experience with this watch?

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/775739/p ... 7-14#specs

It claims in smartwatch mode, battery life is unlimited due to the solar functionality, assuming you're outside, etc...
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I was out the past few days on some local trails after the fresh snow we got here; It was in the teens and windy, but wanted to break out the XC skis too. As the first cold weather hikes since Spring, I wasn't 100% geared up and left my face covering in the house, so my face wasn't covered as well as it should have been given the cold - but in my jacket pocket I had an older N95 mask, the ones we all hate wearing from COVID, but the mask was great in this cold weather, warming air and keeping the moisture in, so here is a way to use up all those masks many people probably have lying around.