Gear Pass or Fail

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jimwei
14ers: 21 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Gear Pass or Fail

Post by jimwei »

Black Diamond Distance Poles (Alum): Pass. Two years of using it, no issues. A few times it got jammed in rocks and bent but never broke. I imagine the carbon version would have snapped. Alum version is a bit heavier but worth the weight in abuse tolerance imo.

Altra Lone Peak (since the original version): Pass. The only shoes for the past 6 years.

Ultimate Directions PB Adventure Pack 4.0: Pass. 16L, light weight, carry a bunch stuff comfortably, poles, ice axe, etc.

Norrona Bitihorn Gore-Tex Active 2.0 Jacket: Pass. No longer made. Super light weight, packs tightly, waterproof.

Suunto 9 Baro GPS Watch: Pass. incredible battery life in different settings, and the fuzzy logic method of calculating track in longer GPS intervals is pretty awesome. GPS accuracy is better than my previous Garmin 310xt. Barometer.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Update on the Sawyer water bottle/treatment - was pretty disappointed after pulling this out of my pack last week 6hrs into a hike. After not using it for a year, I figured I'd have to put some water through it as usual to get it going and it would be fine.
But no matter what I did, it would not pass water through/was clogged or something and this unit was only used one other time in clear water conditions. Additionally the little squeeze bag (also only a year old used once) developed not one but 5-6 leaks which made it useless altogether. FAIL
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

^^^ Ah yes, you have to prep the filter at home before you leave if it hasn't been used for a while. I just use big syringe provided for backflushing in the original package and push clean tap water forwards until it starts working. It takes couple of minutes of fighting, but it will start flowing like new again. I guess fibers inside (?) just dry up after some time.

About bags, I have couple from 2012 and they are still bomber. I guess production moved someplace else in the meantime.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Water filter: Katahdin BeFree is well named and obviates the need for much water storage during spring and summer. Highly recommended for mountain travel. The soft flask it comes with can be swapped out with a sturdier flask.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
easyridertme
14ers: 14  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by easyridertme »

cedica wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:10 am ^^^ Ah yes, you have to prep the filter at home before you leave if it hasn't been used for a while. I just use big syringe provided for backflushing in the original package and push clean tap water forwards until it starts working. It takes couple of minutes of fighting, but it will start flowing like new again. I guess fibers inside (?) just dry up after some time.

About bags, I have couple from 2012 and they are still bomber. I guess production moved someplace else in the meantime.
After that long, there's a good chance it's dried mineral build-up as well. I've had good luck restoring mine to basically new condition by letting it soak in a bowl of very warm water and vinegar for a while, then backflushing with very warm water as well. Annoying, I suppose, but I just consider it gear maintenance.
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

nyker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:03 pm
Black Diamond Z poles - Ultra/Distance Fail miserably - Somewhat surprisingly, 3 pairs broke on me in under 200 miles of normal/light use in two months in a summer a few years back. Awful poles, connector material came out and never was able to be put back -

Osprey Packs - specifically Atmos 65, Atmos 50 and Stratos 40 - PASS. great packs, took beating after beating, well thought out. The 65 was especially good since it cinched down to be able to be carryon then expands when filled up nicely. Good axe loops.

I would actually give my BD Distance Z pole a huge pass. Bought them a year and a half ago and have over 50 outings on them and probably 60k of vert. I use them for backpacking to trail running and they just keep going.

+1 to the Atmos 50. Amazing weekend pack or a longer ultra light pack. Have been using mine for 10ish years with no problem. Will also add the smaller Stratos 24.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Good suggestions-thanks guys

cedica - I do still have that syringe, I'll see how that works, maybe after soaking it. As far as the bags, maybe they were a batch made on Monday or Friday.

easyridertme - good idea, I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Monster5, does that katadyn top fit other bottles, like larger 1L water bottles?

CaptCO - how long did it last before slowing down?
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Which Sawyer filter do you have? I have a Sawyer mini which I use quite a lot during summer. I always back flush it after a trip, and then I shake the water out from both ends before putting it away, so I've never had any clogging issues.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

polar wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:09 pm Which Sawyer filter do you have? I have a Sawyer mini which I use quite a lot during summer. I always back flush it after a trip, and then I shake the water out from both ends before putting it away, so I've never had any clogging issues.

This was the mini also...
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 pm
nyker wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:53 pm
CaptCO - how long did it last before slowing down?
Roughly 10~ trips and 20 peaks or so. It definitely got heavy use, and doesn’t require back flushing. You shake or “swish” the bottle with water and flush with clean water at home afterward. I’d say I’ve almost gotten my money’s worth, but might swap it at REI if it gets any slower. Night and day difference between the hassle of a sawyer. I’ll have to get some waterproof gloves for filtering in the colder months. Nothing worse than frozen fingers before an alpine start just getting water imo
What have you experienced to be the "night and day difference" between the two, the flow rate or something else?
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Jet boil, jet boil, and jet boil. Whoever invented this should have a statue built for them. I never questioned my stove until I went camping with my friend who brought his jet boil.....lol
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Adding a couple items -

Benchmade Bugout - nice little lightweight blade. They're pricey now but when they first came out there were some promotions, maybe be patient they'll come up again - PASS

Mountain Hardwear powerstretch gloves - super light, compact and can fit in your front pockets. Not waterproof and just slightly more cover than a liner, but great in most 2.5-3 season dry use. PASS