Water Filter Thread

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Re: Water Filter Thread

Post by eskermo »

dwoodward13 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am I do frequently backflush the filter when I get back from a trip, so that might also help keep flow impedance down.
Need to try this too. I only do it when the flow gets annoyingly slow.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

eskermo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:42 am
dwoodward13 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am I do frequently backflush the filter when I get back from a trip, so that might also help keep flow impedance down.
Need to try this too. I only do it when the flow gets annoyingly slow.
Yup. ALWAYS backflush the filter after a trip. I always follow the mfg'rs "post-use/storage" procedure after an outing...
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

As far as the sucky stock bags go - there are additional compatible options:

https://smile.amazon.com/EVERNEW-Water- ... way&sr=8-3

https://smile.amazon.com/Platypus-2-Lit ... 2ECQ6DGQTN

I've been meaning to try out a new bag, and now that one of my Sawyer bags has finally given up the ghost, I may try one of the above...
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

I'll start doing that, Skared and Woodward. I never followed those manufacturer recommendations with my original Sawyer and for 3 years had no issues with the filter itself. Only had to backwash it twice during that whole time. It took until the end of last summer for the original bags to start springing holes. Bought some replacements and they quickly broke as well.

Thanks for the links to alternative bags. So if I pick up that 2L Platypus bag, does anyone know if the Sawyer filter will be able to directly thread right into the Platypus and keep a good seal?!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

eskermo wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:43 pm I'll start doing that, Skared and Woodward. I never followed those manufacturer recommendations with my original Sawyer and for 3 years had no issues with the filter itself. Only had to backwash it twice during that whole time. It took until the end of last summer for the original bags to start springing holes. Bought some replacements and they quickly broke as well.

Thanks for the links to alternative bags. So if I pick up that 2L Platypus bag, does anyone know if the Sawyer filter will be able to directly thread right into the Platypus and keep a good seal?!
So according to the Amazon reviews, the Platy threads *MAY* not be standard. The Evernew bottle, however, is advertised as compatible with the Sawyer... so'd I'd lean that way, myself.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

I've had great luck with my Katadyn gravity filter while backpacking. Pretty light but not terribly compact. Fantastic flow rate and never clogged up on me. I clean it after each trip.

https://www.backcountry.com/katadyn-gra ... gIjVfD_BwE
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

I've brought my Sawyer filter (not mini) on many backpacking trips over the last five years, and the bag finally got a hole in it. I gently roll it though, and I wonder if others are more rough with theirs. In general I'm a big fan of the filter, although you have to be careful to not let it freeze at night.
John619
14ers: 16  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John619 »

Sawyer Squeeze paired with a Smart Water bottle is my choice. I've used this on many short and long distance backpack trips successfully. Remember to not let the filter freeze... I always have a chemical backup just in case.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

rdp32 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:14 pm I've brought my Sawyer filter (not mini) on many backpacking trips over the last five years, and the bag finally got a hole in it. I gently roll it though, and I wonder if others are more rough with theirs. In general I'm a big fan of the filter, although you have to be careful to not let it freeze at night.
I develop holes sometimes... I think it's more from cranking the filter itself on too tight, then having to really put some effort in getting it off. I do feel the filter needs to be put on tight, or it just leaks right into whatever I've filling up - thus defeating the purpose of filtering water to begin with.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I have a pur hiker that I’ve had for about 20 years that I still use and as a bonus it doubles as a great upper body workout while backpacking
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Don't use the bags...small and unreliable.

Smartwater bottles are the way to go...super durable, filter screws right on. I used this type of setup for my 300 mile hike in Jan of 2017.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Good thing I am reading this after the 9 day Weminuche trip, not before :lol: Use the Sawyer Squeeze filter, it was alright, no holes in 64 oz bag. But then again it's only like $20! I switched last summer from using Steripen for years. Much lighter and simpler, and doubles as a water storage reservoir, just about perfect for my needs.

On other note, the Animas river water looks terrible again ☹, with a brown tint. Was noticeably cleaner after I ran it thru filter before boiling...