Exercise during the pandemic

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Exercise during the pandemic

Post by teamdonkey »

Because we need another Covid thread, right?

I thought this article about the benefits and dangers of exercising during the outbreak was interesting. The summary is exercise strengthens your immune system over the long term, but longer sessions can weaken it for a short period of time. According to the article the tipping point for "longer sessions" is 60-90 minutes, or when your body starts dipping into glycogen stores.

Food for thought.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Exercise during the pandemic

Post by nyker »

Thanks, this is good info
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

as a lifelong introvert with antisocial tendencies, i've basically spent my entire life perfecting the art of 'social distancing' so i feel pretty prepared for the next couple months or years... even so, i still have yet to figure out how to maintain 6 feet of distance when passing someone else while hiking/running on singletrack.

i've been planning to start marathon training in may/june, in preparation for a fall race, so right now i'm slowly ramping up my base training. it's a good time for that i guess, no need for superhard efforts at this point. i like to do some easier efforts on a stepmill or walking an incline treadmill to keep the wear and tear of constant running down, but with all gyms closed for the foreseeable future, that's out, and who knows how long til we're banned from even going outside for a run. i actually found myself browsing amazon for cheap home treadmills :shock: :oops:
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

timisimaginary wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 pm as a lifelong introvert with antisocial tendencies, i've basically spent my entire life perfecting the art of 'social distancing' so i feel pretty prepared for the next couple months or years... even so, i still have yet to figure out how to maintain 6 feet of distance when passing someone else while hiking/running on singletrack.
+1 :lol: This is our moment!

As for passing people, cross-country travel is usually easy in CO, and opens up a whole new world with little need to pass anyone.
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

You will laugh, but the few times there is passing I hold my breath, especially if the other person is working and breathing heavily. Don't know if this helps but I feel safer.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
Klad24
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Klad24 »

hotrod wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am You will laugh, but the few times there is passing I hold my breath, especially if the other person is working and breathing heavily. Don't know if this helps but I feel safer.
I've been finding myself doing the same thing.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

hotrod wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am You will laugh, but the few times there is passing I hold my breath, especially if the other person is working and breathing heavily. Don't know if this helps but I feel safer.
Just use a buff over your nose and mouth. It's not like an N95 mask but it should help.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

timisimaginary wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 pm i like to do some easier efforts on a stepmill or walking an incline treadmill to keep the wear and tear of constant running down, but with all gyms closed for the foreseeable future, that's out, and who knows how long til we're banned from even going outside for a run. i actually found myself browsing amazon for cheap home treadmills :shock: :oops:
I used to do similar workouts at the gym. Now I go to north table mountain just prior to sunrise and I run up and down the slope to the seacliffs. I usually see on average 2 or 3 people there at that time.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

ker0uac wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 amI used to do similar workouts at the gym. Now I go to north table mountain just prior to sunrise and I run up and down the slope to the seacliffs. I usually see on average 2 or 3 people there at that time.
N Table Mountain's sea cliffs?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

This is cool! www.uphillathlete.com is offering some free at home training plans. Great company. I have used their programs in the past.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

If it comes to sheltering in place, I'm going to take that to mean my property. I'm fortunate to live in the foothills and live in a 3 acre playground. Using caltopo, I figured out a lap is 0.28 miles and 134' and will be doing laps to maintain my sanity. No breath-holding required.

Stay safe and healthy folks!
Aim high to end high