Exercise during the pandemic

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Exercise during the pandemic

Post by 12ersRule »

here's my home gym. Anyone have some good boxing workouts? I never use that heavy bag, but I bet it'd be awesome for cardio.
homegym.jpg
homegym.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Cool gym setup 12ers. The heavy bag is an awesome workout. My one suggestion is warm up before going at it hard, your rotator cuffs will thank you later.
A speed bag makes a good warm up for your shoulders before hitting the heavy bag. Also if you use gloves, try not to get a pair that's too big or has too much cushion or your liable to hurt your wrist if you hit it with anything other than a 90 degree strike.
as far as types of workouts, hard to write about it-easier to just show you, but try multiple combinations, alternate jab/cross, high/low etc..., add in some elbows, knees, kicks and have fun!
Since you mention cardio, yea it could be a good cardio workout, just watch your breathing.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

madbuck wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm Folks, please stick to pre-approved obesogenic activities, like driving large gas-powered cars everywhere and ordering junk food from drive thru's.
You don't even need to get out of your car to shop, because if there isn't a drive-thru, there's always an underpaid driver available to speed around delivering whatever worthless crap you need.

We can't afford the extra health care burden right now! Please stick only to the costly lifestyle choices and risk factors that are part of the regular health care burden. Thanks!
I agree with your sarcastic comments. Obviously this is a serious situation and we need to take some precautions, but outside of NYC and a few other places, I think the biggest danger to our country is that we will become even more overweight, even more out of shape, and as a result even more immunocompromised (honestly if you eat like crap and never exercise, you are at least slightly immunocompromised). This issue would not be nearly as serious for most of our country if everyone was fit and lived a healthy lifestyle.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Recommendations for software that will go through your music library and output the beats per minute?

I found a few, but none do it easily. Lots of adding each folder, sub folder, etc. Just cumbersome.

Trying to make some treadmill play lists and want to select particular BPM for different effort levels.
If you have a good program or method you've used what is it?
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 am Recommendations for software that will go through your music library and output the beats per minute?

I found a few, but none do it easily. Lots of adding each folder, sub folder, etc. Just cumbersome.

Trying to make some treadmill play lists and want to select particular BPM for different effort levels.
have you ever combed through jog.fm? i used it many moons ago-- not EXACTLY what you're looking for but might be helpful
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 am Recommendations for software that will go through your music library and output the beats per minute?

Are you looking at this in order to match your cadence to the BPM of certain songs? Do you already have decent data on your own cadence (or desired cadence) at certain pace ranges?

Sorry, I know I'm not being very helpful. Just curious as to what your intentions are. Feel free to tell me to go fly a kite :-D
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

JTOlson26 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Are you looking at this in order to match your cadence to the BPM of certain songs? Do you already have decent data on your own cadence (or desired cadence) at certain pace ranges?

Sorry, I know I'm not being very helpful. Just curious as to what your intentions are. Feel free to tell me to go fly a kite :-D
Just set the treadmill to 10mph and put crash course in brain surgery on repeat
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:13 pm Just set the treadmill to 10mph and put crash course in brain surgery on repeat
I just gave it a quick listen and after a few seconds of counting I thought, “Dang, pretty close to 90 BPM. That’ll give you a nice 180 steps per minute!” 180 being the seductive (yet sometimes misguided) “perfect” cadence. Then went to a website that claimed It to be 88 BPM: pretty close.

I don’t want to say that my 6-flat pace days are over quite yet, but I’ll likely never be what I once was...but maybe I’m as good, once? Eh, probably not!
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

nunns wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 am
madbuck wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm Folks, please stick to pre-approved obesogenic activities, like driving large gas-powered cars everywhere and ordering junk food from drive thru's.
You don't even need to get out of your car to shop, because if there isn't a drive-thru, there's always an underpaid driver available to speed around delivering whatever worthless crap you need.

We can't afford the extra health care burden right now! Please stick only to the costly lifestyle choices and risk factors that are part of the regular health care burden. Thanks!
I agree with your sarcastic comments. Obviously this is a serious situation and we need to take some precautions, but outside of NYC and a few other places, I think the biggest danger to our country is that we will become even more overweight, even more out of shape, and as a result even more immunocompromised (honestly if you eat like crap and never exercise, you are at least slightly immunocompromised). This issue would not be nearly as serious for most of our country if everyone was fit and lived a healthy lifestyle.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
A++++

Too many people look to someone else to save me, protect me, keep me from making bad decisions. Just read underlying data on the deaths in NYC...doesn't surprise me one bit. We, as a collective country, are unhealthy, overweight, eat food that is not good for us, and a large percentage of the USA is ok with that.

What a mess.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 960151001/
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

JTOlson26 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:31 pm
SchralpTheGnar wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:13 pm Just set the treadmill to 10mph and put crash course in brain surgery on repeat
I just gave it a quick listen and after a few seconds of counting I thought, “Dang, pretty close to 90 BPM. That’ll give you a nice 180 steps per minute!” 180 being the seductive (yet sometimes misguided) “perfect” cadence. Then went to a website that claimed It to be 88 BPM: pretty close.

I don’t want to say that my 6-flat pace days are over quite yet, but I’ll likely never be what I once was...but maybe I’m as good, once? Eh, probably not!
From experience I can tell you that you will only know when your 6:00 pace days are over in retrospect. Same thing for 7:00 pace.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I once ran a 4:47 mile, I'm up to about 9:15 now, ha ha ha ha.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

I think it’s pretty easy to get back down to whatever pace you want with consistent training, it’s more a matter of how much are you willing to hurt.