Exercise during the pandemic

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Exercise during the pandemic

Post by madbuck »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:33 pm
madbuck wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:32 am Not that we need to coddle or enforce healthier choices, but we just seem to make unhealthy choices so easy.
sadly, it's not always about choice. there's a reason why obesity, malnutrition, and health problems are correlated with lower incomes. many poorer people don't have the money, the time, the education, or the access to make healthier choices. the cheapest food is usually the least healthy food, and you'll find a lot more mcdonald's or kfc's in low-income areas than you will find grocery stores with a decent selection of healthy affordable foods. gym memberships are expensive, and a luxury for someone who can barely afford rent while working two jobs that don't allow much extra time for working out to begin with. many urban areas don't have a lot of safe outdoor exercise options either.

there are certainly a lot of people in this country who do have choices and make poor ones, but not everyone has the same range of choices, so it's important to not paint everyone with the same broad brush. the obese person riding an electric cart through walmart could be a lazy overeater, or it could be someone who used to be a superfit marathon runner before suffering permanent injuries in a car accident or military deployment. you never know.
I should have said 'options' instead of 'choices', and we agree.
Part of my glib observation is that it's *even easier* to get fast food through a drive-thru (which generally doesn't allow bikes or walk-ups) than it is to get into a crowded/healthier grocery store (if you even live near one), for example.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

seano wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:42 pm
cedica wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:03 am Machine Gun by Portishead sounds very CrossFit to me. :bicep:
:shock: Jesus, you joined a bleak CrossFit. Do you just lie on the ground with a kettle bell on one kneecap for an hour?
Yeah, but can you believe how great it feels when you finally remove kettle bell?
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

pvnisher wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 am
JTOlson26 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:29 pm
pvnisher wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 am Recommendations for software that will go through your music library and output the beats per minute?

I found a few, but none do it easily. Lots of adding each folder, sub folder, etc. Just cumbersome.

Trying to make some treadmill play lists and want to select particular BPM for different effort levels.
If you have a good program or method you've used what is it?
Are you looking at this in order to match your cadence to the BPM of certain songs? Do you already have decent data on your own cadence (or desired cadence) at certain pace ranges?

Sorry, I know I'm not being very helpful. Just curious as to what your intentions are. Feel free to tell me to go fly a kite :-D
I know my cadence for various exertions and pace, more or less. I'd like to be able to pick some songs for a warm-up, then a fast pace, then some hills (fast cadence), then slow it down a bit. All using my own library.

So day, for example, 155, then 165, then 175, then 155.

And I could choose how long to do each pace based on song length.
That’s interesting. I tend to keep the same cadence and just vary stride length unless I’m really sprinting which I probably haven’t done in 20 years. Even on recovery intervals my average is definitely over 170. Goes to show that what works for one person isn’t universal. In college I took part in a study about swimming cadence and mechanical/cardio efficiency. Swimming with the makeshift mask and tubing system was nuts. Still have scars on my arms from the zip locks on it. No clue what the results were, but it was hard for me to even get to the minimum cadence while swimming which probably explains why I wasn’t a sprint freestyler. I did breaststroke which I think is why I like high cadence running. Killed the knees back in the day so a higher cadence running is probably a lower impact per step.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

madbuck wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:08 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:33 pm
madbuck wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:32 am Not that we need to coddle or enforce healthier choices, but we just seem to make unhealthy choices so easy.
sadly, it's not always about choice. there's a reason why obesity, malnutrition, and health problems are correlated with lower incomes. many poorer people don't have the money, the time, the education, or the access to make healthier choices. the cheapest food is usually the least healthy food, and you'll find a lot more mcdonald's or kfc's in low-income areas than you will find grocery stores with a decent selection of healthy affordable foods. gym memberships are expensive, and a luxury for someone who can barely afford rent while working two jobs that don't allow much extra time for working out to begin with. many urban areas don't have a lot of safe outdoor exercise options either.

there are certainly a lot of people in this country who do have choices and make poor ones, but not everyone has the same range of choices, so it's important to not paint everyone with the same broad brush. the obese person riding an electric cart through walmart could be a lazy overeater, or it could be someone who used to be a superfit marathon runner before suffering permanent injuries in a car accident or military deployment. you never know.
I should have said 'options' instead of 'choices', and we agree.
Part of my glib observation is that it's *even easier* to get fast food through a drive-thru (which generally doesn't allow bikes or walk-ups) than it is to get into a crowded/healthier grocery store (if you even live near one), for example.
i've actually noticed that drive-thru's around here actually are allowing walkups and bikes now. but it's true, the pandemic is definitely exacerbating the problem, especially for people with already limited options. my gym is closed, but i'm lucky that i can afford to order some workout gear on amazon, and have a house large enough to store and use it. i have a car that i can drive to the grocery store and less crowded trails. i don't have to worry about taking public transportation to find healthy food options, or that a simple walk around my neighborhood might get me shot. this thing isn't easy on anyone, but it's a lot harder on some.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

i see lots and lots and lots of people in the food deserts where i live who are walking signficant distances to the only grocery store within miles or to catch public transportation, all while carrying several bags of groceries or carrying a child. those with privilege may consider the concept of "exercise" as a leisure activity to keep you fit and you may judge others for their lack of health. those without privilege "exercise" in order to find groceries or simply to make it through their lives. many determinants contribute to obesity and illness in our culture.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

shelly+ wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:12 am i see lots and lots and lots of people in the food deserts where i live who are walking signficant distances to the only grocery store within miles or to catch public transportation, all while carrying several bags of groceries or carrying a child. those with privilege may consider the concept of "exercise" as a leisure activity to keep you fit and you may judge others for their lack of health. those without privilege "exercise" in order to find groceries or simply to make it through their lives. many determinants contribute to obesity and illness in our culture.
Nice perspective, Shelly+
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

TomPierce wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:57 am Madbuck: Cool wall! I used to have one in the basement of a former house. If you ever get around to it (and I can totally relate to your higher priorities comments) big box home stores (Lowes, Home Depot) sell super rough grain additves for paint, even I could figure it out. Gives the panels a rough sandstone finish with a natural color. And I found that, with time, thin traverse (lateral or diagonal) holds were more entertaining, e.g. juggy climbs became too easy & repetitive. The thin traverses had a higher failure rate but kept the mental engagement up.

Anyway, thanks sharing. Quarantine on!

-Tom
Thanks Tom! I'm experimenting to see what the kids like, and then will move things around, eventually adding some overhanging. I love the idea of the rough finish, hadn't thought about it. Thanks!

Weird to think about 'indoor/at-home' activities that much. I had researched treadmills enough to pull the trigger if we got a full-on stay-at-home, but just couldn't do it if I had any chance to be outside instead.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

greenonion wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:28 am
shelly+ wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:12 am i see lots and lots and lots of people in the food deserts where i live who are walking signficant distances to the only grocery store within miles or to catch public transportation, all while carrying several bags of groceries or carrying a child. those with privilege may consider the concept of "exercise" as a leisure activity to keep you fit and you may judge others for their lack of health. those without privilege "exercise" in order to find groceries or simply to make it through their lives. many determinants contribute to obesity and illness in our culture.
Nice perspective, Shelly+
:)
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Has anyone tracked how many heart attack patients have been turned away from hospitals sheltering for COVID-19?

I have noticed, and I am guessing I am not alone?, many people out and about on the trails that are usually not there. Fat, slow, sick, dying.

If you engage in exercise during the pandemic, are you likely going to contribute to the problem by calling out those first responders?

Come on, if I go climb Mt. Sneffels for the 1xxth time, well within my comfort boundaries, am I a bigger threat to the general public than the loaf who lifted him (her) self off the couch to walk around the block for the first time since the 1918 pandemic?

And fwiw suicide still outranks COVID-19 as a cause of death in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leadin ... -death.htm

Update: My mom tested positive. She is a 94 year old resident at the Tolstoy Nursing Home, Rockland County, NY. Since being diagnosed 3 days ago, she has been resting comfortably, taking food as necessary and has good O2 levels. Last contact this evening around 6:00 p.m.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I’ve still been running outside since I lack a treadmill, but for body weight strength stuff and cycling, been inside. Sucks not being able to swim. I’m guessing the lake would be a tad chilly right now.
Attachments
63530CEA-AE39-400E-9EA1-A5ED8F4A3BCB.jpeg
63530CEA-AE39-400E-9EA1-A5ED8F4A3BCB.jpeg (101.13 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Well, you guys inspired me! Back on the horse.

Gonna hit 40 miles this week assuming I get 10 in tomorrow.

Did a little 2 mile pickup in my run yesterday and told myself, "Just go out and run what you know 5:40 pace used to feel like." Turns out that equates to about 6:10 these days. I can live with that for now.

Keep at it, boys and girls! Let's all get that quarantine fitness bump since we can!
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Wentzl wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:54 pm Has anyone tracked how many heart attack patients have been turned away from hospitals sheltering for COVID-19?

I have noticed, and I am guessing I am not alone?, many people out and about on the trails that are usually not there. Fat, slow, sick, dying.

If you engage in exercise during the pandemic, are you likely going to contribute to the problem by calling out those first responders?
Tsk tsk, so much stereotyping cannot be healthy.