Exercise during the pandemic

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Exercise during the pandemic

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

angry wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:52 pm I think it’s pretty easy to get back down to whatever pace you want with consistent training, it’s more a matter of how much are you willing to hurt.
that, in and of itself, makes it not easy.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 pm that, in and of itself, makes it not easy.
ha! you know that good hurt, especially when you feel like you’re flying! too easy :D
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm I once ran a 4:47 mile, I'm up to about 9:15 now, ha ha ha ha.
I challenge you to break 8:30! Hey, we're in a pandemic: why not?!
nunns wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:32 pm From experience I can tell you that you will only know when your 6:00 pace days are over in retrospect. Same thing for 7:00 pace.
Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
I fear that!
angry wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:52 pm I think it’s pretty easy to get back down to whatever pace you want with consistent training, it’s more a matter of how much are you willing to hurt.
That's probably true up to a certain age. At 30, if I dedicated myself to myself to the craft again like I did in college I could probably PR in the 5000, but 4:17 likely isn't happening again. Of course, in this coronavirus filled period of time, maybe I should get on the horse for the next 10 weeks and see what I can do.

Now that I've been coaching for a while I'd like to think that I would train smarter and recover better than I did in college, but the as you alluded to, the motivation to really hurt in training again...might not be there!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

JTOlson26 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:29 pm
pvnisher wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 am Recommendations for software that will go through your music library and output the beats per minute?

I found a few, but none do it easily. Lots of adding each folder, sub folder, etc. Just cumbersome.

Trying to make some treadmill play lists and want to select particular BPM for different effort levels.
If you have a good program or method you've used what is it?
Are you looking at this in order to match your cadence to the BPM of certain songs? Do you already have decent data on your own cadence (or desired cadence) at certain pace ranges?

Sorry, I know I'm not being very helpful. Just curious as to what your intentions are. Feel free to tell me to go fly a kite :-D
I know my cadence for various exertions and pace, more or less. I'd like to be able to pick some songs for a warm-up, then a fast pace, then some hills (fast cadence), then slow it down a bit. All using my own library.

So day, for example, 155, then 165, then 175, then 155.

And I could choose how long to do each pace based on song length.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

^ Lana Del Rey's "Norman f***ing Rockwell" is perfect for my pace these days. Was probably Pat Benatar "Crimes of Passion" paced in my prime.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Machine Gun by Portishead sounds very CrossFit to me. :bicep:
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

nunns wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 am
madbuck wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm Folks, please stick to pre-approved obesogenic activities, like driving large gas-powered cars everywhere and ordering junk food from drive thru's.
You don't even need to get out of your car to shop, because if there isn't a drive-thru, there's always an underpaid driver available to speed around delivering whatever worthless crap you need.

We can't afford the extra health care burden right now! Please stick only to the costly lifestyle choices and risk factors that are part of the regular health care burden. Thanks!
I agree with your sarcastic comments.... This issue would not be nearly as serious for most of our country if everyone was fit and lived a healthy lifestyle.
Thanks, sarcasm is easy to misinterpret and I think we agree.
I am compassionate towards and do not wish to harshly judge anyone suffering illness or worse from lifestyle factors, just like I think all of us are upset when people judge climbing, skiing, bicycle accidents as being preventable.
More generally, I'm critical to the degree we accept, socially, a large level of preventable burden -- which is just as much out of compassion for wishing to help prevent that burden and fix preventable problems. Not that we need to coddle or enforce healthier choices, but we just seem to make unhealthy choices so easy.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Like many parents, much of my focus has been keeping the kids busy, so I finally put up a basement climbing wall:
20200408_093009.jpg
20200408_093009.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
I intended to do this when the 'big kid' was the size of the 'little kid', so about 3 years ago, but generally every weekend the decision heuristics were the same: going outside to do something in the mountains/woods/deserts was always > staying home. The extra commuting time alone (about 7 hours/week for work, plus the time I'd usually take to go farther afield on weekends) has been quite a resource for getting things done around the house.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Madbuck: Cool wall! I used to have one in the basement of a former house. If you ever get around to it (and I can totally relate to your higher priorities comments) big box home stores (Lowes, Home Depot) sell super rough grain additves for paint, even I could figure it out. Gives the panels a rough sandstone finish with a natural color. And I found that, with time, thin traverse (lateral or diagonal) holds were more entertaining, e.g. juggy climbs became too easy & repetitive. The thin traverses had a higher failure rate but kept the mental engagement up.

Anyway, thanks sharing. Quarantine on!

-Tom
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

madbuck wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:32 am
nunns wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:10 am
madbuck wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm Folks, please stick to pre-approved obesogenic activities, like driving large gas-powered cars everywhere and ordering junk food from drive thru's.
You don't even need to get out of your car to shop, because if there isn't a drive-thru, there's always an underpaid driver available to speed around delivering whatever worthless crap you need.

We can't afford the extra health care burden right now! Please stick only to the costly lifestyle choices and risk factors that are part of the regular health care burden. Thanks!
I agree with your sarcastic comments.... This issue would not be nearly as serious for most of our country if everyone was fit and lived a healthy lifestyle.
Thanks, sarcasm is easy to misinterpret and I think we agree.
I am compassionate towards and do not wish to harshly judge anyone suffering illness or worse from lifestyle factors, just like I think all of us are upset when people judge climbing, skiing, bicycle accidents as being preventable.
More generally, I'm critical to the degree we accept, socially, a large level of preventable burden -- which is just as much out of compassion for wishing to help prevent that burden and fix preventable problems. Not that we need to coddle or enforce healthier choices, but we just seem to make unhealthy choices so easy.
sadly, it's not always about choice. there's a reason why obesity, malnutrition, and health problems are correlated with lower incomes. many poorer people don't have the money, the time, the education, or the access to make healthier choices. the cheapest food is usually the least healthy food, and you'll find a lot more mcdonald's or kfc's in low-income areas than you will find grocery stores with a decent selection of healthy affordable foods. gym memberships are expensive, and a luxury for someone who can barely afford rent while working two jobs that don't allow much extra time for working out to begin with. many urban areas don't have a lot of safe outdoor exercise options either.

there are certainly a lot of people in this country who do have choices and make poor ones, but not everyone has the same range of choices, so it's important to not paint everyone with the same broad brush. the obese person riding an electric cart through walmart could be a lazy overeater, or it could be someone who used to be a superfit marathon runner before suffering permanent injuries in a car accident or military deployment. you never know.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

timisimaginary wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:33 pm sadly, it's not always about choice. there's a reason why obesity, malnutrition, and health problems are correlated with lower incomes. many poorer people don't have the money, the time, the education, or the access to make healthier choices. the cheapest food is usually the least healthy food, and you'll find a lot more mcdonald's or kfc's in low-income areas than you will find grocery stores with a decent selection of healthy affordable foods. gym memberships are expensive, and a luxury for someone who can barely afford rent while working two jobs that don't allow much extra time for working out to begin with. many urban areas don't have a lot of safe outdoor exercise options either.

there are certainly a lot of people in this country who do have choices and make poor ones, but not everyone has the same range of choices, so it's important to not paint everyone with the same broad brush. the obese person riding an electric cart through walmart could be a lazy overeater, or it could be someone who used to be a superfit marathon runner before suffering permanent injuries in a car accident or military deployment. you never know.
Most obesity is a choice, even when choices are constrained by American poverty. It's not just one choice, someone didn't choose to be fat one day. They chose eating when they were past their calories for the day. They chose to sit down other than be active. Walking around your neighborhood is an option. Limiting caloric intake to 500 less per day than one is burning is definitely an option -it's called not eating, and if people who are broke can do that because they can't afford food then others can too. They chose to ignore the scale, or the mirror, or their clothes, when they were 20lbs overweight. 20 became 50 became 100 became an appearance on a show called "family by the ton." Almost none of the grossly fat people here are so corpulent because of a medical issue -they were basically healthy, got fat, and being fat is the medical issue.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

cedica wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:03 am Machine Gun by Portishead sounds very CrossFit to me. :bicep:
:shock: Jesus, you joined a bleak CrossFit. Do you just lie on the ground with a kettle bell on one kneecap for an hour?