PSA: Glissading Safety

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Re: PSA: Glissading Safety

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Direct action slides are the primary risk after a new , late season snow, danger usually goes away after 48 hours or if it slides, I’ve had good luck managing those slopes with ski cuts, leaves a nice, albeit firm groomer to ski down.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

I'm planning on Castle and Conundrum this weekend. Haven't Glissaded before, but was thinking about bringing the ice axe and trying it out coming down from Conundrum. My impression was that was a fairly safe spot... yes? no?
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

teamdonkey wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:31 am I'm planning on Castle and Conundrum this weekend. Haven't Glissaded before, but was thinking about bringing the ice axe and trying it out coming down from Conundrum. My impression was that was a fairly safe spot... yes? no?
Are you educated on how to self arrest and knowledge of the axe parts/usage in general? That area is a steep and fast, so being able to self-arrest is a must IMO. A few weeks ago it was continuous, fast snow, and I self arrested twice on the glissade to slow down. If it has rocks now, it can be even more dangerous.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

I'm "internet educated", which means I've watched a few youtube videos a few times. I'd like to turn that into practical experience at some point and thought this would be a good spot. Maybe not!

Is getting down this section without glissading reasonable, and if not what's a better route?
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

teamdonkey wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:04 am I'm "internet educated", which means I've watched a few youtube videos a few times. I'd like to turn that into practical experience at some point and thought this would be a good spot. Maybe not!

Is getting down this section without glissading reasonable, and if not what's a better route?
(bold in the quote above by me) Last year when that slope was half melted/half loose nasty scree I reclimbed Castle and went down the NE ridge. Watching people from across the basin kicking rocks down it I was happy with my choice!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:23 am
teamdonkey wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:04 am I'm "internet educated", which means I've watched a few youtube videos a few times. I'd like to turn that into practical experience at some point and thought this would be a good spot. Maybe not!

(bold in the quote above by me) Last year when that slope was half melted/half loose nasty scree I reclimbed Castle and went down the NE ridge. Watching people from across the basin kicking rocks down it I was happy with my choice!
Yeah, unless the snow is continuous and you know how to glissade, the best option is to resummit Castle.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

I learned to climb mountains from folks in the Wasatch who consider glissading an integral part of mountaineering. They even had a yearly event called P.I.G. (Pfeifferhorn Including Glissade). In May, a standard item in our packs were old snow pants. It can be a fun time saver on occasion.
The OP nailed it, when in doubt, just walk. Obviously ski ‘em if you got ‘em.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

After burning (literally) through my 4th pair of light alpine pants, I bought a yard of 1000D Cordura on Etsy, and my wife sewed a new armored seat onto the ripped bottoms.
1000D Cordura is extremely tough and my wife's handiwork is true. This pant's second life has far outlasted its first and has stood up to some crotch-blistering glissades.

If the snow is firm enough that I'm not comfortable leaving my crampons on, then it's probably not going to be a fun glissade.
If the snow is good for glissading (soft at least a few inches down), then a trekking pole works fine.
If I insist on glissading neve, it doesn't really matter if I know how to self-arrest because I'm going to lose my axe the second the pick catches.

Skiing seems dangerous.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Boggy B wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:52 pm Skiing seems dangerous.
I feel much safer skiing down a 45 degree slope than glissading down one. 4 metal edges > a pick

And you don't get soaked and/or ruin your pants.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:47 am Off-Topic question but what are the main hazards associated with late season snowfall that doesn’t melt out same day? I.E climbing couloirs, glissading, traversing ridges with packed snow, and anything else. Here’s the snow report from last night. Obviously the avalanche website closes shop for summertime.
Spring storm avy hazard - slides on the interface between new and old snow. Late spring you shouldn't have to worry about them 95% of the time. The 5% being greater than 8", cohesive and/or unbonded to the interface.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring