Garmin InReach Explorer+ or SE+

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ryannadire
14ers: 8  1 
13ers: 14 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Garmin InReach Explorer+ or SE+

Post by ryannadire »

You'll definitely want the Explorer for multi-day trips as the topo maps are very useful. After three years the battery on mine still lasts 50 hours with tracking enabled. Obviously if you turn it off or stop tracking in camp you can extend that life. I also bring a power bank on longer trips and can easily do a full charge on those. That lasted me two weeks on a long trip when it was new. I've also bashed the screen on many rocks while scrambling and other than some scratches it is totally fine.
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

These are the most thorough reviews of them I have found online. I have the explorer plus and it is an essential gear for my 13er hikes now.
https://andrewskurka.com/tag/garmin-inreach/
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

My setup: inReach mini paired with my iPhone 7 with Gaia. Earthmate on my iPhone only for reading/sending the inReach messages, then I close the app. Gaia stays on for the entire climb.
On multi-day trips, I carry a small power bank that can recharge my iPhone a couple of times (if necessary) and the inReach 1-2 times. This has been more than enough for a 2-3 day trip. I put my iPhone in airplane mode, and the battery easily lasts 2 days on its own without needing a recharge.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Alec,

I have the Explorer, it's been a reliable tool for many years. It has gotten pings out to my wife in places I didn't think it would, e.g. the network of satellites is pretty good, and I have it paired with my smartphone. I mention that because I use Garmin's GPS software/app and can pull up the map on the much, much larger phone screen to navigate (and IMO the Garmin software is easier to use than the Gaia app, just me). The phone screen and keyboard is also way better than the tiny screen & keyboard on the Explorer unit for messaging. So pairing is definitely the way to go.

But...

What about the Garmin Inreach Mini? It's a lot smaller and lighter than the Explorer, cheaper too? No idea. Personally I've found I'm really only using very few functions on the Explorer (GPS, messaging, and the SOS is nice but I've never used it). Probably 90% of the unit's functionality goes unused. I've played with the altimeter, the weather forecasting, but eh...I've never had a need to rely on that stuff. If the Mini meets your needs it might be worth a look.

And battery life: I've never understood the appeal of tracking, it for sure uses so much power. Without tracking on you can go a week+ easily on a single charge. I've done it more than once.

-Tom
Agstrohmeier
14ers: 15  6 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Agstrohmeier »

I think it depends on what you want. If you want GPS, explorer. I have an older SE, I keep it off in my backpack 99% off the time, except to send a message on some overnighters. At this rate I charge it about once a year. I use my phone and a paper map for GPS. If I were to buy a new one I would get a mini.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (114)

Post by supranihilest »

Explorer all the way. It's a dedicated GPS, no messing with phone apps, batteries, cold weather killing your phone, taking lots of photos killing your phone (the inReach works like a champ in the cold), blah blah. It's not cheap and it's an extra thing you have to carry but I've used mine extensively and have been glad to have the separate GPS that's not coupled to my phone. Using your phone for everything is just asking for trouble.
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

I like the mini InReach that I sync up to my phone using Gaia maps via Bluetooth. This allows me to send basic texts and to be traceable in the wilderness. Sometimes I’ll trace and record my path using Hiking Project (an off-shoot from REI?) if I’m unfamiliar with the trail or if its snow-covered and difficult to discern. Also I carry the analog versions of maps and compass, etc., in unfamiliar areas or times with limited visibility (such as early morning, nighttime hikes or precipitation), electronics have malfunctioned for me a number of times.

Despite best efforts and keeping electronics next to person: my biggest issue is that sometimes the colder temperatures during my wintertime hikes will zap my electronic devices... the mini InReach, however, tends to be less effected by the cold. Assuming the same is true for most of Garmin’s products. I keep a basic charging device for emergency or longwinded hikes, too.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Does anyone have an opinion as to the InReach Mini vs. the Explorer+ for route finding (maps + GPS)? For when I get lost.
Last edited by Altitude High on Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

I had the Explorer (before I switched to mini), and the "map" on the device is a joke. Definitely cannot rely on that for anything. I don't have an Explorer+ so I can't comment on the map support but it appears to be adequate based on previous responses in this thread. If you are planning to pair with a phone (and using maps on the phone) it should be exactly the same. In practice I've found that the mini seems to take a wee bit longer to send messages and get a location fix (perhaps lack of an antenna sticking out - not sure), and obviously the mini is much lighter.
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

I have done TONS of research on this over the last year and finally, after talking with multiple people from on here and reading numerous articles (thanks, Ryan and Joel!), I went with the Explorer+ a few weeks ago. While I'm still figuring it out and getting used to it, I can say that I love it. I like that I can still sync it to my phone (which I still use with Gaia a lot) but have the extra ability with the Garmin for tracking (yes, there is a purpose of this to make sure others know where you are and not be worried), messaging, the map, etc. I have always carried a beacon but I like that this has both the GPS + SOS if needed. A lot comes down to personal preference though. While I was tempted by the Mini's size, ultimately I decided a few extra ounces would be ok as I would prefer the slightly more robust options the Explorer offers. The battery seems fabulous, even with tracking on. No issues whatsoever with messages, tracking, etc. so far either. Good luck deciding!!