Sleeping Bag Maintenance

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 357 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sleeping Bag Maintenance

Post by bunny256 »

You'll definitely want to hang it for storage, don't keep it compressed or bunched up. I also recommend getting a sleeping bag liner, any cheap one will do. They're nice for longer trips or anytime you're sleeping in your bag after getting dirty/sweaty since you can just toss the liner in the wash and keep the inside of the sleeping bag nice. And do try to keep your dogs' nails away, though Tenacious Tape can fix most small tears.
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

Keep it uncompressed as often as possible. If it came with a storage sack, use it as often as possible. Make sure to air it out after each time you use it so as to not pack it away damp. I typically wash mine at the end of each season using down wash, and a machine without an agitator and then air dry in the dryer with some tennis balls. You'll have to break up the down clumps during that process most likely. Some people use a liner to keep the dirt off the bag itself and lessen the frequency of washes.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I've had a Marmot Helium for 15 or so years that's still in great shape. I never really did anything special to keep it in shape except for not storing it compressed. It's usually not been hung up and occasionally left in a storage sack a few days too long. I've rarely used a liner with it.

Basically just saying a quality bag should stand up to quite a bit of use/abuse for many years unless you are really trying to damage it.
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

Definitely get a liner, the Cocoon silk liners are excellent. The Sea to Summit silk liners are quite good, too. Silk is more comfortable than cotton or polyester, and won't hold moisture and cool you off like cotton. Throw the silk liner in the wash after every trip, let it air dry and you're ready for your next trip. They're not cheap, but they'll let you go a lot longer between sleeping bag cleanings. Cleaning a down sleeping bag yourself is (IMO) a PITA, there are companies that will do it for you.
mark
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I've had lots of down bags, all except my first were/are really high quality. A good bag will last a long time with a reasonable amount of care. Here's what I do, others obviously disagree to an extent:

1) I store mine in the big storage bag that should have come with it (not the stuff sack, that's different). If it didn't come with one, REI sells a good cotton storage bag. I think those are pretty good, they breath better vs. the nylon bags.

2) My biggest addition to the discussion: Once I wake up in the field, assuming my tent is dry, I turn the bag inside out and drape it over the spine of my 1P tent. Then I'll go about my morning prep, e.g. make breakfast, re-pack a summit bag, whatever. Not much, maybe 15> minutes? I think airing the bag out just a bit after rising helps. If I'm going off on a climb and planning to return to the tent I just leave it unstuffed inside the tent, more airing.

3) I've never used a liner, I just don't want the weight and clutter. I do, however, do a quick & vigorous brush off of my clothes (I sleep in them) before getting in the bag. Did it this past weekend, my pants esp were pretty dusty from the hike in. But note, even though I typically sleep in my clothes, I don't if they are sweaty. If they are I'll adjust accordingly and usually I'll bring a nylon sleep shirt when it's really hot.

4) If you think a certain part of your bag might be prone to moisture (e.g. the footbox if you use a tarp tent) and your bag is not already equipped with a Goretex shell, consider spraying just that area (NOT the whole bag) with Scotchguard, available at King Soopers, etc. Easy to do: Make sure the nylon is somewhat warm (leave it inside your house/apartment overnight), spray it, let dry. Then once fully dry (24 hrs?), you can iron it with just a slightly warm iron; check your iron's "Nylon" setting. This ironing is optional but tends to "bake" the Scotchguard in. Fwiw, I do this everytime I buy a new bag for the 3-4" just below my chin; when it's cold outside frost forms there from your condensing breath. Seems to help keep it dry, but don't overdo it.

5) I only wash it if needed, not proactively.

6) Invest in a good stuff sack, most of the stock sacks are junk IMO.

Congrats on your purchase!

-Tom
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Happy to help, Alec.

Oh, one last thing: Keep your bag dry! Never store it wet or even damp. If you get it wet (happened to me this weekend, I spilled a bit of water on it when I was packing in the morning, sh*t happens in the field) just try to air it dry as soon as you can.

-Tom
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

The main dangers for a bag are rips and tears, loss of loft, and body oil/dirt.

Address each one and your bag will last a decade.

Be careful not to snag the zipper, get dog paws on it, blown into a tree while airing out, etc.

Store it hanging from the loops. If no space, use the storage bag. If it's a winter bag, fluff it a few times during the summer, and vice versa.
I don't put my bags into compression sacks until the last possible minute. Often driving to trails with the bag still in storage. Take it out of the compression sack as soon as your tent is up.
Air the bag out (inside out, preferably on top of tent) on long multi day trips. Air the bag out when you get home (unzipped, inside out).

Use a liner, wipe your neck and face, don't get sunscreen and insect repellent in it. (See the hygiene thread) I funny always use a liner but I do try to keep it as clean as possible. Dust can be brushed off, but oils will stick and collect dirt. The face and neck area are what will get dirty fastest and that will lead you to wash the bag.
The fewer times you wash the bag (which is a separate topic) the better. But you have to keep it clean.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I store mine in the closet, on a hanger. Keeps the down filling good, and also airs it out so I don't have to wash it.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

The Magma sleeping bags are made with Pertex shells, which I understand to be a waterproof/breathable (or at least water-repellent) fabric. The down itself is treated to be water re[pellent, like a lot of high quality down today. I would be very careful about applying ScotchGuard or any other coating to the bag.
mark