Garmin For Dummies

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Garmin For Dummies

Post by kushrocks »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:47 pm I just picked up an Inreach Explorer+ and am trying to download the gpx files from 14ers onto the Garmin Connect via my Macbook Pro. For some reason i'm getting a "An error occurred with your upload. Please try again. " message after attempting. I'm completely new to garmins firmware, so does anyone have tips for uploading existing (3rd party) GPX into a Garmin device? I've been using my iPhone with AllTrails Pro up to this point.. Any Garmin Tips for newbies is appreciated, thanks.
Can't really help you much with the Garmin. I ditched my $400 one years ago when I found some good free phone apps that have worked great for me when downloading routes from here and other sources. The app works great in airplane mode also to save battery. Its called GPX Viewer and its been awesome. Lets you make your own routes, shows elevation and you can change the terrain background all totally free. Sorry I couldn't help more with the Garmin question.
Attachments
107763100_3171386322948706_7292197799495184641_n.jpg
107763100_3171386322948706_7292197799495184641_n.jpg (216 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
107488557_897313634102794_1712977806045569826_n.jpg
107488557_897313634102794_1712977806045569826_n.jpg (158.67 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
107560825_774558686708193_2623759228324086306_n.jpg
107560825_774558686708193_2623759228324086306_n.jpg (97.04 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

The inReach is really limited for loading that stuff, it can't load maps, I carry my regular etrex for navigation and keep the inReach as a radio. Hate carrying two units, Garmin missed. Their mac software sucks too. I don't use my phone hiking, to save battery and the screen, but have it paired with the inReach app for messages.
Last edited by cougar on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hmm...my experience has been different, but I also don't load someone else's route. I just use the Garmin mapping app that comes with the device, and drop in waypoints to mark a route. There really aren't any GPX files where I tend to go, at least none of which I'm aware. Works for me. I actually like the Garmin mapping app, the default map map is a simple topo with a large "you are here" arrow which I find quick and useful for navigation. I tried Gaia but the map was a bit cluttered with too much detail, and the location marker was tiny and wouldn't expand even if you zoomed the screen. Works great for my needs.

Fwiw, I have it paired with my phone, I like the larger screen for navigation. I'm carrying both anyway (phone for pics, keyboard for sending texts; Garmin for GPS and beacon) so it works well.

But to your question Alec, I don't load GPX files anywhere, Garmin or otherwise. Sorry.

-Tom
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

I do similar to Cougar but with the inreach mini and garmin etrex30. The downside to the mini is that, while not useless on it's own, its functionality is greatly increased with the phone app. But I carry my phone anyway so that's not a problem for me. With the mini slung on the back of my pack, I can text my wife just about like I'm using a normal text app. The etrex is in a pouch on my shoulder strap and that's my main nav device.
Roll No Rocks
Scott03
14ers: 37  7 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scott03 »

I'm glad you posted. I use the same setup, download GPX files from this site onto my Mac, load to Garmin, then to my Inreach. Haven't done it in a while and thought I'd look through the Garmin site before replying...they've changed it sometime in the last year and now I will have to figure out the options too.

Never had too much trouble in past. Are you trying to load your GPX files through the Garmin Explore site? I remember it can get cranky about importing files as "Routes" or "Tracks". I think I used the Tracks option in the past, but like I said, the options have changed since last time. Usually the GPX files from this site work well, especially Bill's. Some of the files from user created Route pages aren't as clean but usually work.

Don't wait to load GPX until right before you leave on a trip! Been there, had that stressful technology breakdown!
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

I never use Garmin connect with my inreach, I have had better success with Garmin Explore. I think garmin connect is designed for the fitness devices and not the inreach

I have zero issues uploading files to my garmin but I generally import the files into caltopo to personalize them before I import them into garmin explore. So I am not sure if that step is homogenizing the file types

I am not tech savvy enough to upload a screen shot to the forms but, the garmins explore portal is pasted below. Once you are logged in it is as simple as hitting the import button, choosing between track/route and selecting the file

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/Accoun ... 2fen-US%2f

My steps:
Download GPX onto personal device
Open GPX into caltopo and nerd out over maps(i am sure you could skip this)
Save the file as a gpx with updated file name
Import GPX Into garmin explore as a route
Open earthmate app on my cell phone
Turn inreach on and connect it to my phone via Bluetooth
Once connected to the phone, the inreach will automatically update and download any new files in your account
cougar
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I use Basecamp to load and dump out GPX

Not the best but it works and is the only installed software available for Mac.

"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
Alpine Guy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Cougar, sorry if I'm pulling CaptCO's thread in a new direction but I think you said you use Basecamp to load GPX files to your device. When I've used Basecamp to load a 3rd party GPX file (not a track I created, e.g. from this site) it defaults to large flag icons at each waypoint which totally obscures the small screen on my etrex. Absolutely useless. Have you found a way around that, or does it just work right for you?
Roll No Rocks
cougar
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Alpine Guy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:12 pm Cougar, sorry if I'm pulling CaptCO's thread in a new direction but I think you said you use Basecamp to load GPX files to your device. When I've used Basecamp to load a 3rd party GPX file (not a track I created, e.g. from this site) it defaults to large flag icons at each waypoint which totally obscures the small screen on my etrex. Absolutely useless. Have you found a way around that, or does it just work right for you?
I see that for the routes from this site, but not the tracks. Tracks look much cleaner and are easier to see, routes are a string of waypoints and the unit beeps when you're on them, used a lot more battery too.

justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Alpine Guy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:12 pm Cougar, sorry if I'm pulling CaptCO's thread in a new direction but I think you said you use Basecamp to load GPX files to your device. When I've used Basecamp to load a 3rd party GPX file (not a track I created, e.g. from this site) it defaults to large flag icons at each waypoint which totally obscures the small screen on my etrex. Absolutely useless. Have you found a way around that, or does it just work right for you?
Many of the tracks you can download on here aren't tracks, but routes. You want to d/l the tracks, not routes:
routes.jpg
routes.jpg (238.68 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
You can convert between the two in a few ways. In basecamp, select the route, and right click to bring up a menu and select, "Create track from route"
create_track.jpg
create_track.jpg (140.6 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
and use the new track made

You can also do this in GPSVisualizer. Select, "Convert to GPX"

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_i ... format=gpx

Upload your route.

In the advanced options under, "GPX/CSV routepoints:" select, "convert to tracks only"

Save the output as a text file with a, ".gpx" file ending.

The easiest way to import a .gpx track into a garmin is to connect the garmin to your computer via a USB chord. It'll come up like an external volume. Just drag/drop the file into the directory labeled, "GPX". No need to have BaseCamp involved at all.
Alpine Guy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

Thanks - that gives me something to work on. I'd pretty much given up on gpx files before.
Roll No Rocks
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

I'm a tech neanderthal. I also get off route sometimes (lost). If that happens, I want something to get me back on track.

So if I download a map from CalTopo or something similar, and my cellphone has GPS, can I pull up the topo and see a "you are here" arrow which will tell me where I am?

I don't have a Garmin, and would rather avoid plunking down $450 if I can do almost the same thing with my phone.
Last edited by Altitude High on Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.