Zamberlan Boots Chunking Problem and Lack of Customer Support

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Zamberlan Boots Chunking Problem and Lack of Customer Support

Post by youngk2844 »

Has anyone out there had issues with the sole of their Zamberlan boots "chunking out?" Back in early June , after a climb (a rocky scramble) I noticed a good-sized chunk of the sole was missing from one of my boots.
I really like the fit of these Zamberlan boots (Vioz 996 GTX) but, the appearance of this missing chunk of sole is troubling. I've never had a problem like this in any other boot.
I tried reaching out to Zamberlan back in mid-June to find out if this type of problem is something they are aware of and if it is even repairable. I understand many Zamberlan boots can now be resoled. But, is this even possible with this kind of chunking damage? And, if this is a systemic problem with the materials they use in their boots, I'm hesitant to even continue using these boots or buy new ones.
Zamberlan Chunking.JPG
Zamberlan Chunking.JPG (50.07 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
After five weeks of several emails and a phone call to Zamberlan customer service, they have not yet responded so, no help there.
Any information from other Zamberlan boot owners would be appreciated. Other than this chunking problem, I really like the fit of the boots, the way they can handle crampons for easy snow climbs, and the durability of the uppers. But, I don't want to buy another pair until I know if this chunking problem is a common problem or not.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Zamberlan Boots Chunking Problem and Lack of Customer Support

Post by polar »

I don't own any Zamberlan shoes or boots, but just from the photo, it doesn't look like a failure in material. How long have you been using these boots? The Vibram outsole in that area is already looking pretty thin, I'm guessing on your last scramble you stepped on some particular sharp rock that just took a chunk out of the bottom of the boots (including the Vibram outsole which is pretty much the golden standard).
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

Go to REI's ratings and sort from the bottom up - and you'll see you're not alone. The soles (3D Vibram - proprietary to Zamberlan) certainly have issues but the leather uppers are still good. Nicely formed to my foot and the Gortex is still holding up after over a year. I've been patching them up with Shoe-Goo until I can get them resoled with something more durable. I recently sent a photo to a cobbler and they said they can do it. Hope they're right because REI now has them on sale for 25% off, so I just bought another pair. I figure the discount will just about pay for that next resole. And yes, Zamberlan's customer service sucks. I also left a message that went unanswered. Unfortunately, due to the shape of - and some medical problems with my feet, these are one of the very few boots I can wear so I have to put up with BS like this. I can let you know how the resole turns out but it will be a couple of months as the cobbler is extremely backed up now.
youngk2844
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Powhound, thanks for the info. Please post results of your re-sole. And, I will try using the Shoe goo.
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I was just looking at one of my shoes today and noticed something kind of similar. Not as big as yours, but on one of my fairly new shoes (only seen a handful trips) developed three small notches after a long day of talus hopping.
IMG_20200722_114914040.jpg
IMG_20200722_114914040.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
IMG_20200722_095042819.jpg
IMG_20200722_095042819.jpg (130.75 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
youngk2844
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Polar, Thanks for the photos and insight. My concern with the damage on my boot is it extends into the layer of material (sub-sole? Inner-sole?) below the black Vibram layer. As Powhound pointed out, several REI reviewers have reported similar problems with this boot. Maybe Zamberlan's resole method uses upgraded materials to address this problem? Or, maybe Zamberlan is making adjustments to their boot design to address this. If so, I'd spring for a resole or even consider buying new Zamberlan boots. It would be helpful to hear back from Zamberlan on this issue. For now, I'll just try filling the void with shoe goo, stick to easy trails, and start looking for new boots from a different maker. I do a fair amount of solo off-trail backpacking in some remote areas and don't want to worry that my boots may fall apart mid-trip. These boots have a lot going for them but this chunking issue is a fatal flaw.
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Understand. It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but the damage on mine also extends pass the black Vibram outsole to the layer underneath. So maybe it's not limited to the Zamberlan boots (mine are made by Aku - an Italian company).
JacerJack
14ers: 58  3  3 
13ers: 11 3 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by JacerJack »

I had the exact same thing happen to a pair of Scarpa Zodiacs a while back. Photo below was after less than 30 trail miles. Contacted Scarpa and they said it was a common issue due to a bad batch of Vibram rubber that was failing (this was summer of 2017). They replaced those boots for me with a new iteration and they've held up to 3 years of use and abuse since then. I'd be inclined to think it could be from that same "bad batch" if your boots are from that same era...

Also worth noting that I was told these could not be re-soled due to the fact that some of the midsole came out with the rubber. I think you're in for a new pair of boots, unfortunately.

youngk2844
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

JacerJack, thanks for the input. I bought my boots in late 2016 while living in Colorado shortly before moving to Idaho. I got a couple hikes in on them before leaving Colorado and then a few more on them in Idaho. I'm guessing close to about 200 trail miles total. Good to hear Scarpa stood behind their boots and provided a replacement.
A free replacement from Zamberlan would be great but I don't mind paying for new Zamberlan boots or a resole (if it is possible). I just don't want to spend the money if the same problem is going to happen again. Maybe it was the bad batch of Vibram rubber or some other material problem. If Zamberlan's customer service would respond, we may find out....