Climbing in the rain - any suggestions?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Climbing in the rain - any suggestions?

Post by nyker »

powhound wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am When I was hiking the Colorado Trail, I crossed paths with a few northbound CDT hikers who swore by trekking umbrellas....
These are pretty common in Europe
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

+1 for Gandalf69’s suggestion, don’t do it.
My advice is to stay away from that Windstopper fleece garbage, once it gets wet, you’re screwed.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I’d say just harden the eff up. I haven’t done much hiking in the rain but I have done several 20 plus mile runs and 100 plus mile rides in terrible conditions. Get cold, just go faster. If it’s just a day out you’ll be fine. Multi-day you’ll probably want a way to dry out.
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:34 pm I’d say just harden the eff up. I haven’t done much hiking in the rain but I have done several 20 plus mile runs and 100 plus mile rides in terrible conditions. Get cold, just go faster. If it’s just a day out you’ll be fine. Multi-day you’ll probably want a way to dry out.
Runs and rides are a lot different than climbs. You can't just power through wet slab, disintegrating soil banks, or an electric storm. Without even considering comfort or temperature even light rain can cause significant technical challenges to arise that should not be taken lightly.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

timewarp01 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:39 pm
AndrewLyonsGeibel wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:34 pm I’d say just harden the eff up. I haven’t done much hiking in the rain but I have done several 20 plus mile runs and 100 plus mile rides in terrible conditions. Get cold, just go faster. If it’s just a day out you’ll be fine. Multi-day you’ll probably want a way to dry out.
Runs and rides are a lot different than climbs. You can't just power through wet slab, disintegrating soil banks, or an electric storm. Without even considering comfort or temperature even light rain can cause significant technical challenges to arise that should not be taken lightly.
Almost all of my running has been higher altitude trails. Doesn’t matter what you wear, a wet slab is gonna be slippery. Lightning strikes all over the place so maybe try to avoid that. They just asked about rain and maybe I wrongly assumed day hikes.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

LoveThisSite wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:44 am Weather forecast this weekend isn't looking that great. Obviously early start but I wouldn't mind climbing in the rain as long as there is no lightning. Kinda enjoy being out in the rain actually. Any tips for climbing in the rain? I'll obviously have a shell and waterproof boots, and I just realized a pack cover is probably a good idea.
It rained all night and all morning today. Drizzle to medium rain. No lightning. Loads of people summitted. Morning rain was a nice change of pace from the recent heat.

Frogg Toggs are awesome. Not breathable nor durable but they're waterproof, lightweight, and cheap. $15-20. If you carry a small pack the smallest size ("S/M") will fit over your pack and whatever warmer layers you need. Looks absolutely ridiculous.
Gloves are a must. Light fleece gloves seem to work nicely and stay warm in light rain. $5. Also not sexy.
Personal preference but I like light, breathable shoes, tights and shorts. All fast drying rather than mythically waterproof. If you get too cold, throw on the Togg bottoms. Standard layers up top (under the Toggs) up to a light puffy if needed.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

What this guy said. I have run ultra marathons and I have to say the most enlightening moment was on the Lake City 50. Way up high. Mid day. I am running behind a guy, we are watching thunder storms roll over the ridge we are running on and he turns to me and says, and I quote, "I am a doctor. Do you know CPR?"

It rained. Lightening occurred. We both survived. As did the other 100 or so runners on the ridge. Really opened my eyes.

Get cold, run faster.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Wentzl wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:20 pm
What this guy said. I have run ultra marathons and I have to say the most enlightening moment was on the Lake City 50. Way up high. Mid day. I am running behind a guy, we are watching thunder storms roll over the ridge we are running on and he turns to me and says, and I quote, "I am a doctor. Do you know CPR?"

It rained. Lightening occurred. We both survived. As did the other 100 or so runners on the ridge. Really opened my eyes.

Get cold, run faster.
http://blog.alpineinstitute.com/2011/03 ... loops.html
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

That article does suggest you are paying attention.

Two schools of thought, and I don't necessarily agree with the Alpineinstitute, from whom I have taken a course in glacier travel on Mt. Baker some years ago.

The article presents the point that, even if 100 people got away with something, that does not detract from the fact that it is potentially fatal and that you might get killed.

My point is this. The activity may kill you, but 100's of others have gotten by, so your chances are good.

Pick your poison.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

3 of the 70 fatalities on Longs Peak 1915-2020 have been from lightning strikes. That is @4%.

http://rockymountainhikingtrails.blogsp ... ities.html

The statistics for all of the 14er fatalities are not as clear. Most are falls.

Colorado averages 2 lightning fatalities and 12 injuries a year. El Paso County (Colorado Springs) is the most dangerous lightning county, Golf and outdoor high school sports are the most dangerous lightning activities.

Yes, I have been very scared several times caught in mountain lightning storms.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Wentzl wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 pm My point is this. The activity may kill you, but 100's of others have gotten by, so your chances are good.
Likelihood of occurrence vs severity of occurrence.
When the likely outcome is death, think hard about the odds.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

Just a quick note on this past weekend's weather. I bailed, because i was supposed to have the whole family (4 to 8 years old) and my wife thought it best to skip. But, many people were calling the weather patterns "monsoonal" when actually it is the opposite of that. We had a huge pressure system sitting right over the state. The weather is more typical of what you see associated with a high pressure. By definition, high pressure is descending. Conversely, monsoon patterns are associated with moisture from Mexico, low pressure (tends to rise) and combined with the terrain (orographic lifting) it sends the rapidly rising warm moist air upwsrds and causes the convective activity.

Just some geeky weather observstions. Rain isn't always bad, and if I would have had a big trip planned I wouldn't have canceled, like i did over 4th of July for the san juans.