New topo surveys?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

New topo surveys?

Post by Boggy B »

Did I miss a thread on this? I've been seeing this more lately:
topo.png
topo.png (405.24 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
This is near Molas Pass.
That's almost (or is, in many cases probably) enough detail to figure out if a route will go from your desk.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: New topo surveys?

Post by dwoodward13 »

I started seeing more and more of this during the past winter season looking at the slope angle shading. Looks like the USGS is using LiDAR, and I believe the shaded relief pulls from the same dataset as the slope angle shading?

http://caltopo.com/about/2019/12/20/hig ... tion-data/

Edit: and here's an interactive coverage map on the updated LiDAR scans: Map
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Interesting. Where are you seeing this? Looks to be just digital elevation modeling, but I'm not exactly sure how that works... some sort of post-processing on the topo data.

The surveyor I work with keeps telling me about the new vertical datum coming in the next couple years - no more NAVD88. He also mentioned, it'll lower elevations and a few of the lower CO 14ers (<14,005) might become 13ers.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

oldschoolczar wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:59 pm Where are you seeing this?
Oops. Yep, it's the shaded relief (and any layers that include it, like the MapBuilder topos) on caltopo.

Definitely not post-processing. It looks like, as dwoodward13 suggested, someone's doing hi-res LiDAR surveys. Pretty neat.