Kids Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Kids Boots

Post by nickm »

Hello,
I have 2 boys ages 8 & 11 now. Every year we have been going through at least 3 pairs of hiking boots each. I have not been able to find anything that does not either fall apart at the seams of wear flat within a couple of months. At any given time they have 2-4 pairs each and they are rotated.
Some of the brands I have tried are Salomon, Merrell, Keen, Vasque, North Face, and Lowa. Lowa being the most disappointing. I paid well over $100 each as they were advertised as the same quality as their adult boots. Fell apart just as fast as much cheaper boots.
I was wondering if anyone has found a brand or certain model that has held up well? I know Asolo & Salewa make kids boots, however I have been unable to find anyone in the US that carries them. Has anyone tried the kids boots in either of these brands?
Any input is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Nick
Canadian_bass
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kids Boots

Post by Canadian_bass »

My son (10) has been using boots from Karrimor. They have a gortex liner. We don't have an opportunity to put a ton of miles on them but they have held up through hikes in the Adirondacks and some local hikes as well.

You can get them through Eastern Mountain Sports.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

You're wasting your money, but I guess its your money. If the kids don't wear out the boots they'll grow out of them in no time at that age.
I always went with Goodwill or found others used. Lots available, but sometimes you have to search. I even bought a size or two up when I found them knowing they'll fit in a year or so. (Same with snowboard boots!) The quality doesn't really matter when you're only shelling out 5 bucks. However, I did find some seriously nice boots for pennies! And when they grow out of them, back to Goodwill.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

nickm wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:54 am Some of the brands I have tried are Salomon, Merrell, Keen, Vasque, North Face, and Lowa.
We always used Merrels and never had problems with them. It is interesting that you did.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nickm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Thanks for the replies! Reading this as we sit on their 45th ish summit this year.
I understand the thought process is that they will outgrow the boots before they wear them out. For us that is not the case. That is why I am reaching out to see what other people have had good luck with.
I just bought them each a pair of Columbia, my 11 year olds toe cap is already coming off. Was on his second day with them.
Thanks again,
Nick
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

nickm wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:09 am
I just bought them each a pair of Columbia, my 11 year olds toe cap is already coming off. Was on his second day with them.
Geesh. That's not good.
None of the many used boots I picked up EVER wore out. Must have had good luck I guess.
nickm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Just curious mtree are your kids spending a lot of time on boulder scrambles, hiking on talus or scree? I’m just trying to figure out why this is such a problem for us?
Thanks,
Nick
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

They sure did! They loved scrambling and crappy rock. The more the merrier. In fact, they'd downclimb and come back up because it was "fun". Weirdos.
nickm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Lol, the way it should be mtree!

CB, thanks for the tip on Karrimor. A brand I have never heard of. I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Skido. Fingers crossed!
nickm
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

Kids boots update:
Thanks again CB for the recommendation on the Karimor boots. They are very much one of the better performing boots they have used!

The Karrimor Skido boots I had ordered for my son are easy to get on, have great ankle support, lightweight for the size, and good traction. They are one of the better boots for the price. However the stitching has let go on the inside of both boots. I received these boots at the end of August, about the time school started. So I would say use was minimal. Seems to be very much inline with my experience on all other kids boots my boys have used.

If anyone has any other recommendations I would not mind giving them a try!

Thanks,
Nick
Attachments
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-3.jpeg (448.04 KiB) Viewed 1901 times