Plantar Fasciitis

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Plantar Fasciitis

Post by nyker »

Seems I've have gotten plantar fasciiatis over the lockdown along with a heel spur. ](*,)

I'm thinking it's linked to either worn orthotics in need of replacement or the change in my fitness activity and not going to the gym for 6 months, etc. so insofar as possible, I 've been trying to
replicate the same legwork in my apartment with some smaller weights/dumbbells.

Per my Dr. recommendation, I've been doing the suggested /normal calf stretches and massage, hamstring stretching, focus on insoles, etc. but hasn't really helped over the last month.
Most physical therapy places are still only doing remote work around here so that won't be of assistance for a while.
Not that internet solicitations of healthcare is ever recommended, but Googling resulted in the same stretches I'm doing.

Has anyone here gotten plantar fasciitis and fully recovered/fixed it without any invasive treatments/cortisone shots?

If so, would love to hear about your routine, exercises that worked for you (or didn't) and any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 214 37
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Post by Will_E »

I got it last fall, likely from running more so than hiking. Doc told me to use a strassberg sock while sleeping, and exercising it up and down with my toes on a step. Said it wouldn’t slow down recovery if I continued to run on it. Took a good 6-8 months before it completely went away.
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

I have it badly. I've had luck with Hoka's. Seems that the cause of my flareups is high impact activities, especially if I play basketball. Anyways, I tried going back to my Sportivas a few weeks back and it was a big mistake. Hoka's are it for me. I wear the mid cushion trail runners.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Will_E wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:17 am I got it last fall, likely from running more so than hiking. Doc told me to use a strassberg sock while sleeping, and exercising it up and down with my toes on a step. Said it wouldn’t slow down recovery if I continued to run on it. Took a good 6-8 months before it completely went away.
+1 almost exactly, minus the Strassberg sock (although that might have helped). About 10 years ago, it kept me out of running for almost 4 months, the longest "break" for me in 30 years. I do 32 toe raises on a stair almost every morning now, and have not had it since. The range of motion is more important than the number of reps. Go slow and get a full stretch at the bottom. Can't say that will work for everyone, but it works for me.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
litote312
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by litote312 »

Got it a few years back from running, I did much of the same that you mentioned and it dulled in 3 months and was completely gone in maybe 6. On top of that though I bought golf balls and rolled one around the arch/heel area of my foot. Not sure if that’s recommended or actually good advice, but it felt amazing.
Don't bash each other; bash willows.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

interesting, ...when you guys say "toe raises" are you referring to those foot/toe raises with your heel on the floor while sitting/standing or are you referring to calf raises on your toes?
or both?

Understand everyone is different, but if the former with heel on floor, did you find either one foot at a time or both at once worked better?
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

I think they mean calf raises on stair steps, so that your heels will be lower than your toes during the stretch phase. That sounds like a good idea. (And so does trying different footwear). Additionally, i have iced my feet after every run (by rolling on water bottles that i kept in the freezer for that purpose).
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

an iced water bottle is a good idea too, thanks mtnkub
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

My PT recommended these two exercises daily: standing calf stretch against the wall, and seated plantar stretch.

Do three rounds for each foot. It should take 3min 30sec per exercise.
30 sec stretch
5 sec rest
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

Acupuncture helped me tremendously when I got plantar facitis while training for Orizaba; think winter climbing with snowshoes in deep powder; it was a recipe for ankle biters. I was also scarfing beef jerky and following up with ample beer (I’ve heard rumor that beer’s great for returning glycogen stores to the muscles... never thought to doubt the power of beer...) I share this because I was told to limit gout causing foods... <insert beef jerky and beer here>... did eliminate such among other surprising foods, and I believe that this has kept it from coming back.

In regards to the standing on golfballs and rolling them around: pure bitter bliss. Used this method when I insisted on cramming my feet geisha style into a pair of 5-10s. It was the only thing that really unkinked my feet. Not sure if that’s recommended for everyone tho.

**edit: able to drink beer more than occasionally, it wasn’t eliminated all together, if that’s helpful intel.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Justin9 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:24 am I have it badly. I've had luck with Hoka's. Seems that the cause of my flareups is high impact activities, especially if I play basketball. Anyways, I tried going back to my Sportivas a few weeks back and it was a big mistake. Hoka's are it for me. I wear the mid cushion trail runners.
Thanks, Justin are Hoka's known for their cushioning with those larger soles? I've never tried them.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

I had it about a decade ago and changed my aerobic routine. I stopped running and the stairmaster, and only did the bike. I continued to play tennis but started wearing arch supports in all my athletic shoes. Sounds like you are already doing that. It healed up in a few months and I haven't had it since. After it healed I returned to my previous routine, but with arch supports, which I continue to wear in hiking and all athletic shoes. I did give up running a few years ago, an accommodation to old age, and get my aerobic exercise on an elliptical machine or in the mountains. Haven't had a problem for almost a decade.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean