Interesting read about trekking poles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Interesting read about trekking poles

Post by Lioness »

rijaca wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 am
Lioness wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:38 pm What he needed to add is "when used properly". Many of the people I see don't use them properly. Gripping the handles for support instead of putting the weight on the straps and pushing down. Not adjusting the length - generally too short.
After 30 years of using hiking poles, if someone were to tell me that I wasn't using my poles properly, I would probably poke the person in the nose with my pole. It's easier when you don't have your hand through the straps.
You're not using you poles properly. Now let's see you poke me in my nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q2YwOE ... eMountains
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Lioness wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:38 pm What he needed to add is "when used properly". Many of the people I see don't use them properly. Gripping the handles for support instead of putting the weight on the straps and pushing down. Not adjusting the length - generally too short.
After 30 years of using hiking poles, if someone were to tell me that I wasn't using my poles properly, I would probably poke the person in the nose with my pole. It's easier when you don't have your hand through the straps.
+1

While more useful in some terrain (bowling ball sized rocks, slick, mossy/slippery) vs. flatter, marked trails, trekking poles are great for what they do - provide balance and distribute force a little more than just walking on two feet. I find they are most helpful on steep downhills to help ease pressure on knees.
They are also good for testing mud, waterholes, grass, and softer snow before making that step. Up here a lot of hikes across mud or water are on 2-4 or 2x8 planks to help with erosion, and poles are almost essential for those sections.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 am
I never use the straps either, but that comes more from tree skiing - using straps is a good way to break your wrist if you catch it on a branch or something. I guess I figure the same risk comes in hiking, catching it on a branch, root, stuck in between rocks, marmot hole, etc. I like the ease of release.
You shouldn't use hiking poles at all. You could get hit by daylight lightening (spend all your money on the Powerball and hire people to carry you to the peak).
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I never use the straps either, but that comes more from tree skiing - using straps is a good way to break your wrist if you catch it on a branch or something. I guess I figure the same risk comes in hiking, catching it on a branch, root, stuck in between rocks, marmot hole, etc. I like the ease of release.
agree - I'm always afraid of my poles getting stuck in the straps and then my hand would be locked into the pole as it goes down and I face plant or worse.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:50 am

Poke!!! I'd do it in person but my poles aren't long enough to social distance.

Obviously, you haven't done much off trail hiking. :-$
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

rijaca wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:59 am
Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:50 am

Poke!!! I'd do it in person but my poles aren't long enough to social distance.

Obviously, you haven't done much off trail hiking. :-$
I've worn out more trekking pole tips then your ever owned!
Last edited by Lioness on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

nyker wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 am

agree - I'm always afraid of my poles getting stuck in the straps and then my hand would be locked into the pole as it goes down and I face plant or worse.
Watch the video I posted above. It sound as if you are using the straps wrong.
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am

I see. You're an expert because you watched a video on You Tube.

Edited to not confuse Lioness.
Last edited by rijaca on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Listen to the scientists:

PROPER POLE USE

When walking on flat terrain, hold your poles so your arms are bent at about 90 degrees. Take time to readjust pole length when going up (shorten) or downhill (lengthen) so you can maintain a comfortable grip and upright posture. Researcher Dr. Knight recommends using wrist straps and a light grip on the handles.

https://www.backpacker.com/gear/the-sci ... king-poles
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

rijaca wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:05 am
Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am

I see. You're an expert cuz you watched a video on You Tube.
cuz? I doubt we are related.
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 am Listen to the scientists:

PROPER POLE USE

When walking on flat terrain, hold your poles so your arms are bent at about 90 degrees. Take time to readjust pole length when going up (shorten) or downhill (lengthen) so you can maintain a comfortable grip and upright posture. Researcher Dr. Knight recommends using wrist straps and a light grip on the handles.

https://www.backpacker.com/gear/the-sci ... king-poles
When walking on flat terrain. Doesn't look too flat to me....
Pilgrim w poles.jpg
Pilgrim w poles.jpg (212.4 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Lioness = TallGrass?

i use BD Z-poles most of the time, which don't have adjustable lengths. going uphill, i'll use the straps when i can because it gives you a little extra leverage for pulling yourself uphill. but if it's too steep, then you can't keep the poles vertical with your wrists in the straps, and you have to choke down on the lower part of the grips, which is how the poles are designed to be used. they're non-adjustable, so the only way to "change the length" is gripping lower on the poles, which is why the grips extend further down the pole. if the poles are too long going uphill, then the poles will be angled away from the slope and you're not helping yourself anymore.

going downhill, using the straps is pointless. they're more for balance than anything else, and if you need to take stress off your knees, it helps more to place your hands on top of the grips than to put weight into the straps. also, having your wrists in the straps is more of a risk if you fall when you're going downhill. falling uphill isn't likely to lead to injury, but downhill is a different story.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin