Interesting read about trekking poles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Interesting read about trekking poles

Post by highpilgrim »

Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:49 am
Is your belly too big or your jacket too small?
You know (little), even with my beer storage device, I think I could walk you into the ground, Elsa. So can rijaca, btw.

Of course the next time you get your trekking pole lodged into a crack or crevice and take a fall because YOU CAN'T LET IT GO, I'm sure you'll be back here pontificating some more about something you don't know equally well, while of course neglecting to admit you might have been wrong.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

SamWerner wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:46 am I typically use poles on terrain that is varied enough that I need to be able to quickly adjust my hand position to account for different ground levels. Using straps makes that impossible.
Hm, i actually find it easier to adjust and vary my hand position when i am using straps. (I get the argument of the possibility of getting stuck. But that happens to me all the time, and so far without adverse effect; maybe because i am hiking too slow).
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

REI used to a workshop on trekking poles. I never realized there was so much to proper use and selection (REI has 40) until I heard the free introductory part of the workshop. That was followed by a paid field workshop. These workshops might have prevented the shoulder injury claimed in an earlier post.
SamWerner
14ers: 37  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SamWerner »

mtnkub wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 pm
SamWerner wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:46 am I typically use poles on terrain that is varied enough that I need to be able to quickly adjust my hand position to account for different ground levels. Using straps makes that impossible.
Hm, i actually find it easier to adjust and vary my hand position when i am using straps. (I get the argument of the possibility of getting stuck. But that happens to me all the time, and so far without adverse effect; maybe because i am hiking too slow).
My poles have a main handhold made out of cork, and then a secondary one just below those that are made out of foam. So if I have a big step up, I'll typically "choke up" on the handles, sliding my hands down, so I can use the poles on that step without needing to put my arms in a less advantageous position. Same thing if I'm walking sideslope, and one side needs to be longer than the other. I usually hike pretty fast so being able to adjust on the fly is pretty essential for me. But yeah when I'm in snow or if it's relatively non-varied terrain, I use the straps all the time.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 am
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:23 am

going downhill, using the straps is pointless. they're more for balance than anything else, and if you need to take stress off your knees, it helps more to place your hands on top of the grips than to put weight into the straps. also, having your wrists in the straps is more of a risk if you fall when you're going downhill. falling uphill isn't likely to lead to injury, but downhill is a different story.
A lot wrong there. First, more deaths and injuries happen going down the mountain than up.
uh, yeah. that's what i said.
Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 amStraps incorporate the larger triceps and back muscles. Gripping the handles engages the forearm and biceps. Also, when falling and trying to stop it by grasping the handle with small tired muscles and sweaty hands is a bad idea. Havint your wrists in the traps is only a risk if you are using them wrong.
having anything wrapped around your wrists during a fall is going to add another potential source of injury. also, poles are not designed to be used to stop a fall, they aren't made to support the entire weight of your body suddenly landing on them, and many will bend (aluminum) or break (carbon) if you do. if you are falling, the best thing to do is to drop them, not try to use them to catch your fall.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

SamWerner wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:02 pm
mtnkub wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 pm
My poles have a main handhold made out of cork, and then a secondary one just below those that are made out of foam. So if I have a big step up, I'll typically "choke up" on the handles, sliding my hands down, so I can use the poles on that step without needing to put my arms in a less advantageous position. Same thing if I'm walking sideslope, and one side needs to be longer than the other. I usually hike pretty fast so being able to adjust on the fly is pretty essential for me. But yeah when I'm in snow or if it's relatively non-varied terrain, I use the straps all the time.
exactly, that's why those secondary handholds are there. pole makers don't just put them there for decoration. same for the straps, too. each one is appropriate for different circumstances, conditions, etc.
certain people with an absolutist mindset can't seem to grasp that concept (maybe they need straps for that?)
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I remove the straps from my ski poles and don’t use hiking poles, but I’m gonna get my wife a pair for Christmas, what’s a good make/model?
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:16 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:23 am

going downhill, using the straps is pointless. they're more for balance than anything else, and if you need to take stress off your knees, it helps more to place your hands on top of the grips than to put weight into the straps. also, having your wrists in the straps is more of a risk if you fall when you're going downhill. falling uphill isn't likely to lead to injury, but downhill is a different story.
A lot wrong there. First, more deaths and injuries happen going down the mountain than up.
Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 amStraps incorporate the larger triceps and back muscles. Gripping the handles engages the forearm and biceps. Also, when falling and trying to stop it by grasping the handle with small tired muscles and sweaty hands is a bad idea. Havint your wrists in the traps is only a risk if you are using them wrong.
having anything wrapped around your wrists during a fall is going to add another potential source of injury. also, poles are not designed to be used to stop a fall, they aren't made to support the entire weight of your body suddenly landing on them, and many will bend (aluminum) or break (carbon) if you do. if you are falling, the best thing to do is to drop them, not try to use them to catch your fall.
So, the whole argument that trekking poles help with balance, especially with a heavy back pack is wrong. Something new every day.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:43 pm I remove the straps from my ski poles and don’t use hiking poles, but I’m gonna get my wife a pair for Christmas, what’s a good make/model?
I've had good luck with these from Cascade Mountain Tech: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM0YGW8/
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

timisimaginary wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:24 pm exactly, that's why those secondary handholds are there. pole makers don't just put them there for decoration. same for the straps, too. each one is appropriate for different circumstances, conditions, etc.
certain people with an absolutist mindset can't seem to grasp that concept (maybe they need straps for that?)
I always like your jokes but here's some good truth, too!

BTW, here are the results of the full meta-analysis that the article summarizes.

It's bizarre to me (but perhaps emblematic of public rhetoric) for people here to be claiming absolute general answers based on their own singular experiences. Hike your own hike!

Clearly, there are enough people using poles with success. And enough people not using poles, with success. And straps, in various configurations and situations.
It's like handhelds vs. hydration packs in trail races -- there are different energetic/heat/convenience costs, but people have been winning either way.

Some of the variables that aren't as exhaustively considered or appreciated in singular examples is weight of pack; steepness of terrain; length of hike (in miles, or days, or weeks); phenotype of hiker (height/weight/musculature/age/cardiovascular fitness); familiarity with poles.
So a young, light runner who has never used poles day-hiking an undulating trail, for example, makes a different optimal choice than, say, a parent carrying their kids' gear up and down mountain passes for a backpacking trip.
Last edited by madbuck on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Poles have saved my knees in many situations, although I don't take them on every trail. I definitely have them with heavier weight or when I need the added support coming down steep slopes where I don't need to use my hands. Guess they are a "to each, their own" item. Like with any equipment, it all comes down to knowing how to use them properly in different situations.
timisimaginary
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Lioness wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:48 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:16 pm

So, the whole argument that trekking poles help with balance, especially with a heavy back pack is wrong. Something new every day.
there is a difference between preventing a fall before it happens (balance) and catching yourself after you've already started to fall. poles are useful for balancing so you have less chance of falling, but they can't prevent every fall... and if you do start falling, they are no longer useful and potentially dangerous, which is why it's helpful not to have them strapped to you in that situation.