Julbo Sherpas suck - any recs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Abraham Linksys
Trip Reports (1)

Julbo Sherpas suck - any recs?

Post by Abraham Linksys »

I wore these guys for the first time yesterday, and my eyes were beet-red, bloodshot, and actually hurt. Any recs for something that actually protects from the sun?
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Julbo Sherpas suck - any recs?

Post by climbnowworklater »

Cheap walmart.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Abraham Linksys wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 am I wore these guys for the first time yesterday, and my eyes were beet-red, bloodshot, and actually hurt. Any recs for something that actually protects from the sun?
Julbo's come with a variety of lenses, which ones do yours have? (or is it the frame itself giving you issues?).
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

that design is like 40 years old

I buy dark tinted safety glasses, home depot is where its at
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Julbo Colorado are my favorite. Julbo doesn't sell them anymore but you can still find them on Amazon.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I really like the Peppers brand. Mid range price wise, but I've gotten about 7 years so far on my $40 pair.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Look for something with a low VLT rating (<20%) that covers most/all of your field of view, and you should be fine. I like big Oakley sun/safety glasses like the Radar and ballistic M-frame. A bit pricey, but I'm still wearing one set that's nearly a decade old.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:15 am that design is like 40 years old

I buy dark tinted safety glasses, home depot is where its at
Hahahaha, sounds consistent with the theme cottonmountaineering. Good on you sir.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:15 am that design is like 40 years old
FWIW - I have a pair of Julbo Glacier glasses (not sure what model but they kinda look like the Sherpas) that I bought 40 years ago and I still wear them. I have them on in my avatar pic. I use them almost exclusively in the winter and have not had the problems you speak of.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I'm a big fan of my Julbo Explorer XL's with Camel lenses in them, make them really flexible for different light conditions. Generally, find a frame that fits your face (the Explorer XL for my fat face) and then get a lens that makes sense for your usage.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Jay521 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:10 pm
FWIW - I have a pair of Julbo Glacier glasses (not sure what model but they kinda look like the Sherpas) that I bought 40 years ago and I still wear them. I have them on in my avatar pic. I use them almost exclusively in the winter and have not had the problems you speak of.
its gonna be different for everyone for fitment, but the sherpas have no shape (flat) and light leaks through the top and bottom. every other pair of glacier glasses youll find contours a persons face. in his tr you can see the fitment issue
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20864
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:46 pm
cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Jay521 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:10 pm
its gonna be different for everyone for fitment, but the sherpas have no shape (flat) and light leaks through the top and bottom. every other pair of glacier glasses youll find contours a persons face. in his tr you can see the fitment issue
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20864
If I was only as young as the guy in that pic that CaptCO posted!

To the fitment issue - I bent mine just a touch at the nose bridge and haven't had any trouble. In fact, they seal so well that I have a problem with them fogging sometimes and have to pull them away from my eyes to let a little outside air clear them.

I guess I just have a flat face! :) Probably from falling down so much?
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down