My Toes Are Still Cold

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: My Toes Are Still Cold

Post by Wildernessjane »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:59 pm To the "experts" saying Nepals aren't a warm enough boot for Colorado mountaineering. I bought my 8000M Scarpa Phantom Double Boots for 1/4 of the price because the woman told me her Nepals sufficed on Denali and these were overkill for her. If you're going to give advice, plug in your resume at the very least (CMC Instructor)
I’m not seeing where anyone said Nepal Evos aren’t warm enough for Colorado 14ers in winter. There are certainly cheaper, warmer options though that are perfectly adequate for most routes on winter 14ers. Personally, I only wear my Nepals when I’m expecting to wear crampons for a long time and I want the stability of a stiffer boot or for technical ice climbing. Everyone is different though. For some, Nepals might not be warm enough such as the person Natalie talked about on Orizaba (personally I think Nepals would be fine for Orizaba). I tend to run cold and Nepals have served me well in some pretty cold conditions.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:59 pm To the "experts" saying Nepals aren't a warm enough boot for Colorado mountaineering. I bought my 8000M Scarpa Phantom Double Boots for 1/4 of the price because the woman told me her Nepals sufficed on Denali and these were overkill for her. If you're going to give advice, plug in your resume at the very least (CMC Instructor)
I don't think a resume is needed for someone to tell which boot is warmer in their OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, a little bit of hiking in snow/cold should suffice. My experience: A $50 pair of Ozark Trail Arctic Shield boots that I bought at Wal-Mart were far warmer than my La Sportiva Nepal Evos (those fit a bit more snugly so maybe that's part of the reason). Again this is in my experience and believe it or not I know my own feet better than the good Captain. I did a good dozen winter 13ers, a couple winter 14ers, and a bunch of shoulder season peaks in the Arctic Shield boots.

Since you apparently need a resume for anyone corresponding about boots see my peak list. I have a very small number of summits in the Northeast a few of which are in shoulder season. Since you brought it up, are you stating that you are a CMC Instructor? Is this true, or is it like when you stated you were a guide on the Facebook group and then changed your mind when called out on it? :-"
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:59 pm If you're going to give advice, plug in your resume at the very least (CMC Instructor)
Does your resume include your Oxford adventure with SAR?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:56 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:54 pm
I don't think a resume is needed for someone to tell which boot is warmer in their OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, a little bit of hiking in snow/cold should suffice. My experience: A $50 pair of Ozark Trail Arctic Shield boots that I bought at Wal-Mart were far warmer than my La Sportiva Nepal Evos (those fit a bit more snugly so maybe that's part of the reason). Again this is in my experience and believe it or not I know my own feet better than the good Captain. I did a good dozen winter 13ers, a couple winter 14ers, and a bunch of shoulder season peaks in the Arctic Shield boots.

Since you apparently need a resume for anyone corresponding about boots see my peak list. I have a very small number of summits in the Northeast a few of which are in shoulder season. Since you brought it up, are you stating that you are a CMC Instructor? Is this true, or is it like when you stated you were a guide on the Facebook group and then changed your mind when called out on it? :-"
First off, I'm not going to argue because we have mutual friends. You're highly respected in the community and I agree with you to an extent. Second off, if you used your brain instead of getting butt-hurt right away you'd realize that I was implying the CMC instructor sold me 8000M boots after summiting Denali. It will be people like you one day I stop using the forum. I respect you, but wow you just got an ego trip

/thread
Why do you frequently use the phrases butt-hurt, dickhead, etc, when speaking to people? I am not someone is easily offended, but I can't help but notice that on a daily basis you are extremely disrespectful to numerous people on this forum with inappropriate name-calling. You are undermining opportunities to gain the respect (possible partnership) of people that you seem to desire. I don't believe we have any friends in common but if we do you must treat them better than you treat most people on this forum.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I've had nearly frozen toes in my Nepal, and also super warm. In similar temps.

Activity level, hydration, ability to flex your foot and get circulation, the layers on your legs (often overlooked!), All have a huge impact on your toes. If your foot movers y when you walk out of like a pump to move blood around. That's sometimes why full shank boots are "colder" than cheaper flexible ones. It's not the boot, it's your circulation.

These days when it's wicked cold I'll slightly overlayer my legs and then strip layers on top as needed. One, it's easy easier to change layers on top. And two, keeps my toes from freezing since my legs are toasty.