What injuries do you have?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

I'm most bothered by (can select up to four options):

Feet
18%
Knees
29%
Shoulders
11%
Back
15%
Other
14%
I am Ironman and have no lasting injuries
12%

Total votes: 139
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: What injuries do you have?

Post by TomPierce »

OK, I'll play...

Oy, where to begin? I'll skip over the various childhood/teen injuries (a couple of skull fractures, broken bones, rotator cuffs, etc.) and limit it to injuries caused during outdoor sports. In no particular order: a displaced spinal link/pad from a high speed skiing crash, compressed lower spine (rock climbing fall onto the rocky deck, ouch), cracked C6 vertebra from G*d knows what (weightlifting? life? age?), two severed bicep tendons from a twisting pull climbing Curecanti Needle. Those are some the highlights, but plenty of lesser injuries (snowblindness on Denali, frost nip of the face/fingers, several sprained ankles, etc.). The C6 issue has caused some permanent slight numbness in my left pinky, but it's matched by permanent nerve damage on the right arm, e.g. a slightly numb right thumb caused by the bicep tendon injury, which also means I have to be careful with high torque moves when climbing. All that said, really no big deal, I just have to be mindful of the injuries, e.g. I've noticed my numb digits seem to make me more susceptible to cold fingers. Eh, c'est la vie, that's why they invented mittens.

-Tom
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

never broken a bone and no injuries :D
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

If anything its my feet. I am a runner in minimalist shoes and have had little tweaker pains here and there. And when I am hiking for a long time downhill my feet can get sorta sore.

I am young and trying to use hiking poles and good fitting packs to limit damage to my knees and back which I have escaped so far.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:11 pm
mtn_nut wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:57 pm Punctured my left foot on Ellingwood point near my summit (loose rock) and had to hike all the way back down with a pretty bad wound
Hiking barefoot were you?

That seems like it wouldn't work well, for me at least. :mrgreen:
I was wearing trail runners. It actually punctured my foot just below the ankle near the achilles tendon. Only about a quarter-inch from my achilles. I was very lucky it didn't do any other damage.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

I've dislocated both shoulders at various times in my life and never sought out surgery instead focusing on lots of scapular stabilization and rotator cuff strengthen with good results. I sucked at pull-ups before these incidents and continue to be mediocre at them.

I've broken a few lumbar vertebrae in a fall where I also broke my sternum and tore the deltoid ligament in my right ankle 2 years ago this Thanksgiving. Surgery was required to fix these things. The same ankle had a previous surgery when I missed a landing on my skateboard and blew a hole the size of a quarter in my ankle and tore the ATFL and others also destroying the joint capsule.

I don't think I have these injuries but instead had them. Injuries get better and mindset plays a big role in healing. I'm back to running although very slowly, cycling, swimming, hiking, climbing. Staying positive through all of this has been a challenge and the ankle surgery is just over a year out and continues to improve.
Last edited by dpage on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Broken collarbone that probably should have had surgery (it oddly sticks up now when I shrug my shoulders) and hairline fracture in my T12 vertebra, both racing moto. Lots of concussions mixed in there as well (explains a lot).
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I had a bad fracture of my tibia and fibula in my right leg decades ago that involved:
Youth, whiskey and roller skates trying to show off.
I learned not to do that again.
Still have the plate and screws in and it does not bother me.
My new right acl will be 18 years old next February.
That took 7 months to get to where I could hike 14ers again, and it still feels great.
Brooke my pelvis skiing when I was much younger, listened to the dr. to heal correctly.
Fortunately, I have no lingering issues from that as the dr. Stated I may experience arthritis in the left hip at some point.
I have finally decided that I need to try out trekking poles as I am getting older, 60, and people state that they are wonderful for going downhill.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

quite the diverse lot of injuries here...seems consensus on the most common is knees.
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I’ve had a couple random injuries that don’t bother me anymore. Broken wrist, random twisted ankles, IT band, couple concussions (maybe those do affect me now), some meh burns, oh and I cut the tip of a finger off. The one that still gets me was when I got attacked by a dog while cycling and ended up with a compound fracture to the collarbone, small vertebrae fracture and destroyed a bunch of ligaments. It was in the middle of nowhere on a back road, I was by myself, and my phone was smashed in the incident. So I had to just lie in the road kicking the dog away waiting for a car to drive by. Took a good number of plates, screws, and ligaments from a cadaver to fix that one. It’s not terrible as long as I’m careful with it and make sure backpacks fit well. Probably the biggest deal now is being terrified of cycling outside when I used to do at least 200 miles a week. That and swimming is a bit rough, but I’ve done 2 full and at least 6 half Ironman triathlons since then.
RobC
14ers: 9  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobC »

At 25 years young here is a list of my injuries:
1. Medial plica syndrome in my right knee after an "interesting" adventure in Arches National Park.
2. Herniated disc in my lower back from improper deadlifting form.
3. Massively torn shoulder labrum. Originally torn while breaking down a door with my shoulder rather than leg/foot to help someone, further torn after weightlifting accident. 2 shoulder surgeries and 8 anchors holding my shoulder together later, I feel at least 75% back to my normal self.
4. Multiple broken bones and muscle/tendon/ligament strains.
5. Chronic exertional compartment syndrome in both of my lower legs. If anyone knows a way to help fix this other than surgery please let me know (currently trying self physical therapy). While not an injury and more of a genetic/biomechanical issue, this is the one thing really holding me back from getting into long distance running (I would like to do an ultra like Hardrock someday).

I may be only 25, but I feel more like 65 :lol:
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Knees.

There was a time when I could “Moseley” a mogul run top-to-bottom like I was sitting in a chair. When I turned 50, the wheels fell right the eff off. My surgeon said it was probably from years of skiing and packing weight during annual hunts. Both knees went south in the same year, requiring meniscus surgeries. Returning to the mountains after knee repair was a challenge and knowing that I can’t ski like the old days is tough to take.

It sucks getting old.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:11 pm
It sucks getting old.
The alternative is worse.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase