Winter gloves for scrambling

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter gloves for scrambling

Post by Wildernessjane »

Jorts wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:25 pm No such thing as an insulating glove with great dexterity. Every recommendation for an overmitt in combination with a lighter glove is spot on. Realistically you can do a lot of 3rd class with giant honking mittens on.
It’s all relative of course but I disagree. I would argue you can find decently warm gloves that have pretty good dexterity but the durability factor is what I’ve struggled with finding. Those Hestra gloves were plenty warm and scrambled well. I’ve also really liked CAMP’s Gekko Hot gloves. However, I’ve trashed both of these options. I always carry overmitts but it can be difficult to go back and forth between handling an ice axe and the rock on a sustained scramble with bulky mitts on.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Wildernessjane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Definitely some ideas I hadn’t thought of. I’ll have check out those insulated fishing gloves next.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

JQDivide wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:52 am I usually use a pair of insulated leather work gloves from any hardware store/walmart. Might add some water proofing.
But consider these a second pair of gloves and have my usual winter gloves/mittens with me.

And the fingers... Nearly every pair of gloves I own have holes in the finger tips. No way around that if you're using them.
+1
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Cycling gloves work well too I use the older version of this glove [url]https://www.specialized.com/us/en/women ... 67221-3802[/url]

My specialized glove also has a microfiber thumb so I can delicately wipe my snot. How thoughtful huh?
jscully205
14ers: 58  12  39 
13ers: 116 13 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jscully205 »

Can attest that some winter cycling gloves are surprisingly warm, durable, and have great articulation. I have a pair of Castelli gloves that I forgot the model of, but have used them scrambling mild 3rd class in the winter along with using them on Denali. They've held up great for about 5 years serving dual purpose in cycling and climbing.
Wildernessjane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Sweet! I’ve got some warm weather cycling gloves lying around. Never thought to try those out for scrambling.
blazintoes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:10 am My specialized glove also has a microfiber thumb so I can delicately wipe my snot. How thoughtful huh?
Not a small thing!
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Wildernessjane wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:45 am Sweet! I’ve got some warm weather cycling gloves lying around. Never thought to try those out for scrambling.
blazintoes wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:10 am My specialized glove also has a microfiber thumb so I can delicately wipe my snot. How thoughtful huh?
Not a small thing!
offtopic, but...

during cool temperature season, i'll wipe my nose on gloves or long-sleeves, but during the summer with short sleeves i found nose-wiping more difficult (i always get a runny nose during exercise, no matter the temperature). so i started wearing wrist bands. one for wiping sweat off my forehead, the other for wiping my nose. very important to keep track of which is which, though.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Anyone have an opinion based on experience of the Hestra Heli leather mitts vs. Alti mitts? Looks like the Heli is slightly more dexterous, compared to zero dexterity in the Alti.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Altitude High wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:18 am Anyone have an opinion based on experience of the Hestra Heli leather mitts vs. Alti mitts? Looks like the Heli is slightly more dexterous, compared to zero dexterity in the Alti.
i have both, the alti mitts are overkill for anything in the lower 48. hestra mitt is appropriate for winter in colorado and the leather is very good, i can do my ski buckles and other things like that with the mitts on
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

I have not used these for climbing but they are great for fishing in cold weather. I think these might be an option for you as you can go between climbing with fingers out and covering up when not actually climbing.
2020-12-15 11_04_30-Window.jpg
2020-12-15 11_04_30-Window.jpg (72 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VZ ... UTF8&psc=1
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JtheChemE »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:41 am
Altitude High wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:18 am Anyone have an opinion based on experience of the Hestra Heli leather mitts vs. Alti mitts? Looks like the Heli is slightly more dexterous, compared to zero dexterity in the Alti.
i have both, the alti mitts are overkill for anything in the lower 48. hestra mitt is appropriate for winter in colorado and the leather is very good, i can do my ski buckles and other things like that with the mitts on
I don't think it's accurate to categorically say the "alti mitts are overkill for anything in the lower 48". I have been out in some truly foul weather here in CO winter where anything else would have resulted in an undesirable outcome. Alti mitts are 100% always in my winter kit every outing, and have seen heavy use over the last 5 years doing winter 14ers and are still going strong.

I've also done plenty of ez third class in alti mitts. For more difficult scrambling (but not sustained) I'll just use the cheap $10 liner gloves (or no gloves for a single odd move) from costco, and when done I'll warm my hands up in mittens. For more sustained scrambling, I've put a few hard years into Hestra Heli gloves, and they have held up pretty well. For either my mitts or the heli, it is nice to have a modular system (shell + Insulator) so that I can dial the dexterity/warmth as needed in combo with a liner.

I did try the Kinco / leather ice fishing glove route, but I didn't like not having a gauntlet / wrist straps / finger loop. They also just felt way too bulky, but admittedly I did not give them a chance and break them in.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I like my north face apex gloves for fine touch, I'll carry those, plus my Hestra gloves and some hand warmers and I'm sound as a pound