Christmas Gifts for Mountaineers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers:summits58 winter2 
13ers:summits87 winter6 
Trip Reports (2)

Christmas Gifts for Mountaineers

Post by susanjoypaul » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 am

Even though I've been collecting gear for decades, it seems there's always something I don't have and could really use. This was the first year, for example, that I broke down and bought a full first aid kit. In the past, I've always built my own, but getting a premade kit added a lot of items I didn't have and may need someday.

One item I still don't have is a bivy sack. Valerie (I can't remember her username on this site) recommended this to me a few weeks ago after I broke my arm, not that I would have used it in that instance, but if I had broken my leg, for example, a bivy sack would have been a lifesaver for sure. So that's definitely going on my list, along with a new pack that's slightly smaller than my big pack but bigger than my largest daypack, to accommodate the sack.

So...what's on your list?

Oh yeah: If you order something for yourself or someone else from REI, Bent Gate, Patagonia, or Western Mountain Sports, remember to use the links at https://www.14ers.com/support.php. I always forget to do that!
randalmartin
14ers:summits55 winter1 
13ers:summits29 winter2 
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Christmas Gifts for Mountaineers

Post by randalmartin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 am

Here is a list of more obscure items some of which I already have that you might find are useful gifts for your list or for your mountaineering friends.

1] Buff - Great stocking stuffer and honestly my favorite piece of gear. Sun protection, I sleep with it pulled over my face to cover eyes/nose on cold nights. Mosquito protection in the summer around camp. A "wash cloth" for cleaning my face. Dip it in a stream to cool off while hiking. I could go on and on.

2] Dehydrator - Can be a little pricey but how awesome to make your own dehydrated meals and snacks for your backcountry trips. Also a cool way to take advantage of fruits and vegetables when they are freshest and cheapest and dehydrate for longer term storage/usage.

3] CORSAR card - Great stocking stuffer at $12 for a 5 year card to help cover cost of backcountry rescues for you or anyone in your party.

4] Personal Guided Trip to an unfamiliar area or activity - Definitely more expensive but this is pretty phenomenal way to deeply explore and immerse yourself in an area/activity that you are not familiar with. Perhaps it's canyon country in Utah, Grizzly country in Alaska, packrafting, multi-day raft trip, Class 5 climbing experience beyond your current comfort zone etc..
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 am

randalmartin wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 am
Here is a list of more obscure items some of which I already have that you might find are useful gifts for your list or for your mountaineering friends.

1] Buff - Great stocking stuffer and honestly my favorite piece of gear. Sun protection, I sleep with it pulled over my face to cover eyes/nose on cold nights. Mosquito protection in the summer around camp. A "wash cloth" for cleaning my face. Dip it in a stream to cool off while hiking. I could go on and on.

2] Dehydrator - Can be a little pricey but how awesome to make your own dehydrated meals and snacks for your backcountry trips. Also a cool way to take advantage of fruits and vegetables when they are freshest and cheapest and dehydrate for longer term storage/usage.

3] CORSAR card - Great stocking stuffer at $12 for a 5 year card to help cover cost of backcountry rescues for you or anyone in your party.

4] Personal Guided Trip to an unfamiliar area or activity - Definitely more expensive but this is pretty phenomenal way to deeply explore and immerse yourself in an area/activity that you are not familiar with. Perhaps it's canyon country in Utah, Grizzly country in Alaska, packrafting, multi-day raft trip, Class 5 climbing experience beyond your current comfort zone etc..
Awesome ideas! I love all of these.

I already have five buffs, a dehydrator, and a CORSAR card, but if anyone's looking at #4 for me, I'd just love a guided trip to climb Mount Vinson. Santa, are you listening? :-D
mickknu16
14ers:summits53 
13ers:summits24 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mickknu16 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:23 am

My Gifts for others this year:
1) Crazy Creek Chair

2) Breathable Hiking Shirts - We fly fish a lot, here's a real cool & just silly company that makes the absolute best breathable shirts to hike, recreate, & lounge in. I highly recommend even if you don't fish...
https://remedyprovisions.com/collections/solar-shirts

Stocking stuffers:
3) GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker

4) Goal Zero Flip 24 Battery

I have all these items and swear by them!

My List:
1) Glacier Glasses - I've been using GoodRs w/ wide lenses, but my eyes have been getting roasted all season long. Time to step it up.
2) New GoPro
3) a new softshell Fleece (ALOT of sold out stuff right now it seems from the models I want ](*,) )

I've saved so much $$$ not going out over the last year... It's been tough, so a good year to treat yourself & others!
"Your mind is the mountain before you, you've reached the summit now transcend the skies."
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:47 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 am
I'd just love a guided trip to climb Mount Vinson. Santa, are you listening? :-D
New ford bronco or a a Vinson trip? What's it going to be?
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Conor wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:47 am
susanjoypaul wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 am
I'd just love a guided trip to climb Mount Vinson. Santa, are you listening? :-D
New ford bronco or a a Vinson trip? What's it going to be?
Good question. They both cost about the same.
HikerGuy
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits192 winter8 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by HikerGuy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Santa is bringing me a weather meter, https://kestrelmeters.com/products/kest ... ther-meter. I was going to get just a wind and temperature meter, but since I'm a weather geek and I was so good this past year, I went for one with more bells and whistles.
RETEP 1
14ers:summits56 
13ers:summits17 

Post by RETEP 1 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Santa came early today and brought me a couple new sleds. While I’ll probably use them mostly in the Grand county area, I can’t help but daydream about riding them up some of my favorite approaches....