Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers:summits58 winter12 
13ers:summits43 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Warmest but comfortable and long-distance boots

Post by CaptCO » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:48 am

Honestly though, if you're not needing crampons or go out below 10* weather the Salos will do just fine. They make some of the comfiest footwear in this niche. They're $180-200 so not expensive whatsoever for a Winter boot. Like Jane said, use one pair for hiking, and another for technical trips (phantom). Do you have a rough schedule/agenda of plans for the Winter?
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool
Wildernessjane
14ers:summits58 ski9 winter41 
13ers:summits221 ski14 winter16 

Post by Wildernessjane » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:55 am

Plugugly wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:46 am
CaptCO wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:32 am
Plugugly wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 am

Ok Conor, Sarah and the Capt, Toundras or Phantom 6000s?
Cubes.. Toundras for most winter 14er hiking people will do on here. Phantoms for pons & showing these morons you can do more than they think (excluding Jane she's awesome) Give me another season and I'll know what to recommend
Jane?
I absolutely love my Nepals (Cubes) and I’ve spent 20+ hours in them quite comfortably (admittedly you won’t find a lot of people saying that about mountaineering boots in general though, it’s all relative). People will tell you they are overkill for Colorado 14ers in winter and that is true in a lot of cases but you already have the Oboz for mellower outings. The Nepals would do everything you had on your original list (e.g., steep snow, ice) but the only problem is they are not going to be any warmer than the Oboz (I’m assuming you have insulated Bridger 10” B-Dry version?). I find the Phantoms to be very clunky and heavy but they would be a great investment if you want to get into bigger mountains outside of the continental US. So, I would say it depends on your long term goals...
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 am

Wildernessjane wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:55 am
Plugugly wrote:
CaptCO wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:32 am

Cubes.. Toundras for most winter 14er hiking people will do on here. Phantoms for pons & showing these morons you can do more than they think (excluding Jane she's awesome) Give me another season and I'll know what to recommend
Jane?
I absolutely love my Nepals (Cubes) and I’ve spent 20+ hours in them quite comfortably (admittedly you won’t find a lot of people saying that about mountaineering boots in general though, it’s all relative). People will tell you they are overkill for Colorado 14ers in winter and that is true in a lot of cases but you already have the Oboz for mellower outings. The Nepals would do everything you had on your original list (e.g., steep snow, ice) but the only problem is they are not going to be any warmer than the Oboz (I’m assuming you have insulated Bridger 10” B-Dry version?). I find the Phantoms to be very clunky and heavy but they would be a great investment if you want to get into bigger mountains outside of the continental US. So, I would say it depends on your long term goals...
yeah, let's back up...are we talking about the bridger or the bridger insulated? And were the feet wet or dry when this "cold" event happened?

I can spend all day in my cubes as well. I'll wear them for a night out on the town. But, I will always be faster in something like an insulated bridger than I will in cubes (1 lb / boot lighter, less stiff boot).
Plugugly
14ers: List not added

Post by Plugugly » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:46 am

Conor wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 am
Wildernessjane wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:55 am
Plugugly wrote:

Jane?
yeah, let's back up...are we talking about the bridger or the bridger insulated? And were the feet wet or dry when this "cold" event happened?

I can spend all day in my cubes as well. I'll wear them for a night out on the town. But, I will always be faster in something like an insulated bridger than I will in cubes (1 lb / boot lighter, less stiff boot).
NOT insulated! Feet were dry. Toundras don't come in 14 (apparently--waiting for their reply). Looking at the 10" bridger bdry insulated just found in my size. Thanks again.
Rudy can't fail.
stephakett
14ers:summits28 
13ers:summits34 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by stephakett » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:49 am

i own the Columbia version of the Toundra- the Canuk, which i believe is now the Powderhouse. my feet have never gotten cold or wet, they're comfort rated to -65*, completely waterproof, work well with spikes and snowshoes.. but they do take a few miles break in period to loosen up in the ankle.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-powderh ... 010&pos=28

background: non-technical climber, usually use these with snowshoes
Last edited by stephakett on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” (Aldous Huxley)
Conor
14ers:summits41 ski6 winter6 
13ers:summits41 ski1 winter1 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 am

IF I were to buy insulated boots, I would get the keen revel Iv. only because I get 50% off. Check deals that may be available to you through outlets like AAC, CMC etc.
HikerGuy
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits192 winter8 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by HikerGuy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:56 am

Wildernessjane wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:11 am
I really, really like the Oboz Bridger insulated B-Dry boots and I’ve never had cold feet in them.
Same. Great boots.
Wildernessjane
14ers:summits58 ski9 winter41 
13ers:summits221 ski14 winter16 

Post by Wildernessjane » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:57 pm

HikerGuy wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:56 am
Wildernessjane wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:11 am
I really, really like the Oboz Bridger insulated B-Dry boots and I’ve never had cold feet in them.
Same. Great boots.
According to this review, the Bridgers are even warmer than the Toundras (which is interesting because they are not nearly as bulky and I’ve taken the Toundras out in some pretty dang cold conditions)... https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... -insulated
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Eli Watson
14ers:summits58 winter5 
13ers:summits34 winter1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:35 pm

+1 for Oboz 10" Bridger 400 g insulated.

They are my default winter/spring snow boots. In addition to your average winter ridge walk, they have worked well in my universal attachment crampons up Angel of Shavano, Holy Cross Couloir, Missouri N Face Couloir, Little Bear in April 2019, and Sneffels in May 2019. The pseudo heel welt keeps things in place. The only time I have been less than impressed at their waterproofing was when I spent 16+ hours in wet, wet spring snow up La Plata + Elbert & Co. last May, but I was due to reapply some DWR by then (2 years old).
Crestone Centennial Circuit: Part I & Part II
CaptainSuburbia
14ers:summits58 winter31 
13ers:summits94 winter17 
Trip Reports (28)

Post by CaptainSuburbia » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:58 pm

I recently started using Toasty Feet insoles which seem to help. Also, I think wearing gaiters help keep feet warm too.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Plugugly
14ers: List not added

Post by Plugugly » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks, everyone. At this time I'm going with the Bridger 10" 400g.
Rudy can't fail.
elcap5
14ers:summits53 winter1 
13ers:summits6 

Post by elcap5 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Just FYI, the Bridger 10" is also one of the few insulated winter boots available in a "wide" EE size. Great for those with Sasquatch size feet, super comfortable.