Avy concerns: Unusually dangerous conditions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Avy concerns: Unusually dangerous conditions

Post by Conor »

daway8 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:42 pm
Vincopotamus wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:12 pm
Conor wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:18 pm

It was a gift from my professors, one of which at the time was the senate majority leader for the state of colorado. For an engineering only college, it was quite the oddball gift to give students who generally hated writing. Fortunately, it never got tossed and I picked it up many years later. Of course, the book is titled The elements of style. I'm sure grammar is somehow intertwined in there, but never really my interest. I always remembered the dollar word/penny word thing. Less so for style, more as I don't like coming off as a sesquipedalian. How's that for "comedic genius?" Can I get another +10?
FWIW, I went to college and now make a living swinging something called a pulaski. I've taken a few avalanche awareness courses over the years and still had to google "heuristic traps," but I also had to google "Strunk & White" and definitely "sesquipedalian." I wish everyone well on their PhD theses*.

*I also had to google the plural of thesis
Well at least there hasn't been any thread drift on this PSA... :)
Maybe if there was an actual original point to the psa, there wouldn't be thread drift.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Conor wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:50 pm
daway8 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:42 pm Well at least there hasn't been any thread drift on this PSA... :)
Maybe if there was an actual original point to the psa, there wouldn't be thread drift.
Oh ok, I guess trying to save a few lives by making sure everyone saw an announcement that the typical unstable Colorado snowpack is even more unstable than usual this year (the most unstable since 2012) isn't really a point worth making.

Oh well, my bad - on with the drift. Shall we talk about proper peeing techniques now? No wait, that's on one of the other drifting threads...
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:11 pm Let’s all be safe and deal with the bulls**t of a failing government together
"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." -Twain
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

CAIC map blinking red for southern CO Tues 12/29 AM.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:55 pm
CaptCO wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:11 pm Let’s all be safe and deal with the bulls**t of a failing government together
"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." -Twain
:-D :-D :-D Does anyone have a copy of that new forum thread CaptCO developed in which he gravely asked to be removed from 14'ers.com? That was the Best of 2020!
Rudy can't fail.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

pvnisher wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:55 pm "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." -Twain
babayaga.jpg
babayaga.jpg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

We watched sections of John Wick during a recent CQB recert and it's pretty legit pistolwork. The one-handed brass checks, various reloads, it's a masterpiece.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

pvnisher wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:49 pm it's a masterpiece.
The only thing that could possible make him better is Arc'teryx logo... On the tie.
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Not sure if this has been posted already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6dEBgr ... e=youtu.be
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

Altitude High wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 pm Not sure if this has been posted already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6dEBgr ... e=youtu.be
So technically they are doing parkour, as long as point A is delusion and point B is the morgue?