Hydration: Camelback 3L vs Osprey 3L

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Hydration: Camelback 3L vs Osprey 3L

Post by seano »

I have an Osprey 2.5 LT, and it sucks. First bladder I've owned where I've bitten through the bite valve. Fortunately Osprey has a lifetime warranty, so I've been able to replace every single part, some of them multiple times, for free. It's made by HydraPak, as are many other bladders on the market, unfortunately.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:15 am
brichardsson wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:46 am i must be the only old fart that skips bladders completely because they weigh too much and are too much of a pain in the arse to clean.
An empty Hydrapak bladder doesn't weigh much at all. 5.4 oz for a 3L bladder is little more than equivalent water bottles.

As for cleaning if all they are used for is water they don't really require cleaning. Frankly cant recall the last time I cleaned one and I'm still alive.
an empty 1l bottle weighs 1 oz. so i can do 1 or 2 for short trips, and with a bladder i can't "downsize". so 1oz vs 5.4 oz is a significant different. many of my hikes have water sources on route, so i always try to pack as light as possible.

as i have gotten older, every little bit of weigh savings counts, because they all add up. i routinely compare pack weights on trips, and i normally run 5 - 15 pounds below most participants. four ounces here and six ounces there add up across an entire pack.
ksroqclimber
14ers: 39 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ksroqclimber »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:15 am also the insulated sleeve doesn’t work well.
Cap what about that didn't work well? I haven't used insulation before, but without it, I have definitely had to battle frozen water in the valve regularly. Looking for something that could minimize that a bit.

Obviously a bunch of different opinions here regarding all the options. That is good cause it means there likely isn't going to be a gigantic difference with any of them. That it's mostly personal preference. With one caveat: I am a much more efficient hiker with a bladder vs bottles. Weight isn't a terrible concern to me though I say that in moderation. I typically carry 4 liters. 2 in bladder and 2 backup/refills liter bottles. A 3L bladder would mean one less item by volume in the backpack since the bladder lives in it's own compartment.

I suppose at $40-70 price point it wouldn't be terrible if I ended up with a model that didn't work for me and had to buy a different one.

I hadn't really considered the other brands but really no reason not to. Thanks for the feedback.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

the Mazama 2L Axe and the 3L Dual Res are my favorite bladders on the market. i keep a 3L reservoir with a quik stream kit in the back of my 4runner, i've used their products on almost every hike or bike for the last 6-7 years, and will be using the 2L Axe on the CT this summer because it's super easy to fill- the handle on the front is a few extra ounces but the convenience is worth the extra weight to me.

their customer service is incredible, their product is very durable, and the accessories are brilliant. i'll be happy to go into detail, but don't want to sound like a walking advertisement.

if anyone is interested, there is a 20% discount code for Mazama in my instagram bio (@coloradhiker_andarchertoo)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis