Poll: Do you hike the Incline?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do you hike the Manitou Incline? What's your time (from bottom to top step)?

5+ a week
2%
1-2 a week
7%
1-2 a month
3%
Handful times a year
32%
sub-30 minutes
10%
30-35 minutes
11%
36-40 minutes
14%
41-45 minutes
5%
46-50 minutes
4%
51-59 minutes
7%
1hr +
4%

Total votes: 91
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Poll: Do you hike the Incline?

Post by 12ersRule »

madbuck wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 am
stephakett wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:55 am
madbuck wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm
I didn't like it 'on paper' either because of the gaperdom as well: 2-3 people across, Texas tourists, self-absorbed crossfitters, and headphones, so many headphones.
who dropped their airpods in your wheaties..? "people wearing headphones" is a really bizarre complaint.
It is. Grumpy old man!
I mean, like, a few steps up, then gasping, right in the middle of the trail, oblivious to anyone else. Or maybe even more, coming down Barr. When you look up and see a stream of hundreds of people, to me it seems like you want to stay to the edge and aware of other people around you.

But maybe we could add "Grumpy, Entitled Old Men" to the list, and you wouldn't be wrong!

Today, 70% of these people would be wearing headphones. 20% speakers.
NoHeadphonesAllowed.PNG
NoHeadphonesAllowed.PNG (373.89 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

12ersRule wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:14 am Today, 70% of these people would be wearing headphones. 20% speakers.

NoHeadphonesAllowed.PNG
Sweet Dick Willie: [Radio Raheem walks past blasting Public Enemy on his boombox] Goddamn! Turn that sh%# off; play some Bobby Blue Bland.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

headsizeburrito wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:30 pm That's definitely on my list ( would be a much shorter drive than the Incline too!) but I'm a noob and have been told to stay away without decent climbing experience: https://old.reddit.com/r/trailrunning/c ... get_great/

What's your opinion on Freeway (are there other "easy" routes?) for beginners? Although I've seen your 20 laps video so maybe your perception is different...
I wouldn't go for your first time without someone to guide you (although that's what I did...) as Freeway is a big scene for accidents (and some fatalities). I have done it more than a few times, now so for me it's all just reflexive muscle memory. It's such excellent training for the harder 14ers though. If people get the shake from the Homestretch, just remember there's Homestretch-like pieces of rock all over Boulder.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

headsizeburrito wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:30 pm That's definitely on my list ( would be a much shorter drive than the Incline too!) but I'm a noob and have been told to stay away without decent climbing experience: https://old.reddit.com/r/trailrunning/c ... get_great/

What's your opinion on Freeway (are there other "easy" routes?) for beginners? Although I've seen your 20 laps video so maybe your perception is different...
I recommend trying to climb up on the Royal Arch as a good first Flatirons climb. If that doesn't phase you then maybe go on to the Freeway once you've researched where to get on/off.

I'm still fairly new to the Flatirons (maybe half dozen trips) but I put together a quick guide in the form of a trip report to use for my own reference. Might be helpful for others just getting started there as well. https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... m=tripmine
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Simon Testa's guidebook is a great vetted resource for easier Flatiron routes from someone with ample experience on those routes.

Some ideas:
-Freeway (starting on the right side of the east face)
-Royal Arch E Face
-First Flatironette to Spy and First N Ridge.
-Third Flatiron standard route (not including downclimb).
-Slab via the right side diagonal routes
-Angel's Way (slightly easier than Stairway to Heaven)
-Sunnyside II on Der Zerkel
-Front Porch via Tiptoe area
-Regency
-Hammerhead, possibly skipping the yodeling moves backside

Most people wind up repeating these and other routes often such that it seems mentally like enjoyable cardio rather than consequential scrambling. A lap up the First Flatiron is so much more fun than a lap up Morrison with roughly similar vert/mileage. Flatiron scrambling is unique in that scrambling often requires a good exposure head, feeling for shoe friction, and micro route-finding rather than actual climbing. One can also combine local trails up to the various summits. This makes for good cardio.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Thanks for the Flatiron suggests all, now to get the thread a little back on topic from my derailing...

Had an excellent first time on the Manitou Incline today. Perfect weather and easy conditions, nice view of Pikes (where I went last week) in the distance. Mostly snow covered in the morning, about half melted away by the afternoon with patches of packed snow. Fair bit of ice on the Barr Trail, some slush by the end of the day that will refreeze into more chunky ice and repeat the process. I wore exospikes all day. The check in booth was staffed today when I arrived at 7am, which apparently isn't always the case. No wristbands issued, despite what the website says. I wonder if they plan on doing that in the summer or just gave up on that idea and didn't update the website?

Not too crowded today, encountered maybe 10-15 people on the stairs per lap. Saw a couple locals on first name basis with the check in person, clearly there are plenty of regulars. On one lap there was a couple waiting at the top with balloons cheering on two people coming up, kind of cute to see. Took Barr Trail down each time because I'm trying to follow the rules and I'd rather run the trail down than the stairs anyway. Most people seemed to be going back down the stairs, so obviously the rule isn't enforced/followed. After I finished I hit up Alfonso's in Colorado Springs and succeeded in getting a very large burrito this time (the "Don Poncho," $19), thanks again to member Monte Meals for the rec based on my username! Clearly not designed to be eaten by hand in the car but I made quite a mess trying anyway and finished about a third of it. Ate another third at home and will save the rest for tomorrow...
Attachments
manitoustats.jpg
manitoustats.jpg (145.15 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
inline02.jpg
inline02.jpg (139.08 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
inline01.jpg
inline01.jpg (216.62 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

headsizeburrito wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:15 pm Thanks for the Flatiron suggests all, now to get the thread a little back on topic from my derailing...

Had an excellent first time on the Manitou Incline today. Perfect weather and easy conditions, nice view of Pikes (where I went last week) in the distance. Mostly snow covered in the morning, about half melted away by the afternoon with patches of packed snow. Fair bit of ice on the Barr Trail, some slush by the end of the day that will refreeze into more chunky ice and repeat the process. I wore exospikes all day. The check in booth was staffed today when I arrived at 7am, which apparently isn't always the case. No wristbands issued, despite what the website says. I wonder if they plan on doing that in the summer or just gave up on that idea and didn't update the website?

Not too crowded today, encountered maybe 10-15 people on the stairs per lap. Saw a couple locals on first name basis with the check in person, clearly there are plenty of regulars. On one lap there was a couple waiting at the top with balloons cheering on two people coming up, kind of cute to see. Took Barr Trail down each time because I'm trying to follow the rules and I'd rather run the trail down than the stairs anyway. Most people seemed to be going back down the stairs, so obviously the rule isn't enforced/followed. After I finished I hit up Alfonso's in Colorado Springs and succeeded in getting a very large burrito this time (the "Don Poncho," $19), thanks again to member Monte Meals for the rec based on my username! Clearly not designed to be eaten by hand in the car but I made quite a mess trying anyway and finished about a third of it. Ate another third at home and will save the rest for tomorrow...
Usually, this time of year before 8 AM it's mostly "regulars" getting their workout in. After 8 AM the rest of the front range begins to show up. The tourist numbers begin to show back up in March...
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

jrs1965 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:30 am The tourist numbers begin to show back up in March...
And weekends, in particular when it's nice out.

Burrito-boy, nice job on 5 laps!
As for no attendants earlier this week, on Tuesday they were told to stay home due to the conditions. Wednesday they were just a little late.

And the morning weekday scene is usually the regulars and many are on first name basis and full of encouragement for others making their ascents. It is a nice 'scene' if you will, and it's what makes it a little more special to see incline friends when I'm up there!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I mean, that's a pretty big burrito.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Maybe it's just a really small water bottle.
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

I've always wanted to climb up the incline. But due to Covid it was closed and I wasn't able too last summer. The damn thing opened two days after I had to leave. On the list for this years trip if they keep it open.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

bking14ers wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:41 pm I've always wanted to climb up the incline. But due to Covid it was closed and I wasn't able too last summer. The damn thing opened two days after I had to leave. On the list for this years trip if they keep it open.
You could have still gone. The Covid closure was kinda bs last year. Manitou Springs, which actually has zero ownership of the Incline past the bottom step had "proclaimed" it closed on what they called a disaster resolution, not an ordinance or law. Of all things, the disaster resolution was based on their claim people had been pooping on the Incline. I've been on the incline for over a decade now, only seen dog turds. Regardless, it kept the numbers down which is what they were after. I was still doing the Incline weekly up until when the Pikes Peak Ascent was cancelled in May. My training and motivation stopped after that...