Poll: Do you hike the Incline?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Do you hike the Manitou Incline? What's your time (from bottom to top step)?

5+ a week
2%
1-2 a week
7%
1-2 a month
3%
Handful times a year
32%
sub-30 minutes
10%
30-35 minutes
11%
36-40 minutes
14%
41-45 minutes
5%
46-50 minutes
4%
51-59 minutes
7%
1hr +
4%

Total votes: 91
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Poll: Do you hike the Incline?

Post by madbuck »

lordhelmut wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:26 pm Last time I did the Barr Trail, the parking situation gave me a mild brain aneurism and then at the end of the day, I got cut off by a large group coming off the incline and had to take aggressive manuevers to get around them, most of which was met with hostility. I haven't been back since, which is a shame, cause I love that area despite the gaperdom.
I didn't like it 'on paper' either because of the gaperdom as well: 2-3 people across, Texas tourists, self-absorbed crossfitters, and headphones, so many headphones.

Then for a few years, this time of year, there was a solid Fatass run down in the Springs, we'd go up the Red Mtn, Incline to Rocky Mtn, Waldo (before the fire) and Garden, man I miss that run. It was fun running with a gang in January when it wasn't too crowded and it was just part of the day. I did it a half dozen or so other times, either just visiting town and doing a sunrise workout, running with a friend, heading up Pikes, or hiking with the family. And then I'd enjoy chatting with a local like a Stapanowich or a Zach or a Seth, and old people that knew everyone, and you can see how there's a culture. But I also did enjoy seeing others that were doing something personally challenging for them, working hard, without doing any of the disrespectful things that would have set me in a bad mood.

It probably also sucks more now with masks and distancing, and I wouldn't want to hit in late morning or later on a summer weekday. And I would only park for free and jog through town.
I guess it can be as good or annoying as you make it!
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

madbuck wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm and headphones, so many headphones.
Better than speakers?
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I need to do it someday, but the crowds and reservations make it less appealing. Although you can see Olympians train on it. At least it looks like a consistent grade with no gravel for something that steep, unlike Morrison. The Boulder trails like Fern Canyon are another good training line.

For the Inclinathon and 24 Hours of Towers, you have to drink a beer between each lap.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

headsizeburrito wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 pm
Better than speakers?
Good God, so much better.

If I lived close by I bet I'd do the incline all the time. The 1.5 hr drive means I only did it once just to say I've done it. I like stairs a lot though, give me elevation gain over mileage any day. Views leave something to be desired, and the Barr trail isn't a fun or intersting descent.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

If I was close to it, I would probably do it quit often.
But 200 plus miles away is a little to far.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

headsizeburrito wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 pm
Better than speakers?
Ha ha, that's getting even worse, isn't it?
jimwei
14ers: 21 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jimwei »

headsizeburrito wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:27 pm
Planning on doing a few laps to make the trip worthwhile. It looks like there is a connector trail between the Barr lot and the start of the Incline for laps, correct? Just refill water from the bathroom at the Barr lot, or is there another option? Any other logistics advice from the experts?

According to the website the Incline is only open 6am-3pm, so much for future 24 hour record attempts I guess... Not to mention it says to descend via Barr Trail rather than going back down the Incline. Makes sense from a safety standpoint when it's crowded, but probably also impacts comparison to previous records that presumably went both up and down the stairs.
There is a short connector from the bottom of the Incline to Barr TH. Not sure if the bathroom at Barr TH is open these days. A lot city park bathrooms are closed in the winter.

No one is there to check people in after 3 PM. I only do the Incline in the winter after work, less people to deal with.
WildWanderer
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 491 13
Trip Reports (343)

Post by WildWanderer »

[/quote]

No one is there to check people in after 3 PM. I only do the Incline in the winter after work, less people to deal with.
[/quote]

No one is there to check you in before 6am either. I often see police vehicles stationed at the Barr Lot between the hours of 2am-6am (not sure if that matters or not).
It's a mountain: get over it.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

jimwei wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:39 am Not sure if the bathroom at Barr TH is open these days. A lot city park bathrooms are closed in the winter.
I did Pikes from Barr on Jan 21 and the bathroom was open then at least.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

The Incline is twenty minutes from my house. I've been doing the Incline pretty regularly for the last 10 years now. My Incline this last Saturday was ascent number 512. Great workout, mental stress reliever, builds muscles and endurance. I always come down the front side of the Incline because that builds different muscles. My PR is 34 flat. Not bad for 55. I'm always training for the PPA, and now Dead Horse Ultra this year so the Incline, up Barr Trail, and in the summer running 3-2-1's from Pikes summit is my routine. An excellent routine for me. It can be a SS with crowds but I try and avoid that as much as possible. The way I see it, crowds are an issue almost anywhere in the state and they're not going away, ever. Enjoy the mountains while you can. Parking is also a SS. I've had a "season pass" for parking for the last five years from the Iron Springs Chateau. However, the Chateau has decided to no longer sell their season passes during the peak season. Also, as a hobby photographer it's a favorite spot to shoot. Overall, I love having it available and I'm 100% certain that I'm physically, and mentally in much better shape for it being here...
Incline Sunrise.jpg
Incline Sunrise.jpg (222 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
Incline Inversion.jpg
Incline Inversion.jpg (134.79 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
Night Incline.jpg
Night Incline.jpg (197.98 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

^ Nice photos! I have several like those, except the nightscape city lights.

Totally agree on the mental health from doing the incline too.
Chateau parking....I have heard the Broadmoor might have their hands on that soon.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

d_baker wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:37 pm ^ Nice photos! I have several like those, except the nightscape city lights.

Totally agree on the mental health from doing the incline too.
Chateau parking....I have heard the Broadmoor might have their hands on that soon.
Ugh, I know Brian at the Chateau would sell in a heartbeat if the Broadmoor met his price requirement. I've not talked to Brian in a while though since he's been snow-birding in his rv recently...

Edit: Brian had mentioned that he might sign a contract with the Broadmoor to park cog train passengers in the summer. That new cog train is really going to increase the number of daily passengers.