In the bowels of my dungeon.

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: In the bowels of my dungeon.

Post by highpilgrim »

greenonion wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:28 am I have a pair of 57 year old legs I could let go.
My mom has an old wheelchair in her basement you can have, old man. Then you can hold on to the legs.

It's a pretty sporty-looking model. I can paint a racing stripe on it so you feel young again.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:37 am If you do end up finding room for the crashpad, I'd love to take it!
If no one wants to pay for shipping, I'll let you have it if I go west.

IJTF willing.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Sir Derkase the Deuce, you're working on some good karma points. ;)
I should do the same with some of my gear since it sits in storage... #-o :lol:
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:39 am
greenonion wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:28 am I have a pair of 57 year old legs I could let go.
My mom has an old wheelchair in her basement you can have, old man. Then you can hold on to the legs.

It's a pretty sporty-looking model. I can paint a racing stripe on it so you feel young again.
Add two large Go Daddy stickers (along with that racing stripe) and we’re in business.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:26 am
OldTrad wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:21 am How old is the nylon? (It has a shelf life whether exposed to light or not)
7 or 8, as I recall.
That’s approaching the limit to where it will start losing strength, at least as far as my understanding goes. Throughout my life when I have been climbing a lot I replace all nylon, ropes, slings, everything pretty frequently (e.g., a max life of 5 years). If I’m using a lead rope a lot I would likely replace it at around 2 seasons. Of course if you notice obvious wear on anything then replace it sooner. Todd Skinner died because the tie-in loop on his harness broke -nobody should forget that.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

d_baker wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:39 am I should do the same with some of my gear since it sits in storage...
That's really the point of the thread; we all have that stuff in our house, basement, garage, shed, truck, car, hallway closet, cedar chest. It's EVERYWHERE.

I have a wooden ice axe in Ricky's house that he's given me three times, but it never moves out of his pile and into mine. :lol:
OldTrad wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:48 am That’s approaching the limit to where it will start losing strength, at least as far as my understanding goes.
Angry will have seen your concern and can use them as she feels comfortable. Thanks for the warning. :wink:
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Hey Pilgrim, I would take some of those climbing holds off your hands, (pun intended).
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Bale wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:20 pm Hey Pilgram, I would take some of those climbing holds off your hands, (pun intended).
RE slings, there’s a YouTube dude who tests old climbing gear to failure. I was surprised how strong 30 year old quick draws are, some tested full strength! Obviously many caveats with nylon and climbing gear.
Yeah, I think I know the dude you're talking about, his site's title was sort of off base but he does some really interesting testing. Debunks some accepted wisdom for climbing anchors. I recall watching a segment about the idea of shock loading on anchors, e.g. an equalized 2 or 3 piece belay anchor, with sudden failure of a piece. My recollection was the shock load didn't come remotely close to the max Kn of the sling. He also did a segment about anchor/bolt failure, also interesting. It's been some time since I watched that segment on shock loading, and try as I might I couldn't really significantly fault his methodology.

As for the aging of climbing soft goods, I'm in the "it depends" camp: I'd want to know about exposure to sunlight, the fall history, etc. But yeah, as described by Pilgrim sounds like these were well stored. And geez...do the manufacturers have a vested interest in selling more gear by lowering the expiration dates? :shock: Say it ain't so!

-Tom
Last edited by TomPierce on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Bale wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:20 pm Hey Pilgrim, I would take some of those climbing holds off your hands, (pun intended).
Sorry Bale, someone beat you to the punch. I'm updating the original post with red highlight behind the listing when someone grabs them.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

highpilgrim wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:34 pm
Bale wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:20 pm Hey Pilgrim, I would take some of those climbing holds off your hands, (pun intended).
Sorry Bale, someone beat you to the punch. I'm updating the original post with red highlight behind the listing when someone grabs them.
No worries, good thread anyway dungeon master;)
Tom, I edited my post in an effort to not derail the thread, lol. Anyway, IMO like 90 percent of the battle is knowing the history of the gear, and it sounds like Angry and Pilgrim know each other’s history. I tend to err on the safe side like OldTrad, especially with ropes, although some of my Blue Water slings are going on 20 years :shock:
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Bale wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:37 pm Tom, I edited my post in an effort to not derail the thread, lol. Anyway, IMO like 90 percent of the battle is knowing the history of the gear, and it sounds like Angry and Pilgrim know each other’s history. I tend to err on the safe side like OldTrad, especially with ropes, although some of my Blue Water slings are going on 20 years :shock:
Pilgrim lives in Missery. That's pretty much all you need to know about his gear! :lol:
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

12ersRule wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:03 pm Pilgrim lives in Missery. That's pretty much all you need to know about his gear!
I wear out hiking boots and camping supplies faster than you do, halfdeuce...

Climbing gear, not so much.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase