Crampons on Oboz Bridger

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Crampons on Oboz Bridger

Post by Plugugly »

Ok, I know this has basically been covered elsewhere but: are there good 12-point crampons that can be used on the Bridger? Is the Bridger (B-Dry) stiff enough for any real crampons?
Rudy can't fail.
JtheChemE
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Crampons on Oboz Bridger

Post by JtheChemE »

One of my regular partners uses bugaboots with crampons, I imagine that the Oboz would have similar results. You can put a strap crampon on almost anything.
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Can you do it? Sure. But why are you doing it? If you're looking at <=40 degree snow and want more traction than spikes, then yeah, go for it. It's not ideal, but it can work. If you're going for steep snow or ice, then you really should be using a boot that won't pop the crampon off, or break it.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I use the Grivel Air Tech New-classic (full strap on) on my Bridger snow boots. They work great. Depending on your boot size, you may have to buy the longer flat bars. https://grivel.com/products/air-tech?va ... 0202574883
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

Ahright, thanks all of you. Just what I wanted to know. I'm gonna go with "no," because the Grivel doesn't come in my size (14) but mostly because, yes, I am going for steep ice and snow.
Rudy can't fail.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

CaptCO wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:42 pm Glacier/AL style are ideal, but won’t last long on rock. Yes the strap on will work until you can afford to upgrade, as has been said.
What is Glacier/AL style?
Rudy can't fail.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Plugugly wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:20 am
CaptCO wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:42 pm Glacier/AL style are ideal, but won’t last long on rock. Yes the strap on will work until you can afford to upgrade, as has been said.
I assumed he was referring to aluminum crampons judging from his comment on them not lasting long if on rock a lot.
Glacier/AL means I have no idea though!
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

d_baker wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 am
Plugugly wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:20 am
I assumed he was referring to aluminum crampons judging from his comment on them not lasting long if on rock a lot.
Glacier/AL means I have no idea though!
That makes sense, thanks. Looks like I'm down for the $$$$. And it's hard to find euro size 48 mountaineerig boots.
Rudy can't fail.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I can fit the Black Diamond Contact crampons on my Oboz Bridgers. They are steel crampons so they’re fine on rock. As others have said it wouldn’t be an ideal setup for steep couloirs but it’s fine for shorter distances or mellow snow climbs. Black Diamond does also have an aluminum version.

https://www.rei.com/product/798354/blac ... abs-plates

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/e ... -crampons/
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

That makes sense, thanks. Looks like I'm down for the $$$$. And it's hard to find euro size 48 mountaineerig boots.
[/quote]

La Sportiva and Scarpa carry size 48 mountaineering boots.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Plugugly wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:44 pm Ahright, thanks all of you. Just what I wanted to know. I'm gonna go with "no," because the Grivel doesn't come in my size (14) but mostly because, yes, I am going for steep ice and snow.
You can buy the Grivel long flex bars online or at REI. They allow most of the crampons to fit size 14 boots. If they still don't fit, minor surgery on your boots will do the trick.
Plugugly
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Plugugly »

:-D
spiderman wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:06 pm
Plugugly wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:44 pm Ahright, thanks all of you. Just what I wanted to know. I'm gonna go with "no," because the Grivel doesn't come in my size (14) but mostly because, yes, I am going for steep ice and snow.
You can buy the Grivel long flex bars online or at REI. They allow most of the crampons to fit size 14 boots. If they still don't fit, minor surgery on your boots will do the trick.
:o
Rudy can't fail.