Clear creek ice climbs top rope

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Canadian_bass
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Clear creek ice climbs top rope

Post by Canadian_bass »

I searched the forum here and checked mountain project and didn't see the details I was looking for so:

Are there pretty obvious walk arounds to set up top ropes for ice climbing in clear creek canyon?

The pages I've seen on mountain project detail the presence of bolts, etc to setup an anchor, however I didn't see anything about walking left or right of the climb or if its sketchy, hard to find, etc as these things can be sometimes.

I have never been to the area and am on a tight timeline to enjoy some ice climbing. If anyone has any experience to share, many thanks!
Agstrohmeier
14ers: 15  6 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Clear creek ice climbs top rope

Post by Agstrohmeier »

Last time I climbed mickey's it was a scramble up the rocks on lookers right, and there were some bolts on the left side of the creek. We extended the anchor a pretty good distance.

I haven't seen any of the toprope climbs in yet this year, the hidden falls one is in but I think you have to lead that one. Haven't driven through in a few weeks though.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Clear creek ice climbs top rope

Post by JB99 »

if I remember right you can climb up to the left pretty easily. it's a scramble but not terribly difficult.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."