COVID recovery

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: COVID recovery

Post by ker0uac »

Also, the emotional distress caused by being constantly fed information about the virus can itself trigger psychosomatic symptoms that emulate those that you were told are from covid. Since March, whenever anyone wakes up feeling a little off, the first thought that comes to mind: "Oh s**t, I caught covid", as if prior to covid, our bodies were bulletproof. I went on a 13mile/5000ft hike on Saturday then biked for 22 miles yesterday. I am feeling some body aches today and feeling tired. Oh s**t, maybe it's from the LT consequences of the virus, or maybe I am just tired bc I made myself tired and I am about to hit my 40s and I have been deprived of a normal life for the last 12 months?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CaptCO wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:32 pm
ltlFish99 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:58 pm I have known a few people who had it.
One reports some lingering fatigue after exercise, etc. One is still mildly I'll, but also has other health issues.
Fortunately I have not had it.
For reasons I will not boor people with, I am a hand washing freak. I am not quite OCD about it as I once was, but still very diligent. I have not dined at a restaurant in a long time, only takeout for quite a while.
I do attend indoor meetings about 3 times a week, but we all, always utilize masks and stay away from each other. We also cap the meetings at the recommended maximum number of people.
I hike quite often and do not wear a mask while hiking. When passing others, I simply get off to the side of the trail as do other people.
When I am next in line, i will get the vaccine.
I am 61 and enjoy several different types of outdoor activities. I have damaged certain aspects of my health with other activities for a long time.
I do not believe that I have seriously compromised my health, but do NOT want covid and will continue to be very careful.
Hmm wish you the best fish. I’m very lucky in that I’m 25 and active. Not obese or allergy prone etc etc. I had every covid symptom in the book late February - 3/1 or so. Continued working for a week or two whilst having mild flu symptoms and never got anyone sick. Fast forward 3 weeks I got my first snowflake on longs, and believe I now have enough antibodies that it doesn’t matter anymore. I think I did 100 peaks or something last year, not bragging just stating you can overcome it
Be careful, Alec. I think covid antibodies are only supposed to last something like 5 months. Note AccidentalColoradan's experience possibly getting it twice. Glad you recovered well, and hope you (or anyone else) don't get it again.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

greenonion wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 am
Be careful, Alec. I think covid antibodies are only supposed to last something like 5 months. Note AccidentalColoradan's experience possibly getting it twice. Glad you recovered well, and hope you (or anyone else) don't get it again.
This is not true. Every study on this that has come out says "covid antibodies found to last X months" which immediately gets warped into "covid antibodies only last X months". We had this at 3 months too. Somehow this magic virus defies every bit of science we know about immunology, until we keep discovering it acts exactly like every other virus.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... at-least-6

Antibodies also aren't the be-all-end-all of immunization. You have memory T-cells that ramp up production of antibodies in the future as-needed. You don't keep all of your antibodies for everything you have ever been in contact with at all times.

It would be nice if people followed the science on this.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack