COVID recovery

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

COVID recovery

Post by CoHi591 »

I was debating whether to post this because people get weird about COVID discussions but I need to ask.
Without oversharing I will say that I am an incredibly anxious person to the extremes. I live with people who have decided they are bored of precautions and so I have been deeply worried about getting sick.
My question is - those of you that have had it, do you feel like you've been able to fully recover? Runners, cyclists, people who have a high level of fitness and work out a lot, have you been able to get back to where you were before? I realize it's largely up to chance how one's body reacts, but I need some firsthand reassurance that it isn't a life sentence for scarred lungs.

If you're a science non-believer or feel the need to say something rude please spare us all the eye-roll and simply don't respond.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Re: COVID recovery

Post by Sbenfield »

I had it in November. In fact, I realized I had while hiking a few 13ers on Hoosier Pass. It was an uncomfortable day but I powered through it and got tested the next day to confirm.

My symptoms were mild, coughing lasted about 3 weeks. I was able to return to how I was before though! I feel no lingering effects or anything like that.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Mrs Cruiser had it back in mid-late December and despite having had a mild case she is still experiencing lingering symptoms like shortness of breath and irregular fatigue. She's fairly young and healthy otherwise so this extended duration of symptoms has come as a surprise.

Good friend of mine is what they're calling a long haul guy. Early 50s and in good health otherwise but the covid had him in ICU for 5 days and 4 more in a regular hospital bed. 24/7 supplemental oxygen for a month after they discharged him and still, 2 more months later, experiences low pulse ox levels after even mild exercise.

tldr: Don't catch the covid if you can avoid it.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I was borderline being hospitalized back in August. I don't think I fully recovered. My lungs still feel really congested and i sometimes have chest pains.

My son and wife has mild cases while my daughter and I got hit hard.

I still function fine, but I don't think I fully recovered
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

My 91 year old mother is fully recovered. It's devastating for some folks but not all.
Aim high to end high
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i made a full recovery but not everyone is so lucky.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

My symptoms started 4 weeks ago. Tested positive two days after. I am still having trouble with lingering head and chest congestion, fatigue and continued loss of taste and smell. I know exactly how I got it, from my wife, she screwed up. After being careful for almost a year, she let her guard down and went to an indoor happy hour at a restaurant. It seems that we have a thread every week or two about wearing masks outside and I agree, it's unnecessary (I still do it when passing others as a courtesy, but this thing really does not spread outdoors). However, it is NOT safe to be inside a public space without a mask. Just don't do it, it's not worth it. I'm an otherwise healthy, active 51 yo male, 6' 3", 175 lbs with no pre-existing conditions or comorbidities. COVID sucks and it's not like the flu at all.
mgmotomx
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mgmotomx »

My son(7) and I(51)had Covid in July. I had mild symptoms and my son had fever for about 2 hrs. As soon we felt better we went for a test hike of 7miles with backpacks. All went well and a mounth later we where standing on Mt Whitney. I might have some issue with test and smell
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

i've been lucky/careful enough not to have it yet, but from the people I know who have had it, it's completely luck of he draw. An extremely fit friend of mine (now 50) had it nearly a year ago. A big day for him now might be a mile long walk, he's nowhere near where he once was. Before Covid, he'd MTB 100 miles in a day or climb Denali or Huascaran. Another friend also had it nearly a year ago and she still can't taste or smell anything. She said on the upside is she's saving money buying boxed wine since all wine tastes the same now anyway. Also very fit and in her 40's. Then there's one of my sister-in-laws. Cancer survivor, obese, doesn't eat well, doesn't exercise much, older. I was really worried when she got it, but instead she got a little fatigued for a few days and is totally fine now.

Like I said, it's random. Personally I'm going to be as careful as I can be and can't wait to get the vaccine and I hope most people do the same.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

It is amazing how interconnected the world is. A virus starts in China and the world is at risk.

Imagine if the world had a population of 7 billion when the Spanish Flu hit. The estimates is that about 2.5% of the world population died from it. That would be 175 million of the 7 billion today.

By 2100 it is estimated there will be 10.9 billion people on the planet.

More people will probably be killed by climate change but that will not really be addressed because it is slow moving and not dramatic.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Yeah, it seems to be a crapshoot. My wife and I had it in November and we are fine. I had flu-like symptoms for one day and lost taste and smell for about four days. She had a mild cough that persisted for a couple months. My advise to the OP is to keep taking precautions until you can get the vaccine, though I realize it’s tough when the folks around you have given up.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

This type of unknown aftereffects is what is most concerning to me: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... ymptomatic