Peroneal tendonitis

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
James2015
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Peroneal tendonitis

Post by James2015 »

Curious if anyone else has battled peroneal tendonitis (tendons that wrap around the outside of the ankle), and if they've found anything that works for them. Last summer going down through talus on El Diente was excruciating (also crouching low to filter water at creeks seems to trigger it as well), and I can tell it's not gone with a winter of resting. Most advice is pretty simple: do a bunch of calf stretches and ice, or that you should buy new shoes :-) . I'm a neutral pronator, and can get tendonitis in both ankles pretty evenly. Haven't figured out something that helps much, so any info is appreciated.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Peroneal tendonitis

Post by justiner »

I would do all those types of ankle strengthening exercises like tracing the alphabet, as well as getting a hard ball to massage the tendon/muscle. Just lay down on your side and roll the ball up and down using the floor. Pretty intense so take it slowly at first.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

In addition to Justin's suggestions, add in single leg strengthen exercises that focus on balance such as lateral step downs, front foot elevated split squats, single leg balance on an Airex mat or BOSU, or go see a PT since none of this replaces seeing a medical professional or whatever the disclaimer should say.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

dpage wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:32 pm In addition to Justin's suggestions, add in single leg strengthen exercises that focus on balance such as lateral step downs, front foot elevated split squats, single leg balance on an Airex mat or BOSU, or go see a PT since none of this replaces seeing a medical professional or whatever the disclaimer should say.
agree with all aforementioned suggestions, as well as yoga, and single leg deadlifts.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:14 pm Is this a section 8 housing physical therapy forum or a 14er forum??
If a soggy biscuit could speak, this is what it would say.
Make wilderness less accessible.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:02 am
Dave B wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:14 pm Is this a section 8 housing physical therapy forum or a 14er forum??
I’m just here to make myself look bad
Ummm...
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Am I the only one who read this as "perineal tendonitis" and thought what kind of over exertion would cause inflammation of the perineum?!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I dealt with this issue a few years ago in my right ankle. I tried a bunch of PT, and of course it helped, but at the end of the day what fixed it was doing the exercises AND letting it actually rest for 2-3 months. I basically spent a spring focused on mellow class 1/2 kayaking instead of hiking.

The exercises I thought were most helpful were inversion/eversion strengthening with a resistance band, calf raises on the stairs (up with both legs, slow lower on right leg only), and single-leg stands on an inflatable balance bubble. Plus all the obvious and easy calf stretches.

I also used an ankle brace for about a year, and mostly stuck with ankle-high boots instead of trail runners for that entire summer for extra support.

It hasn't been much of an issue since I got it under control. Every now and again I'll get some minor pain, after which I'll spend a week or two re-doing some of the above stretches and strengthening exercises. Fixes it right up.

Good luck!
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
mattb528
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mattb528 »

In addition to the ankle specific exercises already mentioned, I'd recommend general hip/glute strengthening. I've found that anytime I slack on those exercises, things pop up in my hips, knees, and ankles. I do leg raises w/ a band around my ankles, clamshells w/ a band around my knees, and single leg bridges/hip thrusts. Rest on its own has rarely worked out for me for any tendonitis type injury. It's usually a muscle imbalance that needs to be addressed.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

greenonion wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:00 pm
CaptCO wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:02 am
Dave B wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:00 am

I’m just here to make myself look bad
mission accomplished. again.
Ummm...
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

I've also struggled w the same thing since June...with fits and starts, but it's definitely still a problem despite periods of rest, calf stretching, ice, calf raises, foot massage, etc. I more recently started inversion/eversion exercises with a band in the last month that may be making some headway. I'll also note since it hasn't been mentioned that 10 minutes with a foam roller on the outside of my lower calf/high ankle does wonders. I haven't worn an ankle brace, but I did wear KT tape for months this summer when hiking for some additional support, which I felt helped to some degree.

While I know the exact hike where the tendonitis began, I'm also aware that it's the same side of my body that seems to crop up with hip/IT band issues periodically, and I'm sure the continued issues for me are partially due to general strength imbalances causing issues all the way down my lower half. Or just sitting all day for work - gotta stop crossing my legs...

Good luck, and pass along if you figure out things that are productive!
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
James2015
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by James2015 »

Thanks all for taking the time to give advice -- it's good to hear that others have worked (or are working) through it. Sometimes you start PT and it doesn't seem to be doing much, so it's good to know the things that have worked for fellow hikers. Cheers