REI dividend

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

REI dividend

Post by rperth »

Each year, REI Co-op members receive a unique benefit—the REI member dividend—which is your share of REI’s profits of the last year. Since we didn’t earn a profit in 2020, we don’t have those profits to provide to members in the form of a dividend. Even though we didn’t make a profit last year, you’ll receive a member reward equivalent to what your dividend would have been: 10% back on your eligible full-price purchases in 2020. This will feel a lot like the dividend experience you’re used to, and you’ll see your total reward in your account on March 1.

I got this email today. So, we are getting a dividend but they are calling it a reward?
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: REI dividend

Post by ker0uac »

Yea I was confused by that paragraph too. I think for members there's no difference, but there might be one for taxes.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

This year's member reward can't be turned in for cash like the regular dividend, and it expires at the end of this year instead of the end of the year after it was issued. Not much difference for most people, but legally yes, there is a difference.
mark
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

markf wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:44 pm This year's member reward can't be turned in for cash like the regular dividend, and it expires at the end of this year instead of the end of the year after it was issued. Not much difference for most people, but legally yes, there is a difference.

Thanks Mark, that makes sense. TBH, for 25 years I did not know you could turn it in for cash. So, it won’t make any difference to me.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

Because the coop did not turn a profit this year, there is no cash available to pay a "cash" dividend.
Unlike our government, the coop cannot simply print money. If there are no profits, there can be no cash dividends.
So instead of giving coop members a cash dividend, they are giving coop members a "reward" in the same amount they would have received if dividends were issued.
The reward is the same as cash when you buy something at REI. So your reward spends just like cash as REI, but it cannot be spent anywhere else.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
Gene913
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

ker0uac wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:36 pmI think for members there's no difference, but there might be one for taxes.
no tax difference for members. there is an accounting difference for the coop. the coop cannot pay a cash dividend if there are no profits from which dividends are paid.
but the coop can give the cash equivalent of the dividend to members in the form of a "reward" that can only be spent at the coop.
essentially the coop's books are paying the 2020 dividend by discounting prices for members in 2021.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Gene913 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 pm The reward is the same as cash when you buy something at REI. So your reward spends just like cash as REI, but it cannot be spent anywhere else.
Except that you don’t get rewards for next year on purchases with the dividend. Hence why I always get the cash. Oh well. Maybe next year.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

bergsteigen wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:48 pm Except that you don’t get rewards for next year on purchases with the dividend.
True, but you also get 20% off an item when you use your dividend.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Scott P wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:59 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:48 pm Except that you don’t get rewards for next year on purchases with the dividend.
True, but you also get 20% off an item when you use your dividend.
Are you referring to the member coupons? You can always get the 20% off.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Gene913
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

bergsteigen wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:48 pm
Gene913 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:34 pm The reward is the same as cash when you buy something at REI. So your reward spends just like cash as REI, but it cannot be spent anywhere else.
Except that you don’t get rewards for next year on purchases with the dividend. Hence why I always get the cash. Oh well. Maybe next year.
you're right, and I get it. Most people do not convert their dividend into cash and simply use it as a "credit" when they buy more stuff at the coop. For those people, who are the vast majority of coop members, there will be no difference between the normal "dividend" and this year's "reward." The coop does not have the cash to pay a dividend this year, but they are trying to do something. Chalk it up to more COVID-related collateral damage. As you say, Otina, hopefully 2021 will be better and, dare I say it, back to normal??
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

I think I'll go buy a package of fire-starter with my $3.28 dividend.

:mrgreen:
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Well if your dividend is high then you are buying way too much at full price